Bi Compound Tyres!!

Guest raabey

Hi!

Looking for a new pair of tyres for my RS 125! Front tyre is split and rear tyre is almost bald.

I'm looking at a bi-compound tyre such as the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II.

I'm looking for some tyres which are good in winter and have the ability to lean hard... Like most riders I'll be having days out and I'm a bit apprehensive of my current tyres!

Cheers

P.s. I live in the country side where the roads are very up and down and bendy so am I right to say that I'll need some pointier profile tyres?

Hi!

Looking for a new pair of tyres for my RS 125! Front tyre is split and rear tyre is almost bald.

I'm looking at a bi-compound tyre such as the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II.

I'm looking for some tyres which are good in winter and have the ability to lean hard... Like most riders I'll be having days out and I'm a bit apprehensive of my current tyres!

Cheers

P.s. I live in the country side where the roads are very up and down and bendy so am I right to say that I'll need some pointier profile tyres?

From that description of your tyres alone, l would say you are very lucky even to be posting this thread. Mr think about it! Those tyres are your only connection between this world and the next. Forget about buying trick tyres, stock tyres are more than good enough for road use "if kept in good condition", there's no tyres available and never will be that allow you to tear around in the winter. Winter riding is all about staying safe and surviving don't become another statistic. Be it pushbike moped or superbike never disregard your tyres. Note: If your lucky and don't crash you might get caught by the police for that you'll be nicked get 3 points per tyre and might be forced into a retest, if you have an off the insurance company will wash there hands of you.

I might be coming across as sounding like an old fart going on at you here Mate, but I've lost some good Mates along the way doing much the same. Stay safe, save the tearing around for the summer and track days.

:stupid:

Yeah.....you've really got to keep a good eye on your tyres mate......don't compromise on them.....your only contact with the road is 2 bits of rubber with a contact patch no bigger than a credit card each......if they give way then the next bit that contacts the road is you..... :shock:

Anyhoo......I had Pirelli's on the Sprint last time and I wasn't impressed....but others have had better experiences with them..... :wink: TBH most of the tyres from the top manufacturers are pretty good....with I think Michelin and Bridgestone probably leading the pack at the moment..... 8-) Most tyres these days are dual compound......so you need to consider what you want from the tyres. The grippier sport compound tyres are better for sportier riding, but tend to wear faster.....whereas the sport touring tyres still have plenty of grip, but tend to have a harder wearing compound in the centre of the tyre to improve tyre life......and they are generally pretty good with cornering too. I've got Michelin Pilot Road 3's on the Speed Triple.....and I have to say that they are pretty confidence inspiring....and are wearing well so far......but that comes at a price premium..... :wink:

So, decide what sort of riding you mainly do.....and if longevity is an important factor and see what's available for your bike..... 8-)

Thanks guys, but Chris, you seem to assume that I'm an irresponsible rider and tear my bike up and down the roads without maintaining it properly.

The "split" tyre is a very tiny split but I am getting a new pair fitted tomorrow (Diablo Rosso II)... I'm obviously demonstrating the importance of getting new tyres by asking for advice about them.

The tyres are not illegal and I am making sure I'm being as safe as I can.

I will, and do, stay as safe as I can... Well... Staying as safe as I can is by not riding at all, but you get it anyway..

Thanks for the advice on the tyres and I'm excited to get them tomorrow

Thanks guys, but Chris, you seem to assume that I'm an irresponsible rider and tear my bike up and down the roads without maintaining it properly.

The "split" tyre is a very tiny split but I am getting a new pair fitted tomorrow (Diablo Rosso II)... I'm obviously demonstrating the importance of getting new tyres by asking for advice about them.

The tyres are not illegal and I am making sure I'm being as safe as I can.

I will, and do, stay as safe as I can... Well... Staying as safe as I can is by not riding at all, but you get it anyway..

Thanks for the advice on the tyres and I'm excited to get them tomorrow

Hi Mate l've read it as you wrote it, you made no mention of tiny split or road legal you just said split and almost bald to me that's scary and needed a mention. The stock tyres fitted to your bike are well tested and more than good enough for you to run on the roads. For sure l think that once you have ran the new tyres in, you will be very very surprised just how much performance you have lost in the old tyres especially if you fit identical tyres to the one's your taking off. As said, make sure you run the new tyres in and don't be leaning to hard into the corners during the winter months, wait till the sun comes out!

Stay safe

PS Sorry for the rant, but better to say and try and avoid a drama than say nothing.

Hi chap I've recently brought a pair of Michelin pilot powers for my 1997 CBR600 f and I have to say I'm very impressed so far, like yourself I live in the countryside and ride on country roads were mud, puddles and random tractors are common. There quick to warm up sticky even in the wet and cold and still good when breaking and not a bad price either I've checked on Ebay and for a pair for you is around £168...

Anyway chat hope that helps you out.