STORAGE

levante

This may seem like a strange question. I'm looking at building a motorbike housing for production and aim to target the average bike you'd find in a dealership,no Harleys, Goldwings or big cruisers just sports,tourers and cross bikes. What would you say the max length, width, height from floor to top of mirrors and front wheel dimentions would be....thanks in anticipation.

removed.. cause it was completely wrong. my bad for not paying attention.

for bike storage. 9X4 9X5 9X6 (in feet) should cover most size bikes. and for the larger sizes.. allow some extra storage.

Edited by Anonymous

first.. you really would be well advised to contact your local planning office at the council. find out what you can do without need for permission. before taking it further.

they will tell you about height. distance from the boundary, usage and so on.

would be awful.. if not financially disastrous if you built something. somebody complained and you had to tear it down.

he isnt planning on making himself one he is producing them for sale

It wasn't entirely bad advice.. It worth investigating what sizes youre allowed for these types of thing to ensure the people buying them Dont get into trouble with the local planning office.

No point making something if people need planning permission to use it!!

It wasn't entirely bad advice.. It worth investigating what sizes youre allowed for these types of thing to ensure the people buying them Dont get into trouble with the local planning office.

as long as its not over 2m tall :wink:

as long as its not over 2m tall :wink:

Seem to remember someone on the forum being ordered by the council to remove a bike store they had on their driveway.. Think the rules are based on where the storage is placed as well as it's size.

Seem to remember someone on the forum being ordered by the council to remove a bike store they had on their driveway.. Think the rules are based on where the storage is placed as well as it's size.

private landlord I believe :?

and in like a block of flats with shared space

Can the council make you take down non perminant structures then, i always thought something like a shed ect was fair game within reason

yes they can make you take it down.. if its to the side or forward of the front elevation of your house its not allowed...

The question is, would a bike cover be classed as an "Out Building"??

Imagine if everyone erected sheds in their front gardens!! lol

there are also rule governing the height and how close it can be to the boundary, for instance. If I wanted a garage it would have to go at the side of my house.. but cannot be less than 1 metre from the boundary. this for a temporary structure.. a glorified shed. I asked about this a couple of years ago.. I wanted a shed a little over 2 metres tall - so I could stand up in it. I forget what the maximum allowed was. but the key phrase was anything over 2 metres must be at least 2 metres from the boundary - if built as a side extension then those rules don't apply. but obviously I would need permission and no objections from my neighbours. I'm still umming and aahing.

there are also rule governing the height and how close it can be to the boundary, for instance. If I wanted a garage it would have to go at the side of my house.. but cannot be less than 1 metre from the boundary. this for a temporary structure.. a glorified shed. I asked about this a couple of years ago.. I wanted a shed a little over 2 metres tall - so I could stand up in it. I forget what the maximum allowed was. but the key phrase was anything over 2 metres must be at least 1 metre from the boundary - if built as a side extension then those rules don't apply. but obviously I would need permission and no objections from my neighbours. I'm still umming and aahing.

Take a look at this miniguide...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... /miniguide

I have some building work going on at the moment, so i've spent the last year dealing with planning applications, architects and building control etc... its a right pain in the arse to be honest!!

Given the sheer number of them on the roads (nice big target market right there) and the fact that they're pretty big buggers, this might be a good reference point:

http://andyw-inuk.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/R1200GS-BMW-Motorcycle-Photo/R1200GS-Schematics-Diagrams/i-6KX6PmM/2/L/r1200gs_04to07_measurements-L.jpg

Given the sheer number of them on the roads (nice big target market right there) and the fact that they're pretty big buggers, this might be a good reference point:

http://andyw-inuk.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/R1200GS-BMW-Motorcycle-Photo/R1200GS-Schematics-Diagrams/i-6KX6PmM/2/L/r1200gs_04to07_measurements-L.jpg

although most with an R12000GS would have a garage to keep it in... they dont want them getting wet!

;)

Hmm, good point - didn't really think of that. It's a tough one, the more you think about it. Could go really crazy with trying to collect statistics trying to correlate garage ownership and type of bike owned... Makes my mind start racing :lol:

I suppose the best bet is just to work out which is the biggest of the ~600cc low cost workhorses and cater to that. I think adventure bikes are still probably the ones to make allowances for, pretty big buggers on the whole and popular enough that you wouldn't want to miss that market. Work around the measurements for a DL650 maybe?

Its not straightforward.. the length is easy. the difficulty come with the width and to an extent - the height, bikes with no centre stand will lean and the rider needs the space to lean the bike over, secure it in place and then be able to get out of the unit easily. Unless the top of the unit cantilevers like the example posted earlier - so it can in effect be a glorified crate. you will need it to be at least twice the maximum width of the bike. so for the GS which is just over 3ft wide.. the width would probably need to be around 6ft. more if the owners desires a little more elbow room.

so.. with a GS being a smidge over 7ft in length - to allow for the centre stand to be used, I would want a unit 9ft in length. at least 6ft wide.. and 6ft tall. this assuming your average owner is comfortable walking the bike in. which isn't always the case. some would only be happy with riding the bike in.

integrate a front wheel support and the bike could be stored upright, rather than leaned over on the side stand. also gives something to lock the front wheel to.

having the bike upright would reduce the width requirement.

Something like this then mate..... :wink:

no mate

For all of the useful comments...thank you. My idea is similar to the lift top crate already highlighted. I only need the bike dimentions as the front wheel will be in a secure housing and no stand will be used.

Many thanks :cheers:

Maybe back wheel first? I mean if your gonna have a front wheel dock, doesn't that inhibit you putting the steering lock on? And docking with the steering lock on could be a pain if it's a snug fit?

Just a thought.