'97 FZR600 Wiring Questions

TheOnlyJoe

Hi folks,

Hopefully someone can help :)

I'm riding a 97 FZR600 and having a couple of electrical issues.

The 2 main symptoms I have are:

-No background lights to the guages - indicator lights, low fuel, neutral etc work fine

-occasionally bike loses power and stalls. When pulling over, all the indicator etc lights work fine, however the starter motor won't turnover. Could not hear if the fuel pump still works.

If I jiggle the wires at the back of the ignition barrel, this seems to fix the problem. Although I still have no lights to my gauges.

The PO has done a bit of a bodge job on the bike - for example the reserve switch on the LHS fairing is not wired to anything, so there is electrical tape everywhere on this.

I've opened it up a little bit around the ignition barrel, and there are the 2 wires which I believe to be the neutral and the live running to the ignition barrel. There are also 2 wires coming from the ignition barrel which are left loose and not connected to anything. There are 2 wires coming from the bike, but not connected to anything - they are just wired into one side of a plastic connector, with nothing connected to the other side.

Would this be the source of the problem or should I look elsewhere?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi eastanglianbiker

I know the bulbs on the gauges are good as they come on intermittently with the wiring problem as mentioned above.

In terms of the ignition itself, I can't see any plug, however I haven't stripped the wires all the way back - there is still electrical tape all over.

I'm planning on taking a closer look this weekend