My indicators keep blowing fuses!

mealexme

So, i took off the stock indicators and put on some new shiny Oxford ones.

The packet had resistors included if needed. I needed them (this was confirmed when I tried it accidentally without the resistor and the flash rate was too fast, with the resistor it was exactly right) The packet said the resistors are suited for when replacing 21w bulbs. I've checked and the bulbs I have replaced are indeed 21w.

Yet somehow I've manged to blow the fuse. I checked the wiring and presumed the fuse was just on its way out anyway,so I replaced it. What was odd though is there was a 15amp in there, when the labels clearly 10amp. Anyway, I changed it for a spare 10amp but I think because the wrong ampage (thats a word, right?) was used in the first place, it caused issues with the relay - as in every time I turned the indicator on, it would stay on and not flash. Turning the ignition off and on again didnt help, but strangely removing the relay from the bike and re-plugging it in seemed to do the trick.

So I presume all is well, I test it out a few times, on off on off etc all is fine. A few minutes pass and I turn them on one last time just to make sure everything is still ok and nothing. I'm out of fuses too, so I can't test any further.

The thing is though, there is no visible shorting of the indicators, the correct resistors were used and I can't think of any other reason it would keep blowing the fuse

Also why was there a 15 amp in there before? Maybe the previous owner had the same problem? But there weren't any LED indicators on it when I bought it

Anyone got any ideas to how i can stop it from blowing fuses?

Hi have the indicators worked at all since you have fitted them? The fuse is not an issue here, the difference between a 10 amp fuse and a 15 amp fuse is that a 10amp fuse will carry 120 watts and a 15amp fuse will carry 180 watts, being that your indicators only require power to light 2 x 21 watts plus the flasher unit you have plenty of power spare with a 10amp fuse. Check you resistors are connected correctly.

yea, the indicators have worked fine. The flash rate is correct and they are super bright. I've had them working a couple of minutes at a time, but they have blown twice between them working fine if that makes sense. So they would work fine, blow the fue, work fine again the blow a fuse

yea, the indicators have worked fine. The flash rate is correct and they are super bright. I've had them working a couple of minutes at a time, but they have blown twice between them working fine if that makes sense. So they would work fine, blow the fue, work fine again the blow a fuse

Replace the relay and/or check all 4 indicator circuits for high resistance (probably caused by a bad earth)

Fuses are over-current protection devices. If a 10a fuse pops repeatedly, there'll be a reason for it, most likely that a fault is causing too much current to be drawn by the circuit. Poor earth will cause it, or a fault with the relay (which could also explain why someone fitted a 15a at some stage)

So check the relay by substitution, and then check each circuit with a multimeter.