Rust

Glorian

Hey guys, i've just cleaned my bike again cause it was getting filthy,

Washed it over with some hot soapy water.

Then go over alll chrome parts (within reach) with chrome polish, but my exhaust has a couple bigger marks (can't get off at all!) and some smaller spots, good majority of it came off with chrome polsih but still looks a bit meh :(

I heard coca cola? Olive oil? Steel wool.

But i don't want to damage the exhaust so has anyone tried these or got some tips?

Cheers!

oooh, a chrome exhaust? Thats annoying. Most things will scratch.

Try Kurust. Follow the instructions but instead of using wire wool, press hard with a cloth.

Tin foil will work also, as tiggie said. I cannot remember if this scratches chrome or not though, so give it a go somewhere thats not noticeable first.

cola works, but not very well. Its something you need to submerge it in. Vinegar works brilliantly, but again it needs to be submerged because as soon as it comes into contact with the air, it will rust up again before your very eyes. Ketchup works, but A) will drip off and B) takes a few hours to work, so again ideally needs to be submerged in the stuff

Apart from that, most other stuff is going to destroy the chrome I think.

I have never heard about using olive oil before

You won't get rid of the rust, just slow it down a bit. Exhausts also rot from the inside, so being as your bike is Chinese, I think, it will very soon dissolve into a heap of ferous oxide. Either buy a replacement stainless exhaust or better still unload it onto some poor, unsuspecting dealer and buy a decent Japanese bike. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I use Doktor Power general powder cleaner - add water and use the scourer that comes with it. Some rust spots you have to spend a lot of time, that's more than 5 minutes! - just to remove one small spot. it does work though. Probably like most chrome cleaners, there's no quick fix, or leave it soaking and spray with water and it's magically gone products, it's just good old hard work, I've found. I usually spend an hour or two doing my chrome once or twice a year.

m312. is that stuff abrasive? If the chrome is thin and rusting already, then it won't last long with an abrasive polish. Solvol Autosol is a brilliant polish, but it is also abrasive. Try to find a non abrasive polish, especially with thin chrome, but you are only slightly delaying the inevitable. as soon as you can, go stainless. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Or buy a Triumph......stainless exhausts as standard on most models..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

I like that idea, my wallet does not :D Plus i'd likely ruin it as i'm so new ^^ Maybe in a few years.

just googled that sinnis cafe 125 you have there, Glorian. Why don't the big Japanese manufacturers make a bike like that?! it's a very attractive bike.

Cheers =D I do love how it looks and i get so many heads turning around the town (and at college girls love it ;) )

That,s how they sell them. They build a really good looking bike to tempt new riders, but the quality, longevity and spares back up just isn,t there. Look at resale prices.

That is true, I'm hoping regular maintenance and not crashing it (again) will keep it going for a while, and i'm sure i can re-sell it to some new 17 year old in the future =D Convince him to join the cafe racer movement!

Coca cola works because of the phosphoric acid. Cillit bang contains a lot more than cola. The iron oxide is converted to iron phosphate which is black and forms a seal to prevent further reaction in that spot. I'm not sure if it will work on a Chinese bike because they are built from used chewing gum and bogeys. 8-)

I'm not sure if it will work on a Chinese bike because they are built from used chewing gum and bogeys. 8-)

Naaaaah, you're being too generous - chewing gum doesn't dissolve in winter.

Must've muttered "f**king monkey metal" under my breath a good two dozen times while cleaning mine earlier today.