satellite signal splitting

mattycoops43

Hi

This is not my area of expertise, if it was audio I would have a clue.

My mum had a freesat box, two F type cables from the dish, only one needed for sat box. She wanted to record so we went and got her a recordable freesat box. Now she has that in the living room and the other cable was already run to the front room so we have the old freesat box in the other room.

With me so far?

So we have two cables going to two separate boxes.

Then we realised the recording one wouldn't record because it needs a second cable plugging in to use the second tuner or you can only record the channel yo are watching. so I went and got a signal splitter and put it inline so one cable goes to the record function of the box and then to the second tv.

Problem is we keep losing signal depending what channel is being watched or recorded.

I had a search on sat forums but it is all way over my head they are talking about motorised dishes and things I know not what of. I did pick up something about some channels being positive and some negative signal and one cable only being able to supply wither or.

So, can someone in the know tell me what I need, is it just a booster or a switching box, I read something about a box that prioritises what signal goes where?

Examples of what I need to buy would be great. The splitter was £1.99, hopefully not looking to spend silly money, but what is required?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Problem is we keep losing signal depending what channel is being watched or recorded.

Matt

You need at least a twin LNB on your dish, along with 2 cables from it to your sat box(es)

the "Master" box powers up the cable, which then dictates which channels the "slave" box (connected to the same cable) can views.

thats why you're having problems with not being able to get certain channels on one box whilst the other box is on other channels.

I saw somewhere about an auto switching splitter that prioritised signal and send it accordingly, but I don't really know enough to buy something. I think the LNB is possibly the thing but don't want to run another cable as it's a rented house and she has to get permission for any changes like that.

Basically you need to run two (sets) of cables from a four-port (i.e. twin) LNB on the dish for full operation.

However, if you have a four-port (twin) LNB and only 1 cable is in use from each LNB (i.e. only 2 cables running 2 seperate boxes and you can select different channels on each box), then you need to run another cable to the box which you wish to watch one channel whilst recording another.

If you only have a single LNB (2-port) and the two cables are connected to two seperate boxes, then you are 'stuffed'. You will need to buy a dual LNB (4-port) and replace it for the single you have fitted. A simple 'signal splitter' will not work properly.

All the above may be proved wrong by an 'expert' but that is my understanding.

:cheers:

Bogof, we have two cables, but it's going to two boxes!

It's a few years since I installed professionally, but unless things have changed dramatically you will need a twin (or quad) LNB with at least 2 cables running from the LNB into the house.

You can get a signal to 2 boxes from a single LNB so long as you only ever watch 2 vertically or 2 horizontally polarised channels. If you want total independence on channel choice on 2 boxes, a twin or quad LNB is needed (unless you want another dish, or want to instal another single on your existing dish)

Yes thanks. I am starting to get the idea how it works now.

I haven't got as far as looking at the dish yet, but we had two boxes working perfectly off the two cables so I think it must be a twin LNB, the problem was when we tried to connect the split cable to the third receiver (the record function on the hard drive).

Have been advised to get a booster box that has multi out's as its a rented house and she has to get permission to run any cables or change any of the fittings at all.