Rear brake pads

Glorian

My rear brake pads apparently need changing. now i can pay £20 have this done at the garage which im visitng saturday anyway so they can change my sensor. Or i can do it myself. My mechanical skills are average at best. I have most tools i could likely need and a haynes manual.

Should i do this myself or just pay the money and save the hassle.

Tom, it's a real easy Job - you should try and attempt it yourself. for 30mins of your time you could be done and dusted, pads, oil changes and plus are the staple knowledge that will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Unless the rear caliper has been regularly cleaned and maintained you could be looking at a bit more than £20. The caliper pins are prone to seizing on the bandit (I have the same caliper set up on my gsx) and can be a pig to get out! It's best to start learning to do these basic things yourself which will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Gotta say, I've experienced a seized rear caliper on a bandit from a 2007 model with barely any miles on it... It came apart in the end but boy what a hassle it was.

Cover all the bits around the bolts with rags and give them some WD40. Let them soak for a while, and then attempt it delicately. If bolts show any sign of rounding off give up and hand it to a garage as if you're using the bike a lot it's probably not best to learn the art of removing seized bolts right now :lol:

Theres an art to it? i thought it was "f**k it up then sit on the floor crying and contemplating your life choices" ? :D

It's good to know the young ones are learning... That's the first lesson in dealing with a seized bolt :cheers:

Theres an art to it? i thought it was "f**k it up then sit on the floor crying and contemplating your life choices" ? :D

It's good to know the young ones are learning... That's the first lesson in dealing with a seized bolt :cheers:

Is the second lesson whiskey? Lots and lots of whiskey.

Honda CB's are also prone to seizing up. I find calipers a pain in the bum, replacing seals and stuff, and it can get pricey too. I do my own brakes but only because I'm tight! Get yourself a piston wind back tool, they cost about a tenner and makes the job a hell of a lot easier and quicker.