Ride away? tax and MOT question.

Harri

Hi all, if you go and see a used bike or car with a view to buying, and you decide to buy it, is there such a thing as drive or ride away?

Wouldn't you have to pay for it, take all the details, go away and sort out tax and insurance, and then go back to pick it up? Or am I missing something?

With the new tax laws you couldn't ride anything away anyway could you?

Barcud

No, you have to tax it before you can ride it but there is a section on the gov.uk site to buy the tax and a link if you're the new keeper, put the reference number off the V5 in and you're sorted. "I've just bought it, officer" is no longer an excuse. Did that getting the Z this weekend, dealer let us use his computer to go through it and tax it before we left the showroom.

Insurance you can phone them up and sort it out over the phone. Has always been thus :)

I suspect most new keepers will play on the fact that until the old keeper registers the sale, the old keeper's tax will be running, so all the "big brother" style number plate readers will still show the bike as taxed...

Just make sure you have valid MOT and valid insurance in your name...

I suspect most new keepers will play on the fact that until the old keeper registers the sale, the old keeper's tax will be running, so all the "big brother" style number plate readers will still show the bike as taxed...

Just make sure you have valid MOT and valid insurance in your name...

Unless the bike has been for sale for some time and is currently on SORN. and many will be, particularly at this time of year. but even that shouldn't present too much of a problem.. for instance, if I was selling a bike that was on SORN and somebody turned up willing to buy and wanting to ride away immediately.. I would allow them to use my computer to tax it there and then. or.. point them at the local P.O. so they can do it over the counter. To make that happen all they will need is valid insurance - which again can be 'instant'. and an MOT. which.. I would always have anyway.

It becomes a lot more complicated if the bike doesn't have an MOT. that will be the biggest problem for new buyers. But.. I'm sure once this new system has become embedded. sellers will quickly realise that if they want to shift a bike quickly, then a current MOT is pretty much a 'must have'.

actually you don't even need valid insurance to tax it under the new rules....we did the tax first, from the dealers computer....with no insurance, then went outside and rang the insurance company

I didn't know that.. but then, i already had the insurance set up before i collected the bike. I did the quote the day before £42 for the remaining 6 months of my current multi-bike policy. so that just needed to be activated. which i did just before i walked out the door to go and do the swap. I was lucky in that this was done on the 30th - so I could ride it on the old tax disc. but next day I taxed it anyway - it only had a month to go. was forced to go to the post office as the V5 was the old type from 2006 and wouldn't work online.