Berlin

Glorian

Thinking of taking the missus there for our 6th anniversary, anyone recomend good place to stay and things to do? Always wanted to visit (totally not for the beer and sausage :P :cheers: )

Cheers guys and girls :)

I do not know about places to stay as I crash with a friend. As for places to visit

The old east Berlin centre at Alexander Platz and the Fernsehturm, the revolving restaurant has the best views and it is where I got engaged!

Checkpoint Charlie and the museum there. The East Side gallery has the longest remaining part of the Wall. The rest of the wall is marked by cobble stones set into the road.

A stroll down Under Der Linden, the various museums and galleries there to the Brandenburg Gate and visit the Reichstag. A stroll round the Tiergarten and if you are good with heights a climb up the Siegessaule. A stroll down the shopping road of Kurfurstendamn (Ku'dam) and the old West Berlin centre at the Broken Tooth Church.

The Olympic Stadium.

Catch Bus 100 which goes past many of the best tourist sights including some of the above. It is the normal service bus, not a tour.

This is a good site

http://www.visitberlin.de/en/see/sights ... erlin-wall

Berlin is a brilliant place. So much to do. The holocaust museum is a must - it's a very emotional experience as are many of the Cold War memorials. The shopping is great and the people all speak English. Very easy to get around as there are buses, overground and underground rail services. Many interesting bars, cafés and restaurants. Bear in mind the city is huge (it's really two cities stitched together). You'll enjoy it. It and New York are my two fav cities.

They all know English but will pretend not to unless you try and speak German. Once you try they will give in and speak to you in English. I suppose to them we sound a bit like the copper in Allo Allo!! Good moaning!! Lol

Actually I'm just thinking it's 30 years since I was there. Wall was up and Checkpoint Charlie was in full flow. Travelled through into the East and toured some sights there. Amazing city from what I remember. Must revisit soon!!

I remember visiting when it was two cities. The East Berliners liked my English accent and the East had buses every thirty seconds, but they only had a few seats and lots of standing space....... due to the fact that there were so many busses.... communist logic I suppose.

The only unfriendly people I met were the Russians, but to be fair the Yank GIs I bumped into West Germany were generally obnoxious too.

Learn some of the lingo it will help. I hope to go to Lake Constance in southern Germany next year. It's where a lot of Germans go for their holidays.

Thanks for all the help guys ^^ i always TRY (enthasis on that word) to speak their language when i visit foreign countries, i'm fairly comfortable with german compared to any other language so i hope i will be ok :)

Holocaust mueseum is definately on my list to do, the missus wants to see it also. Maybe a brewery tour also? haha!