Drop kerb. Council?

Red Dragon

I am a home owner and currently in the process of building a driveway.

Outside my house there is a path before the road and it looks like i will need to drop 4 whole kerbs and two half kerbs.

Has anyone applied to do this before? Is it the council i get in touch with?

Any feedback on peoples experiences with this will be appreciated.

Thanks

you should have done this before building the drive!!!

you need to contact the council and will probably cost you in the region of £500

if they refuse it be careful as they may check and stick bollards in front of your new drive!

Someone I'm my street applied for one. The council came round and measured the distance from the kerb to the house. Since it was less than 5metrers they refused the drop kerb as they said it wasn't enough room to park a car without blocking the pavement.

So long as your new drive is permeable it doesn't require planning permission so they can't stop you from building a drive, but they can refuse the drop kerb.

Someone I'm my street applied for one. The council came round and measured the distance from the kerb to the house. Since it was less than 5metrers they refused the drop kerb as they said it wasn't enough room to park a car without blocking the pavement.

So long as your new drive is permeable it doesn't require planning permission so they can't stop you from building a drive, but they can refuse the drop kerb.

Don't forget that gas water telecoms etc are lain in foot way at less depth than in carriageway. If present YOU may have to protect/divert such. If for instance a fibre cable or electric mains etc it can cost thousands.

How do I know ? Until I recently retired it was my job to plan & cost such works

:D

I had mine done few years back...contact council they have to approve it , can't remember how much they charge to do that , then they give you a list of builders with public liability insurance who can do the job , mine cost £1400 but can be up to £2000, if there are lots of other houses in your street that have had it done , shouldn't be a problem, unless you got a lamppost or tree or bus stop etc out side your house,

And as post above said if you got any wires pipes where you want it done ..it will get expensive.

Round here it is approx £500 for the rights to do it, then about the same again for the work itself. The reason you have to pay a fee is you are buying the land between your property and the carriageway, this gives you the right to use it, and stops anyone else blocking it.

Also be aware, if you use the drive without dropping the kerb and the weight of a car breaks a kerbstone, you can be liable for any claims in the event of someone tripping and making a claim for injury, and the council can chase you for the repair cost to the kerb. Never heard of this actually happening though.

We park bikes and my car is kept on the 'garden' but I think we will probably do it just for peace of mind and to stop damage to the car bumping up and down.

The reason you have to pay a fee is you are buying the land between your property and the carriageway, this gives you the right to use it, and stops anyone else blocking it.

You're not buying land, and there's no conveyancing involved. You have as much right as anyone else to use the highway.

The fee relates to the cost of inspection and approval using whatever system your local authority (and/or the highway authority) currently have in place. The fee structure is determined locally which is why there are large variances.

Round here it is approx £500 for the rights to do it, then about the same again for the work itself. The reason you have to pay a fee is you are buying the land between your property and the carriageway, this gives you the right to use it, and stops anyone else blocking it.

Also be aware, if you use the drive without dropping the kerb and the weight of a car breaks a kerbstone, you can be liable for any claims in the event of someone tripping and making a claim for injury, and the council can chase you for the repair cost to the kerb. Never heard of this actually happening though.

We park bikes and my car is kept on the 'garden' but I think we will probably do it just for peace of mind and to stop damage to the car bumping up and down.

Someone can park in front an empty drive, they just can't block you in.

I don't need 3 people to tell me how wrong I am . Thank you.

Pardon me for replying...

Just trying to help,

Sometimes, apparently, trying just isn't good enough.

Oh the irony... :roll: