Nottingham...?

Rik398

Went for a Jo interview in Nottingham today. Exploring my options and looks good and suited to my skills.

While I was there, I googled best places to live in Nottingham. Now, I am a Devon lad and always have been, but I was kind of shocked at what came up.

I was obviously expecting more crime and stuff than Devon, but aparanately it is a bit of a hell hole up there.

I don't need the job as such, but it is suited to my skills and was with a look.

Just wondering if anyone had any views / experience of the place? Got a young child and other half to bring with me so if it is all true rather than media hype it may he a bad move.

Cheers folks

I live in Notts have done best part of my life. Like most major cities, inner city crime rate is getting well out of hand, rural it's not so bad. The U/K in general is getting out of hand.

head north into derbyshire countryside if you want. I'm about an hour away in rush hour traffic, half that if its quiet. Its a bit of a commute for you but loads of tiny villages and towns overlooking the beautiful green hills. Cheap houses too.

Cheers folks.

I kinda guessed that it would be blown a bit out of proportion. Probably not great but not as bad as made out kind of thing.

Will look at places within about an hour or so as well.

I moved to Nottingham in 2000 - there are 3 areas I wouldn't want to live in. Aspley. St Ann's and The Meadows.

I live in Mapperley - which is 2 miles from the City Centre.. Its a great area. Handy for the City Centre but also close to the countryside - two miles and I'm out of the City completely. There has been a number of new developments recently built as well as some rather nice conversions - most notably of a large former Hospital. If you're more used to the rural life then the choices are pretty endless - particularly in the former mining villages that lie to the north of the city. All of which I would happily live in.

Nottingham's a great city.

I've lived in Radford/Lenton, which was Rough. I also lived on the Mapperly Park/ St Ann's border and didn't get a spot of trouble there.

Crime in Nottingham is blown well out of proportion and is concentrated in a few areas.

Move to a decent part of Nottingham and you won't experience any more crime than you would have done in Devon.

i am notts born n bred, I dont live there but my family do and I miss the place. My brother lives in Mapperly now, has lived in the city for last 5 yrs, my rents live out towards mansfield. It all depends on where you are going to be working as to where you would want to live. drop me a pm and I could help you and also put you in touch with a fair few bikers up there so you would fit in straight away.

Yes its crime rate is high but that depends on where you are, its a big multicultural city so there is bound to be crime. but at the end of the day its a vibrant and accepting city. you are allowed to be who you want to be there unlike some places (not naming swansea as closed minded at all)

I would say go for it, you wont regret, my mate will help you with school decisions and things like that i am sure, her little one is flying through school.

Been here in Nottingham for 5 years this time around. Pick theright area and you wont have any problems. Loads of good rides out in the area!

Give me a shout if you want any more info.

We shall see. Interview was not exactly brilliant and company very very small.

If it was to happen we would be moving to the west Bridgford area which is ok as far as I can gather.

Thanks folks

Its a fairly unique psychological research place that looks at how people react to brands and certain types of advertising. They then take this information to design more effective solutions. Consumer insight and design from a psychological perspective really.

I am just seeing what is out there mainly seeing as I am on an unintentional break from PGCE.

I also managed to get an interview with Triumph as a business analyst. Sadly didn't get that, though thinking I may have been punching slightly above my weight with that one. But it did make me decide that data analysis / research analyst kind of thing is probably the way to go for me.

Been living in notts 10 years now.You can get some nice places near the city.A lot of nice areas on the outskirts.

My other half was from Mapperly which was nice but she lived close to St Anns which meant all the criminals had easy access to our road.Got Burgled once.

But if you move further away up Mapperly plains road its a bit further out and near the countryside.

Places like Burton Joyce,Lambley, west bridgford are nice.You can also move a junction or two down the motorway towards Derbyshire, which is where I live now.

There are rough places like any city but its not that bad tbh as far as cities go.The city centre is good and as long as you don't live in the areas notorious for drugs or chavs you wont have any worries.