Sittingbourne

Joe85

Given the users of this forum are spread across the breadth of this fine land, ithought it may be a good place to get an informed opinion on Sittingbourne, commonly referred to as Sh*ttingbourne by others I've asked. Need to upsize the house and, unfortunately that means moving out of London.

So any dwellers? Does it live up to its unflattering nickname?

Will you still be working in London?

If so, consider Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Tunbridge wells. All on the fast train line to London and very nice places to live.

Prices close to the stations are higher as these are commuter towns, but if you're prepared to live a little way away from the station its a good excuse for a new "station bike" ;)

I used to do some work for one of the companies on Kent Science Park (the old Shell research site) in Sittingbourne. It's a bit of a dump - and that's coming from someone who used to live in Stoke-on-Trent!

:D

I lived in Sittingbourne for a while - Watson's Hill. It wasn't too bad - pretty much the same as the rest of Medway... Plenty of chavs kicking around and hugely overweight women wearing velour tracksuits pushing buggies about.

Have a look at the places Joeman suggested although Tunbridge Wells is a bit pricey if you want to be in the nice bit (used to commute from Sittingbourne to my store in Tun Wells). That's where I'd be looking. :-)

Oh, and avoid Dartford and Gravesend if you can. I had another job up there and can categorically say it's one of the most crime riddled turd holes I've ever come across - I actually had a call out one night to some twat trying to steal my bike! :shock:

So any dwellers? Does it live up to its unflattering nickname?

Grew up in Faversham so know the place quite well.

Sittingbourne's largest supermarket is Asda. Need I say any more? :lol:

So far the consensus is scumhole. :D

Knew those prices where too good to be true. Feck.

Cheers chaps.

West Kingsdown is a bit cheaper, no schools round there though.. also close to Brands Hatch...

So far the consensus is scumhole. :D

Knew those prices where too good to be true. Feck.

Cheers chaps.

West Kingsdown is a bit cheaper, no schools round there though.. also close to Brands Hatch...

And full of pikeys

Hey......I used to live in Dartford and it's not a sh*thole......calling Dartford a sh*thole is doing sh*tholes a disservice...... :wink: :lol: :lol:

But.....Sittingbourne has a fairly bad rep.......and the commute from there to Canary Wharf wouldn't be great.....even on a bike..... :shock:

Sevenoaks and Tunbridge are still a bit pricey because they are fairly reasonable places to live.....and are reasonable to commute into town..... 8-)

Eynesford always used to be a niceish place......bit small, but nice enough...... :wink:

my oldest son lives in chatham and hates it lots of problems if he could afford to get out he would ther is a reason the house prices are that much cheaper down there is grans house needs renovating and is a 3 bed place quite big inside and best offer they have for it is about 85 grand and once done up they only sell for 130 grand according to him which is very cheap in todays market and being that close to london

Seems I'm kinda low on options. I've a budget of 280 absolute max looking for a 4 bed (4th kid on the way) and there's a few new builds going up down there which fit the bill, however I don't want to be stuck in a turdhole.

Yep you're gonna struggle with a budget like that unless you head further out or into the sticks away from transport links. Even then 280 for a 4 bed house will be a problem in Kent :(

Seems I'm kinda low on options. I've a budget of 280 absolute max looking for a 4 bed (4th kid on the way) and there's a few new builds going up down there which fit the bill, however I don't want to be stuck in a turdhole.

You could always look the other side of the river which would make the commute a little more manageable too.

Move up north and commute, only takes just over an Hour on the train from Manchester to London central on Virgin. Obviously don't need to come this far up.

If only that worked :cry:

I've tried it, 1 hr 20 is the best time I've done the first leg, but traversing the rest of London is a nightmare and if you work more than 10 miles from the station, you can add another hour or so onto your journey!

My only suggestion is, have you looked in the Surrey area?

Places that you can access the A3 from are good as that goes right into central london, and if you have an early commute I know the leatherhead to hammersmith stretch is done in 15 mins. You can be in Vauxhall within half an hour.

But that depends on where you work right now!