Chain making noises

G-TT600

At low revs, if I'm quite hard on the throttle the chain starts 'clucking' at me... Like a tapping noise,

The tension is alright but I can see that it had worn though it's 'rest' (apologies I'm not sure what this part is called)

on the top leg of the chain, where it rests on my swing arm, is is some kind of linear bearing to save wear on the chain and swing arm. where do I get another of these? is it hard to change? what is it called and is it likely to be the underlying factor in this funny noise?

I await your useful advice patiently :D

On all of the bikes I've had, there is a plastic slip / chain guide (not sure what it's proper name is). It is literally a plastic guide that protects the swing arm and should be changed at about every 20-30000 miles or so. They are cheap but usually requires you to remove the swing arm. If your going to do that, you may as well change the swing arm bearings while your there and spend an extra 15 - 20 quid.

I get the sort of noise you speak of when using the bike in shitty weather. Could be that you have a sticking link. That will make that noise at low revs in low gears, you won't notice the noise when it's going round faster. Maybe worth a look there first.

I was concerned maybe the chain is on it's way out, I feel I should probably change that too, but I can quite plainly see that the plastic wear strip that we are both referring to is fubbarred lol

yeah, sounds like a pain.... anyone know of any decent bike garages near Didcot?

they're probably not very busy at the moment right?

i wouldn't count on it, power rangers retiring their bikes for the winter. If you have the tools have a crack your self pal it's only nuts and bolts

I am a mechanic by trade, but I don't have a garage, or anywhere dry to have a go

I will ask around my friends to see whether I can borrow one haha, how do I get my hands on one of these wear pads?

Give your local triumph garage a bell and check their prices. It's a strip of plastic so won't cost a great deal. They also last for years so worth sorting as they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a new chain.

It's the rubbing strip on the top of the swing arm Steve......it's a common problem.....they do wear through on these bikes..... :wink: It's made worse if people reduce the front sprocket size too...... :wink:

I think it's a bit of a fiddle, but it can be replaced without removing the swing arm..... 8-)

Part #15 on this page.....£26 ish...... http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... 03=1692029

I have bought one, I am just waiting for a dry day to have a go fitting it without removing the swing arm.

the chain was a bit loose, but it has been sorted now :-)

I was a bit scared to play with it because of the rear wheel alignment, but I have no idea what I was afraid of lol