Disposing of fuel

NearOn

I never realised how difficult it is to dispose of old fuel. I have two Jerry cans of contaminated petrol and some diesel in another can I wanted to get rid of today as clearing up the garage. The local recycling centre turned me away and only option seems to be pay a company to collect or burn it myself (knowing that's pretty dangerous) which just surprised me a bit.

Disposing of fuel can be a nightmare I bought a boat with a jerry can of old hmmmm fuel. Well "petrol" smelling stuff.

I tried burning it but it would not ignite! It was old. The local recycling where not interested. The fire brigade where not either the council would not take it.

I tried putting it waste oil at the tip, that is only for oil. Not petrol not diesel and if they know the oil is contaminated they will not take that either.

In the end I went to a local marina one morning and poured it in there waste oil container. Later that day the recycling people when i dropped by the empty container where not happy when I would not tell them how I disposed of the oil.

Diesel won't ignite unless it's compressed...

With petrol I've burnt it off, easy peasy.

Diesel is a bit trickier, you could just mix it with old engine oil and dispose of it that way. Diesel is after all a product of oil.

I may have once had the same issue... But what I did, while not quite pouring it down the drain probably tickled a few boundaries :oops:

I never realised how difficult it is to dispose of old fuel. I have two Jerry cans of contaminated petrol and some diesel in another can I wanted to get rid of today as clearing up the garage.

I'd use it. Slowly if badly contaminated. But I'd definitely use it.

Or here's a tip from another forum....

Make a massive spud gun.

Some drainpipe, a roll of duct tape, a steel box and a spark plug attached to a battery mounted somewhere on the side of the box, then just add petrol and several potatoes. 

Its still sat in the garage since I tried to get shot of it. I want to keep the cans though. No wonder it ends up in the household waste or down a drain when is so difficult to get rid of.