Job change due to motorbike etc, and a Croydon Classic...

BikerMooFromMars

I've been working for the Old Man and Stepmum's business as an inventory clerk with the view to becoming a franchisee at some point over the past few months. I had what seemed like an immense job on the outset briefly at a private orthodontic practice when I mooved this way where I saw patients alone for 3d scans, xrays, etc, but it wasn't what it promised to be and they seemed to want blood for the higher wage I rightfully went for (as advertised!). The clerking has been an alright job mostly - you go to properties, dictate the condition to the smallest detail on a dictophone, take loads of photos, then send the recording to our typist in New Zealand who types it up overnight and sends it back to us, then we amend the report if needed, add photos, meter readings etc and send back to the office to be checked and turned into a pdf, then send to the landlord and tenants to sign online.This protects the landlord's property and the deposit if the property is damaged/dirty/trashed, and protects the tenants too - if the property was damaged/unclean when they moved in, they can't get charged for things that were already wrong when they moo-ve out. Got to see a lot of interesting places and parts of London and Surrey I'd not normally have seen.

It has been fun at times and a learning experience and I've certainly racked up the miles on Ermintrude, and appreciate the flat I share with Fozzles more than ever :mrgreen: . However, I've decided to leave for several reasons - the pay isn't amazing if not doing lots of jobs in a day, when there is a lot of work on it's non-stop and takes up what should be chilling time at home doing lots of reports and dealing with any issues and enquiries etc (which is all unpaid time) - I had one landlady send me 15 texts and 4 phone calls recently for one job! And last-minute cancellations mean you lose out on money too, been messed around a few times. I've not had much local work, a lot being in central London or out in the sticks, I've racked up 2.5 thousand miles in just a few months and the bike is losing value because of it, I need all new gear - just the hardcore winter gloves and waterproof boots will be over £200 - my boots stayed wet for 3 days after a recent downpur and still stink!, there's no annual leave so the almost 3 week holiday last month properly wiped me out (now grateful for the insurance payout cos of that guy knocking Erminturde over when parked!), and the backache I've been getting the past few weeks has been god awful. Also, being on the bike for at least 3 hours a day isn't particularly safe in London - on Thursday I was almost wiped out by a last-minute lanechanger on the A3 (got an apologetic hand up when I sounded the horn at least I suppose), and the amount of bloody idiotic drivers out there is pretty shocking (not saying I'm perfect but I take lots of care and always pay attention, which is more than can be said for many, esp in rush hour). Thanks to everyone on the advice on the backache issue btw :thumb: .

I've learnt a lot, this is another career to fall back on, and I can take it with me anywhere - I am now ready to be a franchisee if I want to. But seeing how burnt-out my dad and stepmum are, it isn't that appealing...we'll see. For now I have found another dental nursing job - though this time in general dentistry rather than orthodontics, which I haven't done for a good couple of years now - back to checkups, fillings, extractions, crowns, dentures, bridges and such. But looking forward to having a normal work schedule again, earning a guaranteed wage, and I'll be earning more than I have done as an inventory clerk every month so far despite only working Monday to Thursday (yay for long weekends)! Though the Old Man thinks I won't enjoy being 'an ant' again (working for someone else)! Time will tell...

Anyway, for a few chuckles, enjoy my last inventory I carried out yesterday - was by far the worst so far - a Croydon classic :lol: . Bear in mind the property is meant to look nice, most landlords ensure the property is professionally cleaned throughout before calling us in and have a bottle of wine or a nice card for the tenants etc...;

Best quotes from the landlady include

"When you're doing your report, just imagine there is nothing in the house" and

"I want lots of pictures - lots and lots of pictures"

also when leaving, turns and says to the Polish tenants (one of which arrived in clothes but spent the last hour of me being there in dirty knickers and a vest top)

"Congratulations - this is your new home now!"

So this is half of the front page of the inventory (it's meant to be a view of the front of the property);

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/ScreenShot2014-10-21at133419_zps2e1ebdeb.png

Bearing in mind they usually look like this;

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/ScreenShot2014-10-21at133502_zps350fd886.png

My nose and throat were actually burning from the paint fumes - I've never seen a place that has been painted over so many times. The tenants had already been living there for a few days too. Also burnt my hand on a radiator when putting my helmet down, and tripped on loose carpet on the staircase...anyway...

This spacious, luxurious old-defects-overpainted property cannot be fully described in simply a photographic nature, so we had an inventory clerk come in to detail its one-of-a-kind features, such as yellowing and burn stains throughout the bath, brown stained and burnt carpets you wouldn't let your dog walk on and broken skirting boards you can see the foundations of the property through.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/PA200158_zps4dca6ac6.jpg

Also boasts a walk-in wardrobe with dated damp wallpaper, crosshead screws protruding at the base, loose bits of carpet cut-offs and part- rotten, fallen-off skirting boards inside (to the left of the photo unfortunately);

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/PA200163_zps1e8f2928.jpg

Yes, those are words scratched into the walls, and then overpainted...arty!!!;

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/PA200181_zps40da00e7.jpg

Filler material can be used *everywhere*. Also, this is the only light in the whole bathroom - it's an edgy Croydon thing;

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/PA200129_zps92cfaa92.jpg

Excellent storage facilities;

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/PA200156_zpsf0acfb7e.jpg

We want our tenants and their visitors to get an intimate feel of the property, so we included a step for the clerk to fall on to really get a feel for the place;

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/PA200150_zpsc65383ba.jpg

Includes stylish MDF board painted magnolia room division...suitable paticularly for people who enjoy listening to housemates snoring, having 'intimate relations', listening to music or just generally breathing;

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/PA200147_zps52764e55.jpg

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/PA200120_zpsdd1a72f3.jpg

It's amazing what landlords can get away with - I bet they were charging a fair amount too! Luckily most of my jobs aren't like this, though seen a good few trashed places after tenants have left.

