chain chatter

Guest raabey

After stupidly running out of scottoil my chain became dry and worn.... Therefore loose... After lubing it and adjusting it, there's some chatter near the front sprocket... What can it be?

It sounds like your chain has worn to excess :crybaby: Where it's stretched it's catching on the tips of the front sprocket causing it to chatter, the other give away will be when you drop the throttle it'll start a clicking noise with the chatter :scratch: In the workshop manual there's a way of measuring the wear but there are a couple of different ways as I recall :bang: Hope you can sort it but it might be due depending on the mileage and the way it's been used although the Scotoiler does prolong the life but it depends on how many miles it's been without lube :scratch:

Damn... Thanks for the info! It has probably done ~500miles without scottoil! Just lubed the s*** out of it with mucoff chain lube!

Yes I've checked the manual and will measure it soon.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a new chain & sprockets :cry:

Did you clean the chain first?? It looked a bit grubby when I saw it.

Haha no I didn't!

Just bought some WD40 chain cleaner, a chain cleaner brush and some more scottoil from amazon :)

It seemed to suddenly happen to be honest!

Would carrying a pillion have much/any effect on it?

Carrying a passenger can add to chain wear as you're effectively compressing the rear suspension and going over a bump can put stress on the chain. That's if the suspension hasn't been adjusted before riding with a passenger.

Best tool I ever used for chain cleaning was a Kettenmax - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/kettenmax-chain-cleaner/ - absolutely brilliant, does a really clean job every time, and no faff lubing it up afterwards. They're about £40 but I'm sure I got mine for about £25, mine's red with black bits whereas the genuine Kettenmax is blue with yellow bits.

If you do need to get your chain and sprockets done, the best place I found for price was the Demon Tweaks website - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/. Heavy duty DID chain and sprocket kit for my Blackbird came in at £30 less than the competition and the sprockets are decent as well.

If you're going to do it yourself and don't have a chain breaker/riveter then let me know before buying one because mine is surplus to requirements. Used it once on my Blackbird, in as new condition, I won't use it again for a while because I sold the Blackbird and bought a BMW (shaft driven not chain). This is the one: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/mx-off-ro ... eter-vs779 . £30+postage it's yours (or anyone else who wants it PM me!).

For giggles have a read of my thread about the journey I went on to discover my chain and sprockets needed changing viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54189&hilit