Winter City break destination

handyandy24

Guys, I need help!

Its the mrs 30th coming up (24th jan), and I want to take her away for 2-3 nights. We are both foodies, don't really mind it being cold (don't want a hot holiday)

Ive been looking online, Paris, Rome, Venice, Amsterdam are all suggested. I don't want to be overwhelmed with the size of the place ie. Paris, but at the same time need stuff to do.

Any suggestions

I wouldnt rule Paris out for its size. I was there last year for the tour de france, also took in the other attractions too which meant using the underground which as far as im aware is one of the most efficient out there. Amazing city and looking forward to going back!

Also done Venice last year too, glad ive been and seen it but not sure its somewhere i would go back too. I was looking forward to the hearty italian cooking but turns out venice isnt great for food with them having to 'import' everything. Also struggled to find things to do! 4 days was too much for me and that was exploring the other little islands surrounding venice.

I recently went away on my own (first trip without friends or family) to Marrakech. Plenty there to keep me busy for three days, great food and shopping, and very cheap too. There's also no end of affordable guest houses and hotels in the city. I'd definitely go back.

Budapest too is somewhere I'm really fond of. Again there's plenty to keep you busy for a few days and a trip to the Gellert Spa is a nice way to warm yourself up on a cold winter day!

Both can be accessed direct from the UK with a variety of airlines - including easyJet and Ryanair if you don't want to break the bank.

I looked at Marrakech for thé reasons you outlined. Never been to africa, whats thé safety like?.im a bit uneducated so id be worried if it was a muslim country.is 2-3 nights enough?

With the short time that I had, I decided to stick to the main areas of interest, and always felt safe. I didn't feel threatened by anybody nor did I feel that the bag on my back was going to be snatched or have items removed from it. On the many occasions that i appeared lost (it's easily done) I was approached and pointed in the right direction. Many of the people were very friendly.

Morocco is a Muslim country that has come a long way - especially with regards to its treatment of women. Few women wear veils or any other type of headscarf, they can drive, marry/divorce, work etc. it didn't feel quite as I expected, if that makes sense.

The city is definitely do-able in just a few days. There is a hop on, hop off sightseeing bus which drops you at gardens, mosques, souks, museums etc, meaning that you don't have to spend endless hours walking.

During my three days, I spent just £40. That covered all transport, meals and shopping. I love visiting places where my wallet doesn't take a battering - and Marrakech didn't disappoint.

The foreign office offers no negative advice about travel to Morocco. (aside from driving standards) - the threat of terrorism there.. is just the same as any european country. including our own. I would go there without any worry. particularly if my base was a major city.. or specific/dedicated tourist area.

Edited by Anonymous

+1 for Barcelona. Pretty small place and easy to potter round in a couple of days. Some nice, out of the way areas if you want to be a bit secluded and some good restaurants.

Barça / Berlin Aldo options , id probably be dropping a few more quid there id Guess . I like thé ides of seeing a new culture thats alot Different to ours and i know thé mrs would enjoy that too.

Is any time of thé week beat for moroco, ie if i go Monday will stuff be closed? Also do thé locals speak much english?

All this advise and expérience is much appreciated

Is any time of thé week beat for moroco, ie if i go Monday will stuff be closed? Also do thé locals speak much english?

I was there over a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and didn't notice any attractions closed. I remember going to Cologne some years ago and the place was like a ghost town on a Sunday. Trying to pass the time when many shops and restaurants were closed was near impossible! But Marrakech is very much alive, both day and night. Jemaa el-Fnaa in Medina is a the big old square, which is at its best when the sun goes down - food and drink stalls, snake charmers, henna artists and the enormous souks of course.

The many restaurants in Jemaa el-Fnaa are very cheap. I paid around £3.50 for a basket of fresh bread, a plate of olives, a beef tagine (very tasty) and a litre bottle of sparkling water. That seems to be standard prices for middle of the road restaurants in the area.

English isn't too widely spoken. The main language is of course Arabic with many speaking French too. Many of the people that you encounter will known sufficient words to get by on and restaurants seem to offer menus in English too. For bartering in the souks, just plug your price into a calculator or your phone. English won't be necessary here!

Just be aware that the currency - the Moroccan Dirham - isn't available outside of Morocco and nor are visitors expected take unspent money home. You're best to take sterling and change small amounts as and when you need it. You'll find some exchange counters in the airport and plenty in the city, with there not being very much difference in rates. At the moment, it's a little over 13 Dirhams to the Pound.

I went to Amsterdam March of this year. Interesting place. So much to see and do (I recomend the heineken brewery if you do get it from one of the shops there we got a reduced price canal tour!) food is neat lots of waffles, with a side of waffles aswell as fries covered in mayonaise.

Otherwise if you don't wanna travel, Brighton is an awesome place to visit, Lovely beach, the pier, the wheel, qwerky little shops and hidden cafes. I recomend staying at the hotel by the train station (forgot name >.> Something bell i think?) its only a 5-10minute walk into town and its cheaper/quieter than most hotels.

Brighton full of benders

Africa ..Ebola

Muslim country's ... :shock:

Never been but what about Bruge

Brighton's not full of "benders". It does have a large LGBT community (which is not bad at all) it is a lovely place to visit.

Also the whole of Africa is not infected with ebola. It is a very small part of West Africa that is infected.

Guys, I need help!

Its the mrs 30th coming up (24th jan), and I want to take her away for 2-3 nights. We are both foodies, don't really mind it being cold (don't want a hot holiday)

Ive been looking online, Paris, Rome, Venice, Amsterdam are all suggested. I don't want to be overwhelmed with the size of the place ie. Paris, but at the same time need stuff to do.

Any suggestions

Omnes viae Romam dvcvnt! Salvete, senatvs popvlvsqve Romanorvm!

I went to Amsterdam March of this year. Interesting place. So much to see and do (I recomend the heineken brewery if you do get it from one of the shops there we got a reduced price canal tour!) food is neat lots of waffles, with a side of waffles aswell as fries covered in mayonaise.

I second Amsterdam - so very pretty and loads to see and do. The sex museum of course is a must :mrgreen: loads of great photography/art museums and nice little shops. I was a student with v little money when I went and managed to eat and go places and enjoy myself lots :thumb: watching friends get stoned and then taking them on rides was pretty amusing too :lol:

I second Amsterdam - so very pretty and loads to see and do. The sex museum of course is a must :mrgreen: loads of great photography/art museums and nice little shops. I was a student with v little money when I went and managed to eat and go places and enjoy myself lots :thumb: watching friends get stoned and then taking them on rides was pretty amusing too :lol:

I should've known!! haha, i walked past it a couple of times debating it :mrgreen: Theres a giant penis aparently inside?

I should've known!! haha, i walked past it a couple of times debating it :mrgreen: Theres a giant penis aparently inside?

There certainly was when I was in there ;)