Clutch Control & Power HELP!

Guest raabey

I have an Aprilia RS 125 ( restricted :cry: )

And setting off is really f****** annoying! On a flat road then I'm fine, and can set off normally, but any sort of incline makes me want to get off the bike and kick it over!

Any time I try and set off (or come to a hard corner which requires me to go <5mph), then I get so frustrated at my lack of power (and end up taking a while to get from 0mph - 10mph). And it really does my head in!

My question is: What can I do to set off better on inclines/maybe shift power to lower end (which is probably not possible)

Oh and I don't want to rev it to 6000rpm+ and let the clutch out, I'd prefer to keep it on the lower down revs!

Cheers guys!

Hi, is the bike stock apart from the restrictor? If the engine is running fine you might want to check the gearing. If the sprockets have been change to give it more top speed you will suffer trying to launch it. Have a tooth count on the front and rear sprockets. If there stock you might want to consider dropping a tooth on the rear sprocket to help you get away.

Well it hasn't got a restrictor, but to "derestrict" it, you add a powervalve, aftermarket exhaust etcetc so its more modifications which you do! Yeah engine is fine! Everything is stock! But yeah that's a brilliant idea which I've missed :| Thanks

My question is: What can I do to set off better on inclines/maybe shift power to lower end (which is probably not possible)

Oh and I don't want to rev it to 6000rpm+ and let the clutch out, I'd prefer to keep it on the lower down revs!

More revs is probably the only way without modifying the bike (which would possibly be illegal, and would possibly invalidate your insurance unless you notify your insurer of the mods carried out)

The RS125 is a great little bike. Sounds to me like you have a fueling problem as they should get off the line pretty smartish even in restricted form.

really it sounds like you need to address the lack of power before messing with sprocket changing.

The RS125 is a great little bike. Sounds to me like you have a fueling problem as they should get off the line pretty smartish even in restricted form.

really it sounds like you need to address the lack of power before messing with sprocket changing.

No I believe it's the way the power is delivered, naturally. I.e. 0-6000rpm = 0-4bhp and then from 6000+ gives me 4-15bhp.... It's that negligent power which I want to increase!

I could easily rev it to 10krpm and hill start easily etc but I don't really want to go around revving the s*** out of it when I'm stood still...

most 2 strokes bog down at low revs!

It just goes with the territory I'm afraid,

Rev the nuts off it! everybody else does :lol:

Everyone will love you for it too. I love the smell of 2 strokes!

I put a drop of two stroke oil in my lawnmower so when mowing the lawn I get the awesome smell!

most 2 strokes bog down at low revs!

It just goes with the territory I'm afraid,

Rev the nuts off it! everybody else does :lol:

Everyone will love you for it too. I love the smell of 2 strokes!

I put a drop of two stroke oil in my lawnmower so when mowing the lawn I get the awesome smell!

I also put 2 stroke oil in my lawnmower... Don't know if you've heard of them but they're called Aprilia RS 125's... :lol:

Hi, is the bike stock apart from the restrictor? If the engine is running fine you might want to check the gearing. If the sprockets have been change to give it more top speed you will suffer trying to launch it. Have a tooth count on the front and rear sprockets. If there stock you might want to consider dropping a tooth on the rear sprocket to help you get away.

im sorry this post confused me a little..

Your saying about the gearing may of been changed to give more top speed, which would make the pickup sluggish, i agree..

BUt if thats the case.. Why would be want to drop a tooth on the rear sprocket?

Dropping a rear tooth gives more top speed again.

So if his gearing has already been changed for more top speed, and messing up his pickup, why would he want to make it suffer more??

Adding a tooth to the rear sprocket improves acceleration and torque distribution.... Not dropping a tooth

im sorry this post confused me a little..

Your saying about the gearing may of been changed to give more top speed, which would make the pickup sluggish, i agree..

BUt if thats the case.. Why would be want to drop a tooth on the rear sprocket?

Dropping a rear tooth gives more top speed again.

So if his gearing has already been changed for more top speed, and messing up his pickup, why would he want to make it suffer more??

Adding a tooth to the rear sprocket improves acceleration and torque distribution.... Not dropping a tooth

Lol Mate your absolutely right! Must be my age catching up on me!! :wink: :!: :? He needs to put a tooth on not off. Sorry to confuse you all :cheers: