mod 1 and 2 in winter?

Well, after my euphoria on Tuesday of surviving Mod 1 without making a huge c*ck up of EVERYTHING-yes I failed on the swerve bit, felt quit happy even though I failed but then have felt FRUSTRATED since then, I am now waiting for another test date. However, would I be right in thinking that this time of year is Not the best time? I was frozen on Tuesday morning by the time I had got over to

Shrewsbury. I'm not getting a lot of time out on my little 125 and it's going to be pot luck with the weather from now on. Has anybody passed mod 1, mod 2 in winter. Would I be best now pending it all till spring? I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure. Would have been nice to end the year with my full licence though. Answers on a postcard please, or failing that, through this forum.

I trained in Feb and passed in March. Weather was a bit hit and miss but I figured if I learn to ride when its awful then I'd be more confident once I passed, rather than passing in glorious weather and being terrified at the first sign of rain.

Wrap up warm is all I can suggest! Aldi regularly do bike (both motor and pedal) thermals/underwear and the golfers wind breaker is pretty good too.

I passed mod2 on Friday and had the same concerns, I was lucky it was cold and overcast but quite dry, my friend had his test on the Thursday and it was a down pour and he unfortunalty failed. Just you luck with the weather at this time of the year but If its bad enough I think they cancel the tests anyway.

I did my MOD2 in the pissing rain and manic wind. I had actually called the test center before hand to see if they were still running sessions

Being under test conditions was the first time I'd ever rode through a flood and had to avoid a port-a-loo that had blown into the road (amongst other things).

I also got so wet that my fingers were like prawns for weeks afterwards. I actually wrote a post about it on here at the time, because even once they had died out, they were wrinkly. It was weird!

Aaanywho, I past just fine, I was just wet through and freezing.

all the way through my training leading up to it i had all sorts of weather, strong winds, heavy rain, very very cold tempratures. (this is back in 2011)

i did my mod1 in the middle of december, the examiner was going to cancel it if the ice didnt melt off the "course" but it did and all went well.

just make sure your warm so you can conentrate

Had to wait for the test area to defrost on my mod 1. Was sure I'd fail the ride there had been horrendous, scraping frozen fog off the visor while doing 80 on a dual carriageway type horrible. Passed was all worth it.

Mod 2 I did in torrential rain and my visor kept steaming even when open a little so I just opened it all the way and scrunched my eyes a bit due to the stinging rain. Passed that too. My crap eBay gloves leaked on this I weighed them when I finally got home they were almost 2KG's each due to all the water they had absorbed :shock:

I had been riding 125's in all weathers prior though. Still I think it's good to train and pass in Winter, when I was a squaddie we used to say "train hard, fight easy", so learn now at the worst and you'll be better for it.

I started my course on 7th dec last year, the frost kicked in a few days before i started my first session. The roads were greasy the whole time and even on my tests. I learnt the value of dressing apropriatly on the bike and learnt lean angles in non ideal conditions. I wore summer gloves to my mod 1 and its a half hour ride up the a1 to the test center so my hands were killing by the time i got there.

So unless its snowing i would say the winter is a great time to learn, as when you pass you have to be causious until spring and by the time the nice weather is here your confident,

Thanks for the comments, I've got a three hour lesson on Sunday and a rebook for mod 1 next week. Was sorta thinking I need as many odds stacked in my favour, ie, lovely warm sunny day, an examiner with attention deficit disorder and myopia, etc etc. I've sort of got a feeling I'm going to be one of those will forever be redoing their mod 1s...... :?

I can't believe I've missed your posts about this, I've just been and searched your posts because I thought, I hadn't seen anything from you for a while so I went to check if you'd been on. Good luck for next week and let's hope for nice weather so you don't have to think about that.

Didn't know whether to post this in this thread, or the Mod 1 experiences thread, anyway, I appear to have passed my Mod 1 this morning. Set out from Newcastle under Lyme at 7am this morning to

Shrewsbury. rainy, dark, windy. Lovely.

Start my mod 1 test, didn't put the bike in neutral when parking up, nerves. Course, then realised when I started to move it. Had to hold the clutch in whilst manoeuvring the bike. Very iffy and shaky but got the job done.

Examiner explained the next bit, (the slalom and fig of eight. ) deep breath. Bike wouldn't start. After nearly going into meltdown, and after two or three attempts, the examiner got on the bike-I must have knocked the kill switch during the handling.

Heart pounding now, 10 to the dozen, and bottom lip starting to tremble and thinking, well that's that over, I've failed.

Completed all the other manoeuvres without mishap, parked up, and told that I'd passed. Think I'm in shock, bit subdued reliving the pigs ear at the start. My instructor can't work me out-his happiest failer then his most miserable passer.

Going to make myself a brew, sit down, and have a good long hard talk with myself. :oops:

My nightmares involving yellow, blue and red cones are receding, I will never have to do a slalom under slow control ever again! Still not sure if snogging the examiner on hearing I'd passed was the right thing to do, but hey. Mod 2 in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for all the good wishes :-)))))