Backpacks

Does anyone use a backpack whilst riding?

Im currently using an old karrimor i think it is but its difficult to get on and off with leather jacket on, its as if the arm straps arent long enough to give enough space to get my arms through.

I have found a site called Kreiga who make motorbike specific bags which i assume address the above problem. Just wondering what other options there are or if anyone has a Kreiga bag they can give me an opinion on.

It will generally be used for short trips to the office or the gym, so big enough to carry shoes, clothes and maybes a bit food.

I use an ocean pro one when I take the bike to my workshop. I often wear it over my bulky Hein Gericke jacket. As Phil states loosen one of the adjusters full out and it is easy to put your arm through then snitch it up once it's on. :wink:

I have an OGIO... the Mach 5 variant. not cheap.. but I really like it. its exceptionally comfortable.. I used it on my tour to slovenia back in may. worn every day and it was never a pain.

the mach 3 is more affordable.

">
for an irritating american review.

it has a hard outer shell... and is streamlined. when worn theres more than a hint of ninja turtle - but thats a small price to pay. mine has a holder for a spare visor. can take a pair of shoes.. even my clod hoppers. iPad. and loads of other unnecessary crap that I thought I needed.. but actually didn't.

In an off.. it can act somewhat as a back protector... though its not designed with that in mind. its probably not tough enough for a really bad impact.. but, if like most people you tumble... its not going to do you more harm than good.

by the way.. i do worry about soft backpacks.. particularly if carrying anything hard and pointy. if I was in that position - I wouldn't want to wear it. instead I would carry it on the pillion area secured with a cargo net.. carrying soft stuff. like spare gloves... or flat items. like an iPad. less of a worry.

I have the adjusters fully unwound bit its still a pain. Must just be my big arms lol i wish.

What we need is for one of the arm straps to unclip into 2 halves like they have across the chest sometimes. Then just slip one arm in and clip the other around the remaining arm. brb going on dragons den with new idea lol.

I did see the ogio, they look really cool. Only thing that put me off was a mate has one and complains that it sits too low on his back? Surely this is just a case of adjustment though.

I'm with Joeman on this one...

Backpacks are okay for carrying sarnies to work but if I've got a bit of weight in it or have to do a good few miles then it gets bungeed to the pillion seat.

Tank bags are a nightmare on a sports bike. I have one. Hate using it.

If the backpack is uncomfortable, I simply bungee it to the back.

I've done this with my 50L hiking pack and it's fine :)

I've used an Oxford tankbag on 2 euro tours. Very handy for displaying a map and storing the essentials.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/Germany%202013/036.jpg

can you see the map as you're riding along? Mine is too high for me to see. I have to take my hands off the bars and sit up to be able to read the map!

I've used an Oxford tankbag on 2 euro tours. Very handy for displaying a map and storing the essentials.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/Germany%202013/036.jpg

That ain't no tank "bag"... that's a tank wallet haha.

can you see the map as you're riding along? Mine is too high for me to see. I have to take my hands off the bars and sit up to be able to read the map!

I recommend super-glue'ing a mount to your wind shield for your phone/gps :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an alternative to a rucksack, I can highly recommend the SW-Motech tank bags http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Motorcycle-Tank-Bags.html and for a little more carrying capacity, the Ventura tailback is excellent http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/products/seatbag.aspx Both are my standard luggage for touring and have served me so well, even for a three-week jaunt across the Pyrenees and back. They are excellent quality too.

• 1 month later...

I just keep a waterproof bag under the seat, and then stick backpack in the waterproof bag tied down to back seat. Waterproof, and no weight on back etc. Bit of a pain taking it in and out of the waterproof bag, but small price to pay when your carrying a laptop around and stuff getting wet would be an issue.

Had a top box on a few bikes, was good, but I always tended to put too much stuff in it, so I have panniers now. More or less sorted my storage issues.