Bloody cyclists..

Glorian

Just kidding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29894590

What's all of your opinions? I agree with the helmet one even if it doesnt protect AMAZINGLY it might just be enough to save someones life. Also we as motorcyclists have to wear helmets that are certified, i know we can go a LOT faster but still if cycle helmets are mandatory in USA (Unless i read wrong?) Should really be here to. I always wear mine when i go out on the cycle.

No, I don't agree with compulsory helmets for cyclists. I agree with them for motorbikes because we go a lot faster on a motorbike than on a bicycle. I wouldn't want to be bombing along a country lane with the throttle wide open without a full-face helmet! Even large insects and other bits of debris tend to hurt quite a lot when they hit your face at Warp Factor 9, and could probably blind you as well if you were hit in the eye.

I wear a helmet when I'm out for a "serious" cycle on my road bike because I tend to average about 20mph in flat and calm conditions, and much faster than that down hills or with a stiff tailwind.

But when I'm on my shopping bike, why should I have to wear a helmet just to cycle 1/2 mile down the road into town at no more than about 10mph? That's running speed. Would they advocate that all runners should wear helmets too?

i'd rather see the law more rigorously enforced with regard to cyclists who (a) go around at night with no lights or reflectors, (b) weave at speed through pedestrians on pavements and © jump red lights and do other crazy things.

There are a lot of cyclists here in Southampton who ride like complete f*ckwits - probably because many of them are students who don't have driving licences and don't anticipate the other traffic on the road.

Incidentally, it strikes me that because cyclists who already break the law don't seem to draw the attention of the police, I would expect that a "compulsory helmet" law would be similarly ignored.

Legislating against something doesn't make a problem go away. And in this case, I don't see that there is even a problem in the first place.

Valid points, how ever a lot of cyclists i see (especially on weekends around country roads) are going easily 20-30mph at least half dont have helmets. now if they came off it would be as bad as coming off a motorcycle at those speeds with nothing to cushion an impact they're asking for trouble. I can see a quick ride a short distance away not requiring protection but you would never be able to enforce that it would have to be an "Everyone wears one" law. TBH they're not heavy or cumbersome or even take long to put on it's a quick click and boom off you go =D

I know its not a fair comparison.. but go to the netherlands where there are more bikes than people.. you'll very rarely see anyone wearing a helmet. now.. you could say that cycling is a lot safer over there.. as its such a deeply ingrained part of the national psyche. but.. with millions of people on bikes every day - accidents must happen. thats inevitable.. and still - no helmets. In fact.. Ive just read that the opinion over there is that wearing a helmet is simply put: bizarre.

To be honest, I don't think even motorcycle helmets should be compulsory. As long as people are educated on the risks, then its up tp them if they want to take them or not.

As the article says, bicycle helmets are not as tough as people think. My moms boyfriend was killed in a bicycle accident many years ago and a helmet would have made no difference at all to the outcome, although a motorcycle helmet may have saved his life. Should we make all cyclists wear motorcycle helmets?

Or should we all start walking round in zorb balls just to be on the safe side?

the thing that most governments don't realise is that people do NOT need saving from themselves

To be honest, I don't think even motorcycle helmets should be compulsory. As long as people are educated on the risks, then its up tp them if they want to take them or not.

As the article says, bicycle helmets are not as tough as people think. My moms boyfriend was killed in a bicycle accident many years ago and a helmet would have made no difference at all to the outcome, although a motorcycle helmet may have saved his life. Should we make all cyclists wear motorcycle helmets?

Or should we all start walking round in zorb balls just to be on the safe side?

the thing that most governments don't realise is that people do NOT need saving from themselves

I dunno.. you see some of the people out there do so much stupid crap just because they can then end up injured, A helmet might not 100% save lives but it might save someones or prevent more serious injury. It's a fairly basic minimal protection considering how vulnerable they are.

As for netherlands they have segregated pathways(at least in amsterdam) for bicycles so it is a LOT more safe as they're taken care of better than our roads and you're away from the (minimal) cars.

It would be nice if other rules of the road were compulsory for cyclists such as stopping at red lights and giving way at roundabouts etc.

It would be nice if other rules of the road were compulsory for cyclists such as stopping at red lights and giving way at roundabouts etc.

They are as far as i'm aware.. they just ignore them.

They are! The trouble is that so many cyclists don't pay the blindest bit of attention to the rules of the road and are not held to account for having transgressed them, that the more narrow-minded road users among us feel justified in branding anyone on a bicycle as a "bloody cyclist".

Wondered how long it'd take for you to chip in :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: DON`T YA JUST LUV UM. Bloke the other morning, pitch black at around 6.30am. All in black, no feckin lights (or very dim ones at that) and on the road next to a cycle path. Buses and the odd lorry having to stay behind him (astonishingly having noticed him) because they cannot pass.

So as stated................. "Bloody cyclists". :up: :up:

I know its not a fair comparison.. but go to the netherlands where there are more bikes than people.. you'll very rarely see anyone wearing a helmet. now.. you could say that cycling is a lot safer over there.. as its such a deeply ingrained part of the national psyche. but.. with millions of people on bikes every day - accidents must happen. thats inevitable.. and still - no helmets. In fact.. Ive just read that the opinion over there is that wearing a helmet is simply put: bizarre.

