What's in a name?

Mr Fro

With our upcoming nuptials, discussion has come up around names...

Traditionally, the new wifey takes the blokes name but the girlies new name combo sounds a bit... shite. :-)

Either she can put up with it, I change my surname (I personally like Flashheart :-)), or I can take her surname which would sound okay on the end of my first name but would raise a few eyebrows and probably give rise to questions around the wearer of the trousers.

What do you think - what would you do?

I took my wifes surname when we got married. Although it's not as straightforward as it is for a woman to take her husband's name. I changed mine by deed six months before the wedding. I have to say that no one ever commented about trouser wearing or even raised an eyebrow. It was just accepted as what I wsnted to do. I suppose it depends what kind of people you hang around with.

Double barrelled?

Is that what you're planning to do??

(Hiis fiancee is Greek with an unpronounceable surname)

I don't think it'd fit on any standard forms at what...18 characters?

And either way...no chance!

I took my wifes surname when we got married. Although it's not as straightforward as it is for a woman to take her husband's name. I changed mine by deed six months before the wedding. I have to say that no one ever commented about trouser wearing or even raised an eyebrow. It was just accepted as what I wsnted to do. I suppose it depends what kind of people you hang around with.

Interesting - what (if any) were the issues with changing by deed-poll? How did it work out with passport, driving license etc?

Just let her keep her surname, if you have kids then you can insist it takes your surname unless you don't like it, in which case you can give it her surname.

There doesn't have to be a surname change just because of marriage... I find it a bit old fashioned now anyway :lol:

or I can take her surname which would sound okay on the end of my first name but would raise a few eyebrows and probably give rise to questions around the wearer of the trousers.

What do you think - what would you do?

Don't worry about that. There is very little doubt about who wears the trousers in a marriage! :lol:

All the very best to both of you for the wedding and your life together. :cheers:

BTW, Flasheart is awesome. Do that.

'That's enough about you, let's talk about me! Hey is that canoe in your pants or are you just pleased to see me. Hurrah!'

Interesting - what (if any) were the issues with changing by deed-poll? How did it work out with passport, driving license etc?

I can chip in here and answer this since I've recently been through the process. It's really simple: just request the relevant form from the DVLA/passport office/bank/whoever and send it back along with a photcopy/certified copy of your Deed Poll certificate. Most places then update your details in just a few days. Easy peasy.

It was all very simple. I went to the CAB to ask how to do it and they did it on the spot. The adviser wrote out the deed stating that I surrenered all rights to the use of my previous name and from that date I would be legally known by my new name. It was signed by me and two witnesses and that was it. As for passport etc., I keep the original of the deed with my birth certificate so if I need to copy my birth certificate for anything I copy both. I sent copies to all banks and bills etc. It took a total of about three months to stop getting mail in my old name.

Another vote for Flasheart :lol:

I still have my married surname because I can't be @rsed to do anything about it ( and it matches the kids). Will probably change it when the passport is due for renewal. Easier by deed poll though than faffing about with birth, marriage and divorce certificates.

In hindsight, I would never have changed my surname (unless it was to something cool, hmmm, perhaps Bonneville :lol: ) and not just because the marriage didn't work out.