Travelling to Finland

Glorian

Evening,

Has anyone on here travelled from the UK (south) to Finland? Ideally Jyväskylä but helsinki will do to.

Looking at flying but it's quite expensive on average £200-£300. Was tempted to train/ferry but its almost 4 times as long and much more confusing so i'll probably end up lost!!

Any tips?

In my experience (let me know if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!) the best prices for plane tickets to Helsinki (and many other places besides) are normally around a month before you want to fly, sky scanner is the website I use to compare.

My claims are purely based on visiting my girlfriend there, so as a disclaimer I'm not a travel guru or employee of skyscanner :D

Many years ago I flew to Helsinki on business. I was young/stupid and didn't realise how cold it gets there. I remember freezing my arse off at the airport waiting for a cab as I was only wearing my business suit and the temperature was below zero lol.

Lesson learnt. Always check the weather for your destination before leaving the uk!

Okey dokes. From my Finnish buddy…

He flies from Gatwick to Helsinki then either catches an internal flight to Jyvaskyla (where his family lives) or more often gets the train from Helsinki which is about 3 ½ hours. He reckons the train is cheaper at a little over half the price of the plane and more convenient as it stops more often. :-) Apparently it’s a doddle as there’s a bus that goes from the airport to the railway station.

He recommends using Skyscanner to book up with Norwegian.com as they’re good and cheap.

He recommends using Skyscanner to book up with Norwegian.com as they’re good and cheap.

they have free wifi on board too, so you can browse the forum whilst in the air!

Ive flow with them a few times :)

I had a girlfriend from Finland and traveled there with her a few times.

Get yourself on to ryanair and get a flight to TAMPERE. This is an airport fairly close to Helsinki. From here you can get bus services to where you need to get to. It would be very cheap :)

If you're like me and enjoy your ice skating then you'll love it there - this time of the year they freeze over the football pitches to make a big outdoor ice rink!

Their word for thank you is Kiitos and they say this for everything ;) (pronounced "key-toss"). Hi is "Moi".

Expect daylight from around 9am - 3pm. Very weird when it starts to get dark in the afternoon!

Cheers for the tips guys =D

Think i'll go from gatwick to helsinki. Then get on train up north. Prefer train to flying!!

How much you reckon it would cost overall for that? getting quotes of £200-£300 for flights.

Think i'll go from gatwick to helsinki. Then get on train up north. Prefer train to flying!!

How much you reckon it would cost overall for that? getting quotes of £200-£300 for flights.

Did you not see my post?

£20 for ryanair to Tampere!

Did you not see my post?

£20 for ryanair to Tampere!

That's pretty impressive.. =D Does that include a seat haha!

Seriosuly though that is a cheap price. looked for direct flight to Jyvaskyla it's £200 and that stops helsinki.

Closer to time will ryan air and get a bus or connecting flight from tampere

Finland, Finland, Finland

The country where I want to be

Pony trekking or camping

Or just watching TV

It's the country for me

You're so near to Russia

So far from Japan

Quite a long way from Cairo

Lots of miles from Vietnam

The country where I want to be

Eating breakfast or dinner

Or snack lunch in the hall

Finland has it all

You're so sadly neglected

And often ignored

A poor second to Belgium

When going abroad

The country where I quite want to be

Your mountains so lofty

Your treetops so tall

Finland has it all

Oh focus on Finland friends

The country where I quite want to be

Your mountains so lofty

Your treetops so tall

Finland has it all, Finland has it all

• 2 weeks later...

Norwegian.com but book as far in advice as you can for cheapest prices.

Flown with them to Iceland, Helskini onto Ivalo and will be flying to Norway in Feb 2015 :)

Never found cheaper :)