Motorcycle Dryer

Pete

Anybody use one?

I'd never even considered it before on previous bikes, but after seeing one used in a couple of All Year Biker videos I'm considering whether I would use one. I've never considered it before on previous bikes, normally just a chamois leather or even a quick rub down with a microfibre has been enough. However, with my new bike (BMW R1200GS) there are quite a few nooks and crannies where water seems to gather - this morning I found quite a lot of water deep down inside the cooling fins on top of the cylinder heads which can't be doing any good, especially if left to sat for a while. I guess a blast down the motorway should clear it, but I don't always ride it straight after a clean.

I've considered compressed air, but that's pricey. The motorcycle dryers that you can get on eBay aren't cheap - £80 seem crazy! I've got a battery powered air bed inflator that I'm charging up (found it in the loft!) and will give that a go. Might not have enough poof though. Any other thoughts?

I plan on giving the bike the All Year Biker treatment myself this year. £60 that AYB charge seems reasonable considering the time and materials used, but I reckon I can do a good enough job myself and it means I get a new skill (proper prepping for winter with ACF50 is something I've not done before).

Cheers.

you don't have to just use ACF in the winter.. its useful all year round particularly for areas of the bike where water tends to accumulate. bearing in mind these same areas aren't usually 'obvious'. My 800 has a few of those.. so, once the winter salt has vanished and the 'in your face' ACF removed.. I'll reapply it to these hidden nooks and crannies - which will then be completely protected. water can sit there as long as it likes and do no harm at all.

Although a compressor may be expensive it's something you can use for loads of things so it's definitely worth the investment. You can spray paint, grind, drill, all sorts you just need the attachments.

You can buy a cheap compressor for around 100quid..

Way more uses than a bike dryer, but the cheap ones are likely to be noisy!

Wonder if you could just get an old gas cylinder and pump it up at a petrol station?? No idea if petrol station air machines produce enough pressure..

Also that assumes you have a car to transport the thing ;)

I saw them for sale at the London bike show for £140 last year. I'd already bought one for £70. It's on eBay under "dog dryer". Exactly the same , but with a different sticker on it. After washing my bike, I blow all the water off the bike, outta all the nooks and crannies, so it doesn't sit there and cause rust spots. It has adjustable air speed and temperature. It can blow gentle warm air or blast cold air out. I also use it to blow leaves of my drive.

All good thoughts!

My thinking exactly on ACF50, Shorty. I thought I'd buy the stuff myself so I can keep applying it.

Only issue with getting a compressor (and I would love to have one - Lidl had one a few weeks back for £80!) is my garage has no power :( I'd need a 50 metre lead that trails across two other people's driveways to get it to the garage. Something they probably wouldn't mind (or even notice) though especially temporarily whilst the compressor is in use , so might be an option one day.

Not thought of looking for a dog dryer, great idea! And a leaf blower could well do the trick. I'll have a look at how much battery powered ones are.

Nice one folks. I'll let you know how I get on with my air bed inflator! It's not the most powerful, but might work well enough. It's smallish as well so can get it in and out of tight spots on the bike.

Hairdryer was my first thought but it lacks the pressure to push the water out of some places. Don't really need the heat because the cylinder heads get hot enough to boil it off it Id rather not fire it up for ten mins every time I wash it :lol:

Loads of compressors on fleecebay for £80 seems to be the going price. I got one and it seems to work fine.

Machine mart have a fab little 1HP compressor for £95 that I'm after!

Only has a 8 litre tank and 4.5CFM but that will run most tools for a half decent amount of time before I wait for the tank to fill back up.

What's the spec on the £80?

I find the idea of a bike dryer a bit novel! What went wrong with a leather shammy :lol:

I got this and it works great. 25lt 2hp, it had a slightly higher flow than similar ones on ebay but it is probably the same one with a different sticker on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-COMPRESSO ... 51b9eb1a55

how loud is it??

i bought a cheap compressor recently and its defening when it runs!!

It's fine but I don't know how to compare it. I have heard lots of small compressors run and it's just the same. not as loud as a bigger one.

mine scared the crap out of me a couple of weeks ago. I was in the garage, not using any air tools, but it suddenly decided to fire up when i was stood with my back to it! :lol: :lol:

I got this and it works great. 25lt 2hp, it had a slightly higher flow than similar ones on ebay but it is probably the same one with a different sticker on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-COMPRESSO ... 51b9eb1a55

Liking the tank size, but 2HP is too much for me :damn:

It's only 1CFM more anyhow, so I reckon I'll manage when I get my 1HP model.

My garage is currently powered by a leisure battery and about 3000 lm worth of LED's :lol:

It's getting a 1000W suitcase generator (only makes 60db on 1/4 load). Which I'm going to put in its little shelter about 10 metres from the garage. So a 1hp (750w) motor is probably the max I will run on it at any one time.

Bear in mind that with a compressor cycle time is important so if it has to run continually to keep up it will be clapped out in a short period of time. The bigger the cylinder the better as it allows the motor to stop and cool down.

Bear in mind that with a compressor cycle time is important so if it has to run continually to keep up it will be clapped out in a short period of time. The bigger the cylinder the better as it allows the motor to stop and cool down.

Ah, hadn't thought about that.

My usage is minimal, 3" grinder, maybe an impact wrench and an air blower for brake calipers, occasionally I may even use a spray gun. Reckon that will be ok?

And could I use it to quickly blow dry a bike? Is there such an attachment to give a wide burst of air? (just to bring this on topic slightly)

Sorry for the off topic, but thanks for the help!

I don't have any experience of using air tools, but I have been told by mechanic friends that most air tools use a lot of air, so if you don't have a 50lt comp at least not too bother. The one I have is fine for paint guns, tyre inflators and a blow gun for drying or cleaning dust off, all fine for that.

So I tried the air bed inflator today - not great :lol: as expected really

Ran it for maybe 3 minutes before it started to run out of battery. Didn't do a bad job of shifting water, but only from places I could access with a chamois anyway. Deep recesses were out, just doesn't have the power to shift the water.

Compressor is still a no go, I've no power to the garage. Petrol compressor maybe, but that's probably overkill for what I need.

I think my best bet is going to be to wheel the bike as close as possible to the house and get a dog dryer on it. Let the neighbours think what they will about "look at him the kinky bast*rd blow drying his motorbike again" :lol:

Personally, I have Jeeves dry the SV with a chamois before bringing me a a plate of cucumber sandwiches (with the crusts cut off) and a glass of champers.

A chamois? How frightfully bourgeois.

I have my personal valet attend to my vehicles using the finest pelt of baby seal, they're renowned for their absorbent and super soft qualities don't you know.

Anyway, back on topicish... With regard to compressors, has anyone ever tried to adapt a small/no receiver type to collect in an old gas bottle or something?

Just a thought...