Anyway - here's to the future - whatever happens! :mrgreen:

Blimey that's a big post!!

Congrats on the new job - hope it works out well and allows you to finance your test and new bike!!

:cheers:

I'll forward these pics to my tenants and let them see what a great landlord I am!! Haha

Blimey that's a big post!!

Congrats on the new job - hope it works out well and allows you to finance your test and new bike!!

I'll forward these pics to my tenants and let them see what a great landlord I am!! Haha

Hahaha, feel free - though the photos REALLY don't do it justice, seriously. All the walls had holes and cracks and filler and layers upon layers of cracking, peeling paint, wallpaper lifting and peeling, and was just grim through and through. Took "We'll just paint over the problems" to a whole new level!

Thanks - won't officially be a congrats until the end of my shift at 7pm tomorrow...it's a trial day, they will tell me whether I have the job or not then. But the manager says she doesn't see why not. I hate not knowing for sure though! Fingers crossed!

Was quite the wall of text, I had fun writing it haha! :lol: I'm impressed you stuck it out tbh!!

Adding an excerpt of the Schedule Of Condition - which is the cleanliness report. Notmally they don't have more than a sentence in them...

EDIT: Also, if you ever need an inventory, mid-term inspection or checkout report, my dad's business is in Bromley and he has clerks in Catford, Dulwich and all round London and 5* rating on Feefo, and very detailed reports with photographs :wink: :mrgreen: OMG I could even do it hahaha!

1090215771_ScreenShot2014-10-21at19_37_44.png.af1f34143471c965b667e98e7704b4a8.png

Good luck Moo!! I haven't read all of your post but have surmised from the photos you are trying to sell your current home. perhaps you should move this to the for sale section (and no offence intended but it could do with a bit of a clean before any prospective buyers come round!)

once again good luck for the future :lol:

I GOT THE FREAKING JOB!

Lovely practice, working for such a nice female dentist and the staff are a laugh and seem like genuinely nice people - and they stick around for lunch for a chat and a giggle which makes me so happy! The last job was the opposite and worked by myself most of the day and felt lonely! It's pretty laid back and not massively challenging which is actually nice for a change. I don't plan on being there that long, depends on when Fozzles and I moo-ve, but it'll do nicely for a while and wage is great 8-) guess I'll have no excuse but to do my full license next year :lol: . Planning on riding throughout the winter, now that I have a local job again - woop!

Thanks for all the good lucks! :cheers:

Congratulations - careful writing stuff like that on the web, if the new employer reads it, you might be in trouble ;)

Thanks...I was gonna write something contraversial about the beware of what you write on the web comment, then decided against it :mrgreen: ! I was gonna comment on something someone else I know posted on here and got away with...but I'll leave it :lol: ! (and no it's nothing recent at all, an older post now). I will silently chuckle to myself though... :mrgreen:

Also, I will find ways to make it challenging - I always do :thumb:

The other nurse made me nervous in the morning saying the dentist is really fast, good luck keeping up with her - but I breezed through despite not having done this type of dentistry in years, so that was a good feeling.

I heart teef. Today did at least a thousand checkups :lol: , one second stage root canal, an extraction, two denture fits, a crown fit and three emergency fillings!

Thanks too Tango :thumb:

Right, off to bed now, another 11 hour day tomoz then a looong weekend...

Ah, it is lovely! Busy constantly, but the long days just disappear. Back to crowns and dentures and decay and root canals and scale-and-polishes and analogue xrays and fissure sealants and extractions and amalgam, composite and glass ionomer fillings. WOOOOOOO! :mrgreen:

Ah, it is lovely! Busy constantly, but the long days just disappear. Back to crowns and dentures and decay and root canals and scale-and-polishes and analogue xrays and fissure sealants and extractions and amalgam, composite and glass ionomer fillings. WOOOOOOO! :mrgreen:

Can you get me a cheap 'water floss' gizmo?

Or, is this thingymejig pretty useless?

Is there life on Pluto (the Planet not the dog!0

You do not have to be mad to work here - But it certainly helps!

Think I'll get a Nitro kit for the Bandit.

May I be the first to wish you a 'Merry Christmas'.

Can you get me a cheap 'water floss' gizmo?

Or, is this thingymejig pretty useless?

Is there life on Pluto (the Planet not the dog!0

You do not have to be mad to work here - But it certainly helps!

Think I'll get a Nitro kit for the Bandit.

May I be the first to wish you a 'Merry Christmas'.

Ok, after the first two sentences I completely lost you :shock: !

Only just started working there so not asked about discounted goods yet and won't for a little while. I'd recommend going on Amazon and getting the one with the best reviews http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=water+floss. My mum and stepdad love their water floss, they're meant to be really good and dentists recommend them - I'm happy enough using my rubber interdental brushes and floss though.