I've spent a bit of time in Copenhagen visiting relatives. Over there cycling is a big thing and the cyclist rule the roads.

Basically they have taken a perfectly good road network and overlaid a network of cyclepaths and given the cyclists priority. So if cars are turning at junctions its quite normal for a stream of cyclists to just ride up the inside of them, and the cars have to wait... the cyclist has right of way!!

also the cyclists dont tolerate any other road user and will shout abuse if you wander into their cycle lane.

its a mental system, but it does work.. but as a motorist i would find it very frustrating having to give way to totally oblivious cyclist...

My colleagues dislike bikers more than cyclists.

(Awkward for me), but they make pretty valid points in why.

An example which I can back them up with is:

I was following a biker (CBR600RR) on the M1, filtering through stationary traffic at ~15mph. He came to a narrower gap between two cars and revved the s*** out of his bike until they moved. He then went through shaking his head.

It's as though he thought that it's his right of way! Not the only time I've experienced this.

Bloody Bikers...... :lol:

My colleagues dislike bikers more than cyclists.

(Awkward for me), but they make pretty valid points in why.

An example which I can back them up with is:

I was following a biker (CBR600RR) on the M1, filtering through stationary traffic at ~15mph. He came to a narrower gap between two cars and revved the s*** out of his bike until they moved. He then went through shaking his head.

It's as though he thought that it's his right of way! Not the only time I've experienced this.

Bloody Bikers...... :lol:

Yeh I see what your saying but it's a bit like when you waiting to pull out at a junction (in a car) and traffic begins to build up on the road your wanting to pull out on and instead of leaving a gap so you can move out into the traffic, some bugger just blocks the junction until the traffic moves.

Whilst he's entitled to do it, a bit of consideration for others is always nice.

Not that that excuses loud revs.

Push bikes riding to a breast having a chat ...jumping red lights and thinking they have more right than any one else to be on the road.

And another thing when you get loads of em in an organised road race causing chaos for other road users ...go hire a proper race track.

Quite a lot of hate for the cyclist.

Road tax is emissions based. since a bicycle puts out no emission, they pay no tax. also they would do very little damage to the road fabric. Further there are some cars that pay no road tax. That argument is moot. Please stop using it!

Insurance. Some cyclists do have insurance for their bicycles if they are involved with an accident. It's simply not a legal requirement because generally speaking, in a bicycle vs car incident, the bicycle comes off worst, therefore good cyclists avoid collisions!

finally - riding 2 abreast. It's not illegal. A cyclist may ride where they damn well want in the road as they are a road user, just the same as you or me. It may be a little inconsiderate sometimes, but illegal it is not.

Cyclists disobeying red lights. Not all cyclists disobey red lights - just the same as not all bikers rev the nuts off their bike and ride around at 100mph in 20 zones - as most people would have you believe. Just because a few do it, doesn't mean that all do it. The ones that do are tools.

Cyclists pulling out into roundabouts - again see the point above. you can't tar all cyclists with the same brush.

Quite frankly all the arguments above are childish and a bit pointless.

Road tax is emissions based. since a bicycle puts out no emission, they pay no tax. also they would do very little damage to the road fabric. Further there are some cars that pay no road tax. That argument is moot. Please stop using it!

Insurance. Some cyclists do have insurance for their bicycles if they are involved with an accident. It's simply not a legal requirement because generally speaking, in a bicycle vs car incident, the bicycle comes off worst, therefore good cyclists avoid collisions!

finally - riding 2 abreast. It's not illegal. A cyclist may ride where they damn well want in the road as they are a road user, just the same as you or me. It may be a little inconsiderate sometimes, but illegal it is not.

Cyclists disobeying red lights. Not all cyclists disobey red lights - just the same as not all bikers rev the nuts off their bike and ride around at 100mph in 20 zones - as most people would have you believe. Just because a few do it, doesn't mean that all do it. The ones that do are tools.

Cyclists pulling out into roundabouts - again see the point above. you can't tar all cyclists with the same brush.

Do you ride a push bike by any chance :D

Nope! I used to, so I experienced first hand of being punished for the transgressions of other cyclists by vigilante motorist! I just feel it's pretty wrong to tar every member of a subset of society with the same brush because one or two did something you don't agree with.

I do occasionally but I still hate cyclists :D When I ride my push rod I try to cycle on cycle paths or trails at all times, or quiet country lanes away from traffic...if I do have to cycle on a road I try and stay out of everyone's way and observe the rules of the road as I would in my car/on my bike.

There's loads of really wide and clean cycle paths near where I live but you still get the lycra-clad MAMILs thinking they are Bradley Wiggins who choose to cycle on the road because it's easier for them and they don't care that they are holding traffic up as lorries and buses can't get past them.

They go through red lights because it's too much hassle to take their clip-on shoes out of their peddles.

Don't give way at roundabouts as they don't want to lose speed.

Jump on and off the pavements at will depending on what is most convenient for them.

Overtake or undertake and weave out of traffic depending on what is most convenient for them.

Ride two/three abreast so they can talk to each other.

Some of what they do is illegal, a lot of what they do is just rude, selfish and discourteous. THAT'S why people don't like them. Plus it's the majority, not the minority of cyclists I see on the roads that behave badly.