Calling Tango come in Tango! (And any other guitarists)

stumblebum

I need a little help deciding something! I am now in the position where I have a little spare money and don't know wether I can justify buying a third bike or wether I should invest the money in my dream guitar, a Gibson Les Paul (That would only appreciate in value)What would you do? Both Guitars and bikes are a big part of my life and I'm having trouble deciding which way to go, please help!

Many thanks

Stumblebum

I've taken a slightly different approach: I'm downsizing my bass collection to free up a bit of cash for my new hobby!

First up, a fretless 6-string Warwick Corvette and a 5-string Clover Avenger. That ought to generate a couple of grand :-)

Hmmmmm.......tough call.......but, if you've got bikes that do what you want, ie. there's not a bike that you "must" have, then, yeah, I'd go for the Les Paul...... 8-) 8-) The bike of your dreams - £20K.....the guitar of your dreams - £2K...... :wink: Although, if it were me, I'd be looking at an SG or a 175....... :wink: :lol: :lol:

What would your third bike be and what for? What would it offer you that your current don't?

And it would cost more than just the purchase price: insurance, tax etc.

But don't do either purely for the investment. Which would you use more? Which would you get more enjoyment out of? Or which would you get more enjoyment per pound out of?

And why the hell wouldn't you want a Parker Nitefly? :twisted: (my dream guitar)

The only thing my bikes won't give me is long distance comfort, for that reason I'd like either a zzr1100/1200 or an fj1200 for touring. I've had an early zzr1100 and it was great for shooting down to Devon/Cornwall to see friends. The more I think about it I'd be better off selling the Falco and using the money from that to buy a zzr/fj it's just hard to part with as it's such good fun! I think I'm going to leave it to chance, which ever decent bike/guitar turns up first I'll go for it.....possibly, maybe :lol:

As a guitar and bike man myself, I can see the problem :)

What other guitars have you got? Kind of depends on how big the step up would be. But yeah, a proper les paul would be hard for me to turn down over a 3rd bike. If it was over the second bike it would be more tricky, if it was over any bike at all then a simple decision. Personally, in your situation, I would go for the les paul.

I have played guitar, bass and drums for years. Years ago when I was young it was all about having loads of guitars, I had them lined up in my bedroom but over the years I have changed and now it just comes down to whether they do the job or not, so I have a nice handmade acoustic, a custom electric I made from a joe satch neck and a washburn body and several bass's because I am playing in church currently and they are getting used. I have friends that ask me about what the latest amps are like and what effects modelling to use and I have no idea, I don't follow new releases, I just go hunting when I need something new.

Probably not helpful to you, but if I was you I was just ask do the guitars I have do what I need them to do, and if they do I would buy a bike,

Soo lucky...

I have wanted to learn to play the guitar for years..

Just havent had the patience, nor anyone to start off teaching me the basics...

I tend to learn better, if someone guides me at the beginning, rather than 'googling' everything..

To me, Learning to play the guitar, is a "do before i die" thing..

such beautiful instruments, that can be played with such variation.. love them

As a guitar and bike man myself, I can see the problem :)

What other guitars have you got? Kind of depends on how big the step up would be. But yeah, a proper les paul would be hard for me to turn down over a 3rd bike. If it was over the second bike it would be more tricky, if it was over any bike at all then a simple decision. Personally, in your situation, I would go for the les paul.

I have a Vintage v100 icon (Peter Green tribute) and a Fender Stratocaster which I just can't get on with so will be sold shortly. After trying a Les Paul in the shop I just knew it would be the right guitar for me, but after having a zzr1100 I know it's the right bike for me! As stated before I think I'll just wait and see what turns up first but it will have to be a mint bike to win over the beauty of a Les Paul!

annoys me. top of the line guitar 2k. top of the line banjo 5k and up... Curses for playing a niche instrument...

Kudos to you for playing the Banjo, it's a great skill all that finger picking!

Probably not helpful to you, but if I was you I was just ask do the guitars I have do what I need them to do, and if they do I would buy a bike,

I can't get on with the Strat that I have, it just doesn't feel right when playing it. The Gibson on the other hand was a joy to play and being a big bloke I loved the weight of it, it just felt "right".

I love a Gibson, I love the shorter neck, everything feels easier! What I really want is a les paul with a floyd rose on it. Someone somewhere did one but I can't remember who. It wasn't Gibson I know that but it was Les Paul shape.

One thing I will say is the name doesn't make a good guitar, plenty of 2k guitars I have played have been horrendously made. I think the worst was in the 90s a clapton signature strat that cost a grand and was the worst lump of wood to ever grace a stage. On the other hand some of the far eastern copies are extremely well made and leave the factory well set up. All you have to do is change the $2 microphonic pickups for something decent.

Basically my no1 rule is never EVER buy a guitar without playing it myself, and never trust that because something is expensive it will play well. Why not chop the strat in for a mid range Les Paul copy made by a decent company and buy a bike as well?

What I really want is a les paul with a floyd rose on it. Someone somewhere did one but I can't remember who. It wasn't Gibson I know that but it was Les Paul shape.

ESP do a decent one like that I believe. Also silly money but they do damn good stuff

Soo lucky...

I tend to learn better, if someone guides me at the beginning, rather than 'googling' everything..

My thoughts exactly.

Why not chop the strat in for a mid range Les Paul copy made by a decent company and buy a bike as well?

I'll chop the Strat in or sell it privately but it will be for a Gibson, I've had copies and none have come close to the real thing, especially the early year 2000 non chambered versions. Having the bike as well would be nice but it would be a bit greedy treating myself to both! .....Or would it? :scratch: I'd have to sell the Falco to buy both, I could just about justify that.

Soo lucky...

It's never too late to learn! There are dvd's from a company called lick library that are great at teaching you guitar, they cover all sorts of bands/guitarists so you can learn your favourite songs.

It's never too late to learn! There are dvd's from a company called lick library that are great at teaching you guitar, they cover all sorts of bands/guitarists so you can learn your favourite songs.

Or you could just buy a TAB book for your fave band and get a feel for it that way. It's what I did as a teenager and I was fairly good (for a teenager).

The Shit Hot Dill Pickles were Thanet's finest RHCP cover band. :-)

There's several programs you can get for the computer for playing and editing tabs.......I use GuitarPro....and there's loadsa tabs for it on Ultimate Guitar site..... 8-) I also use RiffMaster Pro, where you can load an MP3 of a riff or song into it and use the program to slow it down, but it keeps the correct pitch.....so you can work out how to play the riff or song..... 8-)

I also use RiffMaster Pro, where you can load an MP3 of a riff or song into it and use the program to slow it down, but it keeps the correct pitch.....so you can work out how to play the riff or song..... 8-)

I use a Tascam gb10 that does the same thing but I wouldn't mind finding out if I can use something similar on my iPad, that would be dead handy.

Horses for courses but after some forty years of playing, I have always preferred the Strat. The Les Paul is an awesome guitar but after half an hour round your neck it feels like you are being dragged down. My oppo in the last band I played in loved Ibanez and they do have one hell of a good range. Then again, you can take something like a Jackson, stick some EMG pick ups in it and watch it fly. 2k will buy you a lot of guitar and the Les Paul copies, like Strat copies are getting better.

Best bet, go to a show and try as many as you can. Just like bikes really. If money was no object I would have a Mk1 Pensa Suhr...dribble dribble....