Torque wrench not clicking!

XmisterIS

I have two torque wrenches, a small one for 10Nm up, and a big one for 28Nm up.

Now here's the amusing thing:

The big one is cheap as chips and works like a good'un every time.

The small one is a Drapper (decent quality, expensive) - and the f**king thing has stopped clicking.

I just set the Drapper to 23Nm for the front axle clamp bolt, started tightening the bolt ... and tightening the bolt ... and tightening the bolt ... and ... hang on, this feels like waaaay more than 23Nm!

Tested it with the big one, and it is definitely way more than 23Nm.

f**king torque wrench, it's not that old either. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone use an electronic torque gauge? That seems like a better option to me - easier to see if it is knackered.

Yes and they are great :-D

Which one do you have? I just looked on Amazon and the only one they list is for £147 and it is a Drapper! (Given my recent experience with Drapper, they can stick their digital torque wrench up their arse, especially at that price!)

Don't use the electric ones as they arnt as foolproof as some may think. Even the snap on reps one was out by 15nm yet my Sealy one only by 2nm. Your best off with a manual one imo unless you use it on a very regular basis as there is nothing more frustrating than going to use it after a few months and the battery is dead. Also do you wind off your torque wrench after every use? As not winding off will nakker one up in no time

Don't use the electric ones as they arnt as foolproof as some may think. Even the snap on reps one was out by 15nm yet my Sealy one only by 2nm.

how were you comparing them??

:popcorn:

The rep had a bench mounted calibration device in his van and after we chuckle at his fancy 300 quid one failing miserably I tried mine in it

LOL, i bet that made him happy!!

:lol: :lol:

Also do you wind off your torque wrench after every use?

Yes, always.

Draper..... unless it is Drapper which means it's chinese copy crap

Yes, it's a "Draper".

Machinemart have a few options for digital wrenches.

I'll check out machine mart, thanks!

I have something like this

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... adaptor-12

not the actual one though!

mine has a lifetime warranty and I get my brother to check it at work every year

its always within tolerance and the batteries have lasted over 4 years up to now

its a really good bit of kit to be honest

once set it reads the torque and has a series of bleeps when it gets close and it holds the torque you have reached on the display too

only problem is it only goes down to 30nm!!

it reads in all figures too IE nm/lbft etc etc

Some of the fixing bolts on the SV go down to 23Nm, but I would be happy to tighten them to 30Nm - they won't shear for the want of 7Nm!

thats 30% too tight... might as well not use a torque wrench and just do it by hand :lol:

Ive got a digital torque wrench never had a problem with it, its passed every calibration for over 5 years and its calibrated every 3 months. It also does degrees.

Also work with a lad who has a halfords torque wrench and he has never wound it back after use :bang: . Think the only time it gets wound back is after its been calibrated which is also every 3 months and its never failed yet.