helmets

Guest dudeabides

need a helmet.its a minefield.you can not put a price on safety.what is confusing is how can a helmet be made and sold for 50quid and be safe when you can pay 600quid for the same thing (a helmet)and still be safe?.i don't know what is good or bad.so i will get the one that i think is cool.problem is nobody else will think that it is.just what a ….. he should have got a …..ime of to bed.dudeabides.

Well, here are the main arguments I tend to hear:

The £600 helmet will last a lot longer, parts on the £60 helmet will simply wear out in a fairly short span of time.

The £60 helmet will weigh a lot more (cheaper materials)

The £60 helmet will be a lot bulkier (something about having one shell size that gets used for a wide range of sizes and just varying the thickness of the internals)

And also less effort or r&d may have gone into the £60 helmet, so things like the ventilation may be a bit cack handed

If you look at something like this http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ you can see that there isn't always a direct correlation between price and safety; for example Spada helmets (my brand of choice, cos I'm cheap :lol:) do really well, whereas the rather expensive Harley Davidson helmets might actually make you less safe than wearing no helmet at all!

As far as the arguments against cheaper (but highly rated) helmets go, let me summarise my experiences of my old Spada RP700 lid:

Longevity:

Yes, it did start to fall apart. 6 months in the little rubber seal along the bottom of the visor had peeled off, letting in a fair bit of wind noise. At 12 months the top one went, making the problem worse and also letting in the very occasional bit of rain. The vent in the chin broke at about 16 months, and would no longer stay shut without the support of a bit of tape. And the lining on the right side of my chin split at around 10 months, so I had to stitch that back together before it got too bad.

Weight:

Noticeable, but you get used to it and it isn't really that terrible. Strong necks run in my family, though - so compare a few for yourself :P

Size:

VERY noticeable, but again I can't comment completely fairly because I'm not a small man and I certainly don't have a small head even before you stick a helmet on it! Does seem larger than the average lid though.

Were the compromises apparent? Yes.

Would I buy Spada again? Yes, that's who made my new lid :lol:

At the end of the day, for me it comes down to this - as long as they both do really well in crash tests, it doesn't matter if I buy a lid that costs a few hours wages or half as much as my bike, one good smack later and both have to go in the bin. Got a year and a half out of my RP700, so as long as I have at least one decent thump to the head in the next 13.5 years then I've saved myself a few quid - and I'm sure it's going to happen sooner or later :lol:

Plus it's a lot cheaper to have different helmets for different occasions when they're under the hundred pound mark. :wink:

There is no evidence that a 50 quid helmet is any less safe than a 1k lid.

You pay for design and matirials used ect.

What you will find is the fit and like what rant says the finish quality.

For example I have a 45 quid ls2 helmet for work (mechanic so it gets very dirty from my head) it's great design feel weight ect, but the fit is slightly off, wind noise is unbareable on longer rides and vent is next to useless but it has pinlock. Then my other helmet is agv cost 120 quid, don't believe it's any safer but it's a better fit, vents are good quality feel and work, visor moves easier and less wind noise. As long as you purchace from a reputable trader you should be ok with an origional. I would reccomend a known brand and with that you will be fine.

Basically what Rant machine said.

I have bought 2 lids so far. I bought a £25 a few years ago just to use on the back of my mates bike, fairly naff tbh cold, let air in everywhere, felt a little flimsy. I bought a caberg V2RR when i started riding for £130 it's lovely, Warm, Great safety rating, Looks awesome. It's quite big but at the end of the day i dont mind if it will save me =D

Go try some on and be prepared to spend a little bit of money. Go to a shop KNOWING what you want and how much you want to spend and if you don't find it move on. Also don't buy online. Or second hand.

As above.

There are people that claim that the more expensive helmets are actually worse safety wise. They claim that the different materials used for the shell (carbon fiber etc) are used to reduce weight, however, because they are harder materials, they don't flex under impact, therefor have less of a cushioning effect.

As far as I'm aware, there is not enough research to prove, nor disprove this though.

The more expensive helmets are generally lighter, things like the vents will be less flimsy and are more likely to stay closed at speed, visors are more likely to be waterproof, may have scratch resistant coatings, less wind noise etc etc etc.

If its sold in britain, it should be safe, just don't go for used helmets

All helmets sold in the UK will meet a minimum safety requirement. Some will go above and beyond that requirement, some will just about meet it.

Don't assume that all expensive ones are 'more safe' though. You might just be spending the extra money on graphics / plusher lining / better noise levels.

Best way to find out how 'safe' a helmet is, is to check the Sharp rating http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/news/publica ... et-ratings

For example, my Nolan N103 helmet is nowhere near as expensive as a Schuberth C3 but actually comes out with a better rating. Having tried them both on though the Schuberth (to my head shape) feels nicer (not that the Nolan is a shabby helmet by any means). If you click through to the helmet you can see on the diagram that the Schuberth actually isn't a great helmet at all in a collision, particularly for side impacts http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/schuberth-c3

Find one you like, see what the Sharp rating is and if you're satisfied with it go and find one to try on. Wear it around the shop for 5 to 10 minutes (your head will warm up and expand a bit so you can check the fitment better). Don't order it online before trying it on!

Just go find one you like that fits properly, I've never personally used the sharp rating but I don't suppose it hurts but it was deemed a floored test in the beginning, my current helmet is my most expensive at £140 and I'd have another tomorrow.

My only stipulation is its full face.

As above I always thought the Sharp rating was a bit suspect because of the way they tested it. My lid is a Shoei and was quite expensive but It was the only helmet that seemed to fit my weird shaped head :-( I would of preferred a £120 Hjc jobby just didn't fit.

Internal sun visors are nice to have, good for sunny summer days as well as winter days when the sun is low in the sky.

Pay a bit extra for an internal visor though.

Specifically went out to find one for myself. It's been very helpful. saves wearing sunglasses or a permanent tinted visor.

Internal sun visors are nice to have, good for sunny summer days as well as winter days when the sun is low in the sky.

Pay a bit extra for an internal visor though.

Specifically went out to find one for myself. It's been very helpful. saves wearing sunglasses or a permanent tinted visor.

Yep, they're great. I ride most of the time with the internal visor down and the main visor open. Allows plenty of airflow but still protects against bug impacts.

I can one up that, this summer I had to go to hospital to have part of a fly removed from my eye using a needle and a microscope :shock:

Got embedded on the inside of my upper eyelid and was scratching my eye every time I blinked. Great fun!

I can one up that, this summer I had to go to hospital to have part of a fly removed from my eye using a needle and a microscope :shock:

Got embedded on the inside of my upper eyelid and was scratching my eye every time I blinked. Great fun!

Visor is staying down all the time now. :D

man years ago, a few days after Christmas, i had a sore eye... i was rubbing it loads and it was just not getting better.

Eventually i decided to look in the mirror an pull my lower eyelid down. What i found was a pine needle from the Christmas tree under my lower eye lid. Turns out the getting drunk and sleeping under the tree is not good for the eyes!!

man years ago, a few days after Christmas, i had a sore eye... i was rubbing it loads and it was just not getting better.

Eventually i decided to look in the mirror an pull my lower eyelid down. What i found was a pine needle from the Christmas tree under my lower eye lid. Turns out the getting drunk and sleeping under the tree is not good for the eyes!!

Should've worn your helmet!