How am I supposed to tax a vehicle if the V5 isnt in my name

maccy

So the story goes, I have bought a car, picking it up Saturday, insurance is sorted and it has a valid MOT. However the car doesn't currently have tax.

Now as far as I'm aware, this doesn't even matter because the tax is no longer transferable. But what am I supposed to do come Saturday and I want to drive it away?

The car wouldn't be in my name yet because the dealership hasn't sent off the V5 and it takes the DVLA a million years to do anything.

So when I tax it, wouldn't it currently be taxed in the old keepers name, which would then be refunded back to the old keeper when the change of ownership is processed?

I'm confused and not seeing any logic in it. How would I tax it if the V5 isn't in my name yet, even though I'm the owner?

off .gov

To apply online you'll need either:

the 16 digit reference number on your vehicle tax renewal letter (V11)

the 11 digit reference number on your log book (V5C)

the 12 digit reference number on your New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) if you've just bought the vehicle

Cool, So when I pick it up, everything has been filled out. I could just go onto the government website on my phone and tax it that way?

anything else I would need to do once the V5 has arrived in my name?