Understanding the Licence Regulations

Hi all,

Under the latest UK laws and regulations on motorcycle licences is there any benefit to me have two years experience on a 125cc motorbike (cbt), not sure I am understanding the rules fully?

Thanks

As far as i understand it.

CBT lasts for 2 years allows you to ride a bike up to (correct if im wrong) 12BHP. After 2 years you have to re-take the CBT to carry on riding.

You can do a full license in several ways, taking 2 theory test then getting A1(17) or A2(19) license will allow you to ride a 125(without license running out like CBT) and standard motorcycle of 35KW of power.

Or you can take the DAS at 24, in which case you do your CBT>Theory>Mod1(Manouvers in a closed area)>Mod2(Riding around a town) and you can ride any bike unrestricted this gives you license category of A

Hope this is helpful / what you wanted to read =D

Thanks Glorian,

I have completed my theory test and am over 24.

Did you mean "the" theory test not "2" theory tests? Just checking I haven't missed.

So at the moment I have a cbt (still valid), a theory test passed and am over 24. If I did my mod 1 and mod 2 test on my own 125cc bike what would that give me and for how long? Would that give me an A2 licence meaning I could ride anything up to 35kW (with no time limit on it)? I guess if I had this I would still need to do a full DAS to ride anything regardless of how long I had the A2 licence for.

Thanks again really appreciate the input.

There just the one theory test =) And like the CBT it only lasts 2 years. Contact a bike training company and they will arrange training. But to do the DAS it is on a 600CC motorbike so you'll likely get trained for mod 1 (google to see what its about) and then take test and same for mod 2. Mine cost me £500 but that included the theory. So that includes theory Mod 1 Mod 2 bike (fuel insurance etc) and practice time. Ring around and get a good price =)

CBT is up to 14.6 BHP and 125cc. As you are old enough for a big boys licence there is really little advantage to spending 2 years on a 125, if you have a 125 already just spend a short time getting used to riding. If you don't have one just go do a DAS course if you still want a 125 after that you can get one but if you prefer a Hayabusa you can get that too.

The 2 years on a 125 thing used to be because you could pass your test on a 125 and then wait out a restriction period for 2 years before getting auto upgraded to a proper licence. Europe put an end to that. If you do your licence on a 125 you will have an A1 licence and can only ride a 125 up to 14.6BHP so that's a waste of time too.

No benefit on riding a 125cc for two years at all apart from two years no claim bonus before upgrading to a bigger bike. As you're over 24, then I'd look into doing DAS and going straight for an A license on a 600cc school bike. You can still stick with your 125 if you want, but will then have the freedom to move up to a bigger bike as and when you want.

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Here goes my mini rant.... I use my bike mainly for commuting on city roads which are quiet congested. I feel that more bikers will be encouraged to avoid using cars and getting a bike if 125cc users are given more options. I am confused why after 2 years 125cc users need to retake a cbt, they have 2 years experience on a bike. It doesn't make sense.

I really want to get my full licence, it's just time and money need to be factored in.

Thanks again everyone!

It's only supposed to be a "stepping stone" it stands for "Compulsory basic training" (if i spelt that right) It stands to reason you'll need refreshing on the skills as it's not a full on "test" it's just training. and if the instructor is happy they give you a certificate.

CBT training is very basic. I wouldn't call anyone an expert that's just sat the CBT course and had 2 years to pick up all manner of bad habits.

You can do a das course over 3/4 days with some training schools which will see you through to getting your A license. This should be your target as the A1 license will cost you as much money, but you will have all the restrictions. Pointless!

after passing a DAS course, as previously stated, you can throw the L places away for your 125 and ride around happily for the rest of your existance. ORRR you can rush out and buy a much nicer bike to commute on - CB500/ GS500/ SV650/fazer hornet etc etc. you won't' need to rinse the bollocks off any of these bikes in your standard town riding.

Best of luck!

You could if you didn't want to step above a 125 do an A1 licence very cheaply. You would need to book the MOD1 and MOD2 yourself then turn up on your 125 and take the tests. Including theory I think if you passed both MOD's first time you would be around £130-ish. Then no more bi-annual CBT.

No real reason not to pass that way. A carpark and some old coke bottles are adequate to practice MOD 1. MOD 2 I'd suggest reading a lot of roadcraft and watching videos then go and burn off a tank of fuel riding the area near the test centre putting what you read and viewed in to practice.

CBT training is very basic. I wouldn't call anyone an expert that's just sat the CBT course and had 2 years to pick up all manner of bad habits.

You can do a das course over 3/4 days with some training schools which will see you through to getting your A license. This should be your target as the A1 license will cost you as much money, but you will have all the restrictions. Pointless!

after passing a DAS course, as previously stated, you can throw the L places away for your 125 and ride around happily for the rest of your existance. ORRR you can rush out and buy a much nicer bike to commute on - CB500/ GS500/ SV650/fazer hornet/bandit 600 etc etc. you won't' need to rinse the bollocks off any of these bikes in your standard town riding.

Best of luck!

Fixed :up:

or.. just cut out the middleman and get a BMW. pipe and slippers are nowadays purely optional.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/motobiker/germans-1.jpg~original

Thanks again everyone. You make very important points that CBT is "basic" training. Nothing like a full licence worth of training would give you.

Of course I would absolutely love to get my full licence. That's a good suggestion on the A1, doing Mod 1 and Mod 2 on the 125cc, however I would say the chances of passing first time on these would be much less than by going through the training route?

If I could have anything tomorrow (no time or financial restrictions) it would be this:

Full licence, Honda CBR600RR.

Reality is 99% of the my bike at the moment is used for commuting to work and back, so what I have at the moment does the job:

CBT, theory, CBR125R

The main reason I am trying to plan the next steps is that next summer my current CBT will run out :cry:

As my biking is mainly commuting at the moment, if I did get my full licence I would probably go for a Honda Hornet which I have been keeping an eye on in the ads for a while now.

Did anyone here do there mod 1 and mod 2 in the winter? Just wondering if this is a sensible option to consider?

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the input! :D