Bike declared Cat C - advice please

Gray

Hi all,

So I was involved in an RTA over a month ago. Not my fault, a car pulled out of a side road into my path.

Damage to the bike was the clutch cover r/h side smashed causing all the oil to leak on the road and damage to the fairings and r/h indicator.

Still awaiting info regarding liability from the 3rd party insurers.

The bike is at home in my garage. I have declared SORN and it has no tax/MOT/insurance.

It has been assessed by independant garage and the insurance assessor. Both agree around £1000 for repairs (mainly due to the plastics) therefore declaring it beyond economical repair.

The assessor has valued it around £1730 including £105 for salvage (or thereabouts). As I've yet to hear regarding liability I have not done anything or agreed to anything with anyone!

When/if I get the money for the bike from the 3rd party does that mean they own the bike? If so how much should I offer to buy it back and is it worth the hassle for a Cat C? I had no intention of getting rid of it before the accident and have spent time and money on servicing/brakes etc

Been off the road now for over a month and want to get back out. I would like to get it repaired and on the road but do I have to wait now for the insurance to sort it all out or can I repair it if I want? If I repair it now at my own cost and get it back on the road how would this affect any payout I would get from the 3rd party? I'm not bothering with the plastics just the clutch cover and indicator. As mentioned above it is still legally my bike at the moment.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Graham

yes.. the moment you agree to the settlement they will arrange to collect the bike.. its no longer your property. they will want all keys and the V5.

if you want to buy the bike back.. I'm not entirely sure they're open to offers.. it will be given a value and they will sell it for that. or send it to auction.

you are obviously free to repair it yourself.. at your own expense. but.. if the claim proceeds to a settlement. it still wont belong to you.

btw.. looks to my inexperienced (with this particular bike) eyes like a very good offer.. I would be inclined to take it and go bike shopping. Theres a very nice looking 2005 model on eBay now.. for about the same amount of money.

Thanks, I'll leave it as is then.

I'm itching to get back on the road and looking at the bike in the garage makes me more eager.

Hopefully I'll get my money before the end of the year and buy something else.

The assessor has valued it around £1730 including £105 for salvage (or thereabouts). As I've yet to hear regarding liability I have not done anything or agreed to anything with anyone!

Graham

Seems perfectly straighforward to me... offer to buy the salvage at the assessed value - £105

Sorry my last answer was short a better attempt

Still awaiting info regarding liability from the 3rd party insurers.

It has been assessed by independant garage and the insurance assessor. Both agree around £1000 for repairs (mainly due to the plastics) therefore declaring it beyond economical repair.

1st - If the third party insurer has accepted that CAT C then I'd assume they are moving on with the claim, if liability is still in limbo I don't think they'd be pricing stuff up.

If the accident was straight forward then liability should be sorted quickly. What have they said specifically..... phone them every day, if you don't they will hope you just go away and drag it all out.

When/if I get the money for the bike from the 3rd party does that mean they own the bike? If so how much should I offer to buy it back and is it worth the hassle for a Cat C? I had no intention of getting rid of it before the accident and have spent time and money on servicing/brakes etc

If it is as you described it's worth fixing up. I very much doubt they will actually sell you it at £105 salvage value though even as a CAT C it's worth more than that. You arrange buying it before they cut a cheque, so if for example they offer you £1500 for the bike and offer to sell you the wreck for £350 then they send you a cheque for £1150.

Been off the road now for over a month and want to get back out. I would like to get it repaired and on the road but do I have to wait now for the insurance to sort it all out or can I repair it if I want? If I repair it now at my own cost and get it back on the road how would this affect any payout I would get from the 3rd party? I'm not bothering with the plastics just the clutch cover and indicator. As mentioned above it is still legally my bike at the moment.

Leave it until the claim is settled. If you fix it up now and they don't sell it to you then you fixed it for them. Also who arranged the assessor? If it wasn't them they may want to assess it themselves (your assessors £ figures seem to value the bike very highly, while valuing the salvage at peanuts).

If you want to ride demand a hire bike from them till the claim is settled (though this comes with its own minefield of pitfalls). Pester them continuously to get it settled. If you are fully comp insured tell them if they don't settle fast you will go through your insurer (who will send them an inflated bill) that can make them pull their fingers out.

If liability is still in question at this point I'd be looking at solicitors.