Burning oil???

Guest pooley

Hey i'm pooley and im new here and after a little help.

Ive had a honda city fly 125 since 2001 from new and have had no problems so far,its a great little bike.

The other day i noticed my bike looked oily so gave it a clean,a few days later i noticed the same thing so i cleaned it again and checked the oil level! it didnt have any oil on the dipstick so i drained the oil out the sump (3/4 of a pint) had some metal shavings in the oil,bit worried about this.

i filled it up with fresh oil and ran it and it appears not to be leaking oil but a little bit of smoke is coming from the area where the the exhaust meets the engine!!?? what does this mean?

i last had my bike serviced in august and had the oil changed!

is my bike screwed?

Any help would be brilliant,thanks in advance!!!

Hey i'm pooley and im new here and after a little help.

Ive had a honda city fly 125 since 2001 from new and have had no problems so far,its a great little bike.

The other day i noticed my bike looked oily so gave it a clean,a few days later i noticed the same thing so i cleaned it again and checked the oil level! it didnt have any oil on the dipstick so i drained the oil out the sump (3/4 of a pint) had some metal shavings in the oil,bit worried about this.

i filled it up with fresh oil and ran it and it appears not to be leaking oil but a little bit of smoke is coming from the area where the the exhaust meets the engine!!?? what does this mean?

i last had my bike serviced in august and had the oil changed!

is my bike screwed?

Any help would be brilliant,thanks in advance!!!

I'd be worried too. Metal shavings in the oil means one or more internal components has suffered serious damage. You need to get used to checking the oil level regularly, not just waiting till you notice a problem. What does the engine sound like?

Welcome to TMBF mate.......pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the gang when you can....... 8-)

So....where was the oil that you cleaned off the bike? Metal shavings in the oil is not normally a good sign.....and could have come from almost anywhere in the engine.... :shock: If oil is getting onto the exhaust manifold or is around that area I'd be looking at head gasket.....or rocker/cam cover gaskets at a guess. Obviously checking the oil level is something that needs to be done regularly as others have discovered to their cost....... :wink:

Thanks for getting back to me!

The metal shavings were aluminium and i tested this with a magnet,so could it be the clutch that's taken damage or casing?

The oil was all over the engine block and that general area.

After i put fresh oil in i gave the bike a good clean put a white cloth underneath and ran the bike for about 20 mins with and without revs and not a single drop of oil fell from the bike,only the smoking from where the exhaust meets the engine which did leave a black residue (oil)on the area.

It's done just under 2000 miles since the last service in august.I just checked this and had not realised i had gone that far!

The oil i drained out was only about 3/4 of a pint and it was really black!

I have no unusual noises or knocking coming from the engine and it runs the same as it always has done.

how much oil is it meant to hold as 3/4 pint is roughly(dont need to leap on me people i said roughly)1/2 litre and bike might only hold 1 litre so knowing that will help with possible woes inside the engine,but you will always get small pieces of alloy in the oil when draining it,so you might of got away without doing serious damage but let us know how much oil it is meant to hold