non starter?

Harri

Hi all, if a bike was laid up for a few months, that had been a runner before then, and struggled to start with the original battery, would you suspect the battery?

If not the battery, what would be the next thing to look at bearing in mind it was running fine before being laid up?

thanks.

The list of usual suspects would be:

1) Battery. They do die quickly.

2) Fuel in the carbs. Old fuel dries out and leaves a gummy varnish on the inside of the carbs that stops them working.

Hi guys, this post relates to a bike that was for sale. I fancy the bike but as a relative novice I don't want to take on a bike that becomes a big fix job! I'm told the bike was okay a few months back but trying to start it now isn't happening because of a flat battery. The battery has been charged, the bike turns but it sounds as if the battery fails to keep the turnover going. I could hire a van, take it away, buy a battery, and the bike still won't start! Then clean the carb's and still a problem!

Is it a case of taking a gamble or not?

cheers.

I'd say it's a gamble. Do you know the seller? Could you take it back (definitely) if you can't get it going?

If they're saying it's the battery, but it's been charged and it still won't run then I'd be raising eyebrows. Could be anything...or it could still be the battery which might have been flat for so long now that it won't hold a charge.

If you do buy it, get a new battery in there, and chuck some Redex through a couple of tank fulls of petrol to clear the carbs. Not as thorough as stripping the carbs, but a hell of a lot easier. After a couple of months being stood it's unlikely to have gummed much up anyway.

Unless they can show you it running, I'd steer well clear. I'd be suspicious about the length of time it's apparently not been used if they are saying a few months and in that short time it wont start.

Hi all and thanks. I guess if I knew the problem was 'definitely' this or that, then I could consider the options. But as the problem 'might be' this or that, then you're right, best leave alone.

cheers