Intercom/2 way radio question

I'm just toying with the idea of getting a pair of radios for my husband and me, at least till I know what I'm doing, similar to what instructors use. Only cheaper - I expect they have professional ones.

I was dismayed to read on some of the ads that manufacturers are promoting gadgets that can be hooked up to MP3 players, radio stations, and the like. The one thing that is safer on a bike than in a car is the lack of distraction from inside the vehicle.

However, the person-to-person comms is probably a good idea, has anybody any experience of or advice about these things?

its something I looked at.. and then forgot about. there are no cheap bike to bike systems that work well. you are going to be looking at £200 at least.

its easier to find rider/pillion. which are far more affordable.. but you're upping the ante a fair whack looking at 2 way. bike to bike. All depends on how much you can justify spending.

We use Cobra radios for both rider to pillion and bike to bike, depending who I'm out with. I've seen them at Mapilns for £60 for the radios plus £20 for each helmet set, but I'm sure you can get them combined for less on the internet. Al_stu got me mine for a Xmas present a couple of years ago so you could ask him. Works fine for us, but not voice activated, you have to strap a button onto your handgrip/handlebar.

we have the BT interphones , £60 off ebay , and done about 4000 miles with them this year.... as a cheap starter set id recommend them to anyone.

they do bike to bike, headset to phone, headset to sat nav, and music.

they work better when your in line of sight ( lost touch a few times in the mountains on our Scotland trip), and can be patchy at high speed in high winds....but generally very pleased with them, and im sure theyd be fine for what you're after

ha!! my cunning plan worked.. say something isn't really possible and voila up pop some ideas!!

and can be patchy at high speed in high winds....

:lol: That is never, ever, going to be an issue!

I'll be reminding you of this little nugget when you buy yourself a hayabusa. :lol:

Cobra full set of radios + 2 helmet sets on Amazon at £60, also same set for £78 at another store so be careful. All sets get difficult at speeds above about 40 due to wind noise, unless you can get yourself a proper in ear earpiece, or a decent windscreen. I can use mine easily at motorway speeds but my son cant here me at 40 or more.

theres also no fiddling with buttons unless you want to swap from one mode to another ( and in that case theres a huge , glove friendly button on the headset) , we just open the channel when we set off and leave it open

I have a Scala rider q2 set. Pretty good. Works bike to bike for 3/4 a mile. Fairly decent.

I hook it up to my phone or ipod to get some tunes or use the radio.

Works with Sat Navigation too. I know that wasn't your criteria but pretty handy and none of it is too distracting.

As none bike I think the the equipment you are looking for is:

Hand held radios with ear piece and a function called VOX (Voice activated transmission). They are never very good and you do get what you pay for you can spend allot of money and find it does not work for you.

These radios not the greatest but might do the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-Retevis- ... 1270010088

There are others but I thought the pink might annoy your man :D

The problem is no ear piece, as soon as Google starts looking the price hits £80 odd for a pear....

The thing is I don't know if these will fit the above radios?

http://www.radiocoms.co.uk/shop?gclid=C ... p/33179849

They might not even need VOX radios they might do it the selves...

A couple of calls/ messages to the people who sell the stuff might help....

These might do the job????

http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/two-way-radios/two-way-radios/cobra-mt600-microphone-headset?gclid=Cj0KEQjwidKiBRCevbT6yeqPrJQBEiQA1iM2WZepHb_Dy4hGNXxfkrT_Om0fFZXyqyNPuwZDqhU2Lu4aAsO48P8HAQ

I was dismayed to read on some of the ads that manufacturers are promoting gadgets that can be hooked up to MP3 players, radio stations, and the like. The one thing that is safer on a bike than in a car is the lack of distraction from inside the vehicle.

Don't be dismayed! Do you drive a car - if so do you ever listen to the radio or music? I almost always ride listening to music, singing along. It was my way of coping with nerves after my off, and I love it. I still pay full attention to the road, I just enjoy even myself even more when I'm riding. I don't listen very loud and can still hear the road 8-)

If anything, you may find a radio is more distracting, especially if you're bickering with your OH!

We bought a pair of BT next intercoms for our anniversary. They are expensive but worth every penny. My hubby & I can chat as we ride along (pillion) & it's added another dimension to our trips out.

Hmm... having read your other thread about riding with your husband, and with my own experience of being the inconsiderate impatient husband riding in front, I would ask if it might be better to hold off until he's grown a little more patient and accustomed to your riding?

You can't go wrong with the BT head sets for the money, as little Cat says com's, phone, music, and sat nav for little money and yes they work on a Hayabusa , we have modified ours so that we use our inear head phones we find them more comfy than the stocks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-800m-BT-I ... 5afc7255a6

Used these on bike to bike (they can connect to any other BT device too such as scarla) and rider to pillion.

Very good for the money. The only thing I've had to do is re-glue the mounts on all of the devices I have (3) as they all snapped at some point but it's nothing a bit of superglue / resin can't sort.

Works well up to around 65mph... past that, no good :)

Distance for rider to rider is not the 800m they mentioned but more like 100m.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-800m-BT-Interphone-bluetooth-motorcycle-Motorbike-intercom-helmet-Headset-/390782408102?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5afc7255a6

Used these on bike to bike (they can connect to any other BT device too such as scarla) and rider to pillion.

Very good for the money. The only thing I've had to do is re-glue the mounts on all of the devices I have (3) as they all snapped at some point but it's nothing a bit of superglue / resin can't sort.

those are the ones we have that I was talking about, and they do a lot more than 100m at lower speeds, motorway or dual carriageway is a different matter, but we find that's because of the wind noise, not the distance

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-800m-BT-Interphone-bluetooth-motorcycle-Motorbike-intercom-helmet-Headset-/390782408102?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5afc7255a6

those are the ones we have that I was talking about, and they do a lot more than 100m at lower speeds, motorway or dual carriageway is a different matter, but we find that's because of the wind noise, not the distance

Me and my mate tested them at about 10mph to the end of my road, which is about 150m. He got about 2/3 of the way there before I was unable to make out what he was saying.

Perhaps environment and the amount of bluetooth devices is a factor.

Why doesn't anyone make a set like that but with in-ear headphones??

I bought a cheap Bluetooth set but the audio quality was poor.

What's the sound like for music on these? If its good I'll buy a set and modify it for in-ear earpeices.