"I am calling about your recent accident"

XmisterIS

I've suddenly (in last couple of weeks) had a spate of spam calls, both real people and automated messages, asking me about my "recent car accident".

I've just now finished speaking on the phone to a human caller, after a lot of badgering I managed to get him to tell me which car I drive and when the accident happened.

To my great bewilderment, he told gave me the CORRECT make, model, colour and year of my previous car and said that the accident had happened within the last three months. I then played dumb and tried to get him to tell me the address to which the car was registered, but he wouldn't/couldn't tell me, so at that point I gave up.

I sold the car over a year ago on EBay and the chap I sold the car to seemed a little "dodgy" (shall we say) and I wouldn't put it past him to try and palm off some dodgy doings as my fault. It took me a while to convince him to give me his details for the New Keeper bit on the V5 (I said I would not sell it to him otherwise), I then took a copy of this and posted it myself, in person, to the DVLA, recorded signed-for, and sent them a letter telling them to expect a recorded signed-for new keeper's bit from me (I did all this because I got a very bad vibe off the "dodgy" chap buying the car and I wanted to leave nothing to chance).

Now, this has me confused for the following reasons:

1) I did all the DVLA paperwork and I have a copy of the confirmation letter from the DVLA confirming that I am no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle. (This is incredibly important, IMHO!)

2) I moved house to a different area about a month after I'd sold the car, and the new keeper had no idea that I was moving, because obviously I didn't tell him (You don't do that kind of idiot thing anyway, do you?).

So how the flinking blip have these people (the cold callers that is) managed to link my old car to me at my new address? I was scrupulously careful not to tell the "geezer" who bought my car a damn thing about myself.

Any ideas?

marketing data from insurance companies

you know the tick box that sometimes catches you out :wink:

I wouldnt worry about it and when you do get them ask them to remove your details off their system they have to do this once you ask them

that would explain it! I was getting a little worried - not overly though because I did the most important thing and sent off the stuff to DVLA (It's amazing how many people seem not do that and get into bother because of it!), plus the dodgy geezer has no idea where I live.

Tell them they are holding incorrect details about you on their system, which is an offence under the Data Protection Act. Then ask for the company name and address details and tell them you will be reporting them to the Information Commissioner. You are doing that because

http://ico.org.uk/news/latest_news/2014 ... s-01092014

"The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has issued a £70,000 fine to a Devon marketing firm responsible for hundreds of nuisance calls. The latest fine takes the value of the penalties served by the ICO on companies making live nuisance calls to over £500,000 as it continues to tackle the problem."

they often state we have got some much money on hold for the accident you have had soon as they say that i just ask them to send me the money as they have just said its mine then there is no reason to withhold it anymore as they have found me,they soon backtrack on what they are saying then.you will often get these kind of calls shortly after looking for insurance quotes online like stu says make sure you tick or untick which ever they tell you to do for no telemarketing

they often state we have got some much money on hold for the accident you have had soon as they say that i just ask them to send me the money as they have just said its mine then there is no reason to withhold it anymore as they have found me,they soon backtrack on what they are saying then.you will often get these kind of calls shortly after looking for insurance quotes online like stu says make sure you tick or untick which ever they tell you to do for no telemarketing

:stupid:

And click through every link and terms and conditions that's on there, I've seen a few where they hide the ticky boxes at the end of the terms and conditions for "leave me alone"

My personal favourite being one where the terms and conditions appeared in a pop up window with the ticky boxes at the bottom and then you just close the window and there's no record whether you ticked the boxes or not :lol:

I watched a documentary the other day on this (blaggers).

It's quite a profitable business for people to attain your details and pass them on to others. There are various ways for them to obtain details about you and it doesn't even have to be you that spoke to them - perhaps it was a "police officer" calling to a member of your family to eliminate you from their "enquiry".

Nothing about you and your private information is unobtainable, even solicitors pay for the service of blaggers...

Scary!

I have just had one of these bast*rds ring me!!!

they are getting closer the number was a local area number politely told him to remove my name and number from their records

usually I just ignore numbers I dont know :lol:

I sometimes keep them talking and make up an accident. I once kept one on the phone for 30 mins. He even carried on when I said I didn't receive any money form the crash as I had died. I then said my mate in the car had died as well.

I usually tell them they have the wrong details and tell them some duff address and email

I wouldnt worry about it and when you do get them ask them to remove your details off their system they have to do this once you ask them

Haha, you think? I remember every other day getting a phone call from the same company, every time telling them to take us off the system and to stop calling, they still rang back a couple of days later...

I do like to string them along sometimes, when I have some time to burn

I had a rash of these calls a few months back. I considered it good sport to wind up the caller as much as possible.

When I got bored of it I started telling them that it couldn't have been me as I'm blind/have no legs etc - the calls stopped pretty soon after that. :-)

I had a call from one of these claims management firms this morning.

Them - Did you know that the injuries you sustained in your recent accident could be worth up to £4000?

Me - What accident are you referring to?

Them - Our records indicate that you were injured in a crash recently.

Me - OK, so assuming that I was injured in a crash, is that £4000 for general damages or special damages?

Them - What do you mean?

Me - Personal injury claims are divided into two categories as laid down by the civil procedure rules, general damages and special damages, so what category is the £4000?

Them - For your injuries

Me - You do not know the extent of the injuries (if I had sustained anything) but in any case, assuming I had been injured, give me one good reason why I should place my claim with you?

Them - we are experts in dealing with personal injury claims.

Me - But you have no idea what General or special damages are?

Them - You seem to know a lot about it.

Me - I work in personal injury law and I work for a regulated law firm

Them - Click, buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz other end terminates the call :D

Result :cheers: