Training questions

I'm 22. I own a 125cc and have been riding it for a few months. I could go for an A2 licence but don't want to shell out for training + bike hire (several hundred pounds), especially when I might want to take the full A tests in the non-so-distant future anyway. So I think I'm going to go for a A1 licence simply in order to keep riding my bike after the CBT runs out (April '15), in which case I only have to pay test fees. Does this sound like the sensible thing to do to you guys?

I could take some training sessions (have only had CBT training so far) but I'm not sure I need them. I've already passed my car test and been riding the 125cc I'll be taking the test in for months. Anyone have any experience of taking the riding tests without any training past CBT? Would anyone recommend it, or encourage against it?

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Welcome to TMBF mate.......pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the gang when you can..... 8-)

TBH, I think I'd just redo the CBT and wait until you're 24 and do the full A license if you're not planning on doing the A2...... :wink:

A1 plan sounds ok. Theory + the 2 Mods will be somewhere around £130. So if you pass 1st time that's not a lot more than a CBT. Find an empty car park, take some old bottles and mark out and practice MOD 1. MOD 2 a little trickier to practice, read roadcraft books, watch videos and then burn a tank of petrol putting it in to practice around your local test centre.

A day practicing for MOD 2 with a school is liable to cost more than the MOD 2 so I'd not bother. If you fail MOD 2 1st time take onboard why you failed, book again and get it right 2nd time.

If it's cost your thinking of then the most cost effective way would be cbt for neat year and bit then do full test, you can always sit your test on your own bike so if you bought a bike then you save a bit on bike hire. Just make sure you get a bike that it's practical to do your tests on, like I wouldn't get a gixer to do a mod 1 on you really need an upright or semi upright bike for that. Not saying it's not possible as I have mastered it now but when training a sports bike would have lengthened my course I think

Anyone have any experience of taking the riding tests without any training past CBT? Would anyone recommend it, or encourage against it?

Any thoughts appreciated :)

My son passed his test to gain a full A licence (restricted) with no training beyond CBT but I wouldn't advise it.

Pre-test training is more than just preparing you for the test, it's about preparing you to stay safe and alive on the roads.

• 5 months later...

7 month bump but for the sake of posterity, or whatever — maybe some other nice chaps have a similar dilemma in the future — I thought I may as well give the update.

In January I had one day of training with a nearby school, who were fantastic. I think it cost £130. I asked for training for Mod 1, but after my instructor was happy with my Mod 1 we also did a good three hours of training on the road for Mod 2. I was probably right that I didn't need much training, but that little extra was vital in my opinion. I was certainly making mistakes that he identified and summarized in our first half hour of riding, and then hammered in the corrections. It was stuff like road positioning at junctions and roundabouts and changing up the gears too early.

It was the Mod 1 stuff that was most useful. You just don't do that sort strict, controlled of exercises in everyday riding. You're not used to that environment. You don't know how sharp that cornering exercise is, you probably don't know how much you have to accelerate to get from cornering speed up the speed they need to see past the speed trap (tip: it's lots), and so on. We only spent an hour doing the course but I don't think I'd have passed without it. Afterwards, when I knew exactly what the test was, I could do practice specific to what was needed on the test (eg. trying to take tight corners faster, etc). I practised once at night in an empty business estate that had plenty of tarmacked space.

During the training the instructor pointed out that my front wheel was slightly buckled. He noticed it as he was standing facing my bike for the emergency stop exercise, and he saw the wheel looked like it was shaking. My Mod 1 was in two days, no time to cancel nor to get it fixed, so I took my Mod 1 with a buckled front wheel and passed with no faults. I got the wheel fixed some days later.

I took Mod 2 three days before my CBT ran out, and you have to wait ten days before a retake, so I had one shot or was going to have to suffer more delays and costs. Thankfully I passed with one minor fault, for rear observation at a junction.

Similar to what I did except I got the full licence from taking the test on a 125.

I did 3 hours training, I didn't do any mod1 stuff at all but the mod 2 training really helped.

As you say mod 1 is tricky if you don't know what to expect.I'd never seen the course and I didn't get to speed on the first run of each manoeuvre.Just about scraped through in the end.

Pressure was on for me too because I only had time for one mod 2 before the law regarding passing on a 125 changed.

Congratulations anyhow.Its worth it for no more CBT's and to get rid of the L plates.

At least you'll know what to expect the next time.People say its not worth doing the A1 but imo its good experience and as you've passed there is no reason you cant pass on a bigger bike.