Mod 1 on tues

Well, Thursday just gone had 2 and a half hours on a 600cc. Lots of time on the roads round Newcastle (under Lyme) which was absolutely fine, then back on the training ground for some slow control. Dropped the bike twice, once when parking up and then slowed down too much on a figure of eight. . 3 more hours practice tomorrow. Trying not to get wound up, don't expect to pass and that's not me being negative just realistic, I think my nerves will get the better of me, but I will go to it and do what I can do. If I fail I fail, I'll just keep trying till I pass and I suppose it will be good practice. Sucked a lot of Rescue Remedy pastilles then read that excessive consumption could have a laxative effect.... :?

Cheers guys. Just gone out on my 125 and did lots of cornering round my estate and sort of restored my belief. However, I think I might be a bit fazed by the whole 600cc thing and might just go for the 500cc. Psychologically, I think I'll have more confidence. I m not a speed merchant, but would like to get a more powerful bike at some stage just to have a bit more grunt when I need it. And then, if I do feel ready for a 600cc, I can just do the tests again. Not the cheapest or most direct route but perhaps right for ME. I'm waffling. I'll shut up! Typing out loud lol.

Wouldn't be much difference between the 500cc and 600cc....take the 600cc and get your full A licence. I found the 600cc easier to ride (especially in the slow manoeuvres) than the 125cc. Sounds like its just confidence you are lacking. Those 3 hours tomorrow should help no end and then a couple of hours before your test.

I dropped the bike on my last session before the module 1 test and crossed the line on my first five or so attempts at the turn in the road. I too went along to the test believing that I would fail but things worked out just fine! Don't overthink what you're doing and try to relax (and enjoy) the 10-15 minute test.

Slow control is hard! Much harder than normal riding. You probably know this but dropping bikes when doing things like figure of 8s is usually down to not enough revs. As long as your clutch control is good, don't worry about revving more than you think you need.

I hadn't dropped a bike for 4 years and dropped my pride and joy recently, totally stupid thing to do - it happens! None of us can argue with gravity unfortunately.

You do need to be in the right mind set though, you have to think you can smash it! I'm terrible for thinking "I can't" and I know it holds me back as I'm already telling myself that it's not going to happen, so you make it not happen...self-fulfilling prophecy :wink:

I saw this the other day and thought it was quite clever!

motivational_quote_chances_of_success.jpg

Also, I agree with everyone else, go for the 600...there won't be much in it weight wise with the 500 and 600 but there'll be a world of difference with what bikes you can buy when you pass your test, which you will!

Good luck :thumb:

hope it all goes well.

don't forget that the figure 8 you can go nice and wide so don't make those turns too steep.

I shall step away from commenting on slow riding, it's the only point i picked up a point on my mod 1 for going too slow of all things to the point i was a little wobbly. I wish they still walked in front of you so you had some idea of what is an acceptable slow speed.

Have some tips! Have at ye!

Easy way for your figure of eight is keep revs fairly high. and toggle the clutch if you're going to fast gently rear brake but lock your right hand in place so you're not jumping all over.

Make sure you're looking where you want to go. Once you get the the middle point of the -->"8" turn your head the complete other way and the bike will naturally turn that way.

I practice for 10 minutes straight at one point i was fine.

Also the slalom part just before. don't look at the cone you're passing. looking at the next one if you look at the ground you're gonna hit the ground.

Keep the bike in second never bother with third. Second allows you better power without the wild side of first gear which can be jumpy (Use this on the speed test and emergency stop etc). on the really slow manouvers use first (IE U-turn, slalom, figure of eight)

Most important, Be calm. If you're not sure what the instructor means ask him they're happy to clarify things, Also have a little chat with them before hand They're usually bikers like you and me making them think you're a decent chap by having a proper conversation. not some oik about to go ragging it everywhere at 100mph. I saw some right idiots at my test center dressing in their jeans and hoody with a just about held together leather jacket.. Going onto another point wear decent looking gear that is protective. If you turn up looking scruffy they may refuse to take you out.

GOOD LUCK!! =)

be a gentleman. I held the doors open for the examiner. He got the impression at that point that i wasn't a massive twat! (he was wrong).

as already said, keep the head up, look past where you want to be going. keep the revs up and feather the clutch. I repeated things back to the examiner, and made sure that everything I did was what the examiner asked.

mod 1 is really not that difficult. you get a bit of fun time on a large completely smooth piece of the best super sticky tarmac you will ever have the pleasure of riding on!

the next 3 hours will fly past and you'll be doing the manoeuvres no troubles.

be a gentleman. I held the doors open for the examiner. He got the impression at that point that i wasn't a massive twat! (he was wrong).

as already said, keep the head up, look past where you want to be going. keep the revs up and feather the clutch. I repeated things back to the examiner, and made sure that everything I did was what the examiner asked.

mod 1 is really not that difficult. you get a bit of fun time on a large completely smooth piece of the best super sticky tarmac you will ever have the pleasure of riding on!

the next 3 hours will fly past and you'll be doing the manoeuvres no troubles.

:twisted: :twisted:

Well guys, I failed.

However, it has to be said, I'm rather pleased with my fail because it wasn't on what i thought it would be:-). It was going absolutely fine till the swerve test, the last thing. Didn't hit the speed first time, hit the speed second time but knocked the cone. Arghhhhhhhh! Took my eye off the ball. What part of look at the outside cone didn't I understand???

Still I was dreading the slalom and the fig of eight, and the u turn and they went fine.

It's all good practice and to boot, I have had a fab ride over to Shrewsbury from Crewe, and then back to Newcastle under Lyme, and then a fab pillion ride back to Crewe. Sorta reminded me why I am doing this to myself!!!

My instructor thinks I'm mad, his happiest failer yet......

Well done!

Advice for swerve test:

if you don't already know it, learn about counter steering. you can have positive input on the steering of the bike which makes the swerve test so much easier. also - roll on, but don't roll off. that will ensure you keep your speed up.

The slalom and fig 8 are pretty easy when doing it in the large test carpark place.

Well done you though for getting all the bits right! Just don't come unstuck on the swerve next time!

Well guys, I failed.

However, it has to be said, I'm rather pleased with my fail because it wasn't on what i thought it would be:-). It was going absolutely fine till the swerve test, the last thing. Didn't hit the speed first time, hit the speed second time but knocked the cone. Arghhhhhhhh! Took my eye off the ball. What part of look at the outside cone didn't I understand???

Still I was dreading the slalom and the fig of eight, and the u turn and they went fine.

It's all good practice and to boot, I have had a fab ride over to Shrewsbury from Crewe, and then back to Newcastle under Lyme, and then a fab pillion ride back to Crewe. Sorta reminded me why I am doing this to myself!!!

My instructor thinks I'm mad, his happiest failer yet......

Oh no, sorry to hear that! But your attitude sounds amazing and I'm glad you're feeling positive :) You'll probably be a lot less stressed next time now you know you nailed the rest of it!

Sorry to hear :( At least it's the cheaper portion of the tests? =D As said above learn about counter steering. My instructor told me to get to speed then push hard on the bars to tilt the bike and move it around then hard tilt back and i never hit that cone. Ask the instructor. Make sure you also practice the other parts don't get over confident because you've passed them once and end up passing teh swerve test and failing a different part!!