Week course Vs lessons

Hi

I'm planning how to go about getting my full licence. With work and family commitments I don't think I'll be able to spare a whole week to do a course in that way. The place I'm looking to do my training with also offers individual sessions which would probably suit me better.

But... when I Google training, everywhere is selling week courses and very rarely do they mention individual sessions. Does anyone know the reason for this? Has anyone here done seperate sessions instead of a week course?

Thanks!

Usually because unlike a car where you can get away with a lesson every week or so, on a bike there is so much to take in they havnt got the time to have a refresh every time you get there to get you used to the bike again. Best thing to do is do your theory, then get yourself along for an assessment which is about an hour, and they will reccomend what length course, you may only need the half week course

I did all my training one step at a time. If you can do it then i'd highly recommend doing so.

Done my theory test,

6 months later i did my CBT, ( had other commitments )

4 months after CBT i did mod 1

1 month after mod 1 i did mod 2.

Passed theory test october 12th 2013

Passed mod 2 october 2nd 2014

Of course it can be done in a quarter of the time it took me but i was having fun riding my 125cc for couple of months which helped massively towards me passing first time.

Thanks for your replies. I'm practicing for my theory at the moment and plan to book it soon. The Hazard Perception test is new to me, having learnt to drive about 15 years ago!

I've been riding my 125 to work everyday since March so have about 7-8 months of experience doing that. My main aim is to ditch my L plates, then get a bigger bike as and when I can afford it.

A lot of them sell packages 4,5,6 session DAS courses including tests etc.. depending on experience but that doesn't necessarily mean the sessions have to be on consecutive days. I think they are normally pretty flexible about the dates of the sessions. I'm sure that most will do individual lessons too but the packages could work out cheaper.

As Fulltilt said - give them a call and discuss it

I did it on a 125 a couple of years ago but the owner of the training school would take you out in pairs or solo for a 3 hour lesson.

I booked a 3 hour lesson before my test to help iron out any problems.

They do pay as you go schemes as well as 4 day courses.With mod 1 training at weekends.

Its worth looking round and finding some place with flexible training if you cant commit to a 4 day das.

Thanks for all the replies. So it seems no one is saying that one way is inherently better than the other, which is good. I've already decided to do lessons with the place I did my CBT at, so next step Theory then on with the lessons!

I did mine one lesson at a time on weekends as i couldn't afford to take the time off from a new job. Also like you I rode a 125 for about 6-8 months prior to taking my test. I found this invaluable for building up confidence for me, although once i'd been on bigger bikes, my 125 felt poky and crap!

i don't remember spending too long sorting out my mod1 and mod2 (think it was only a few weeks between the 2) and i was on my way.

Thing is, do what you feel is right for you. If you're not going to get on with blocks of lessons, don't do it that way. My boss got his full license over the course of 3 days.

I did mine one lesson at a time on weekends as i couldn't afford to take the time off from a new job. Also like you I rode a 125 for about 6-8 months prior to taking my test. I found this invaluable for building up confidence for me, although once i'd been on bigger bikes, my 125 felt poky and crap!

Sounds like your situation was similar to mine then! Good to know it worked out for you doing it that way!

My advice is this.

You got two years to do it in after you pass your theory test, but you have to have a valid CBT.

Just break it down to 4 steps.

CBT - done

THEORY - revise the DSA book like hell

MOD1 - book a two hour lesson and get familiar with the big bike round the manouvers you have to complete. If you need more training then no worries. Turn up on the day and RELAX, (easier said than done). And give it a go.

MOD2 - Not sure what to advise here, i was lucky to have a good instructor, who took me out at 8am and rode around the test routes and then done my test at 1pm. Which cost me £230 for the whole day.

One step at a time, no rush, approach each test with confidence as they come.

As they say in Welsh,

Pob Lwc (good luck)

Did my practice on one weekend. 6 hours saturday and sunday on the bike. Then took my test following tuesday and did 2 hours before and passed first time 2 minors.

What ever works for you though might need longer =)

Hi Glorian. Thanks for that! It does make me wonder how my experience to date will help out. Seems a lot of people to a week course from scratch. I don't know if having ridden for the best part of a year will help me a lot or if I'll have to try and unlearn all the bad habits I might have got into! Ha!