Teef related advice...but only cos I care! :D

BikerMooFromMars

Just a dental nurse-tastic reminder to all the lovely peeps on TMBF - when you eat olives, dates and other fruits with stones, take *so much care*, bite down carefully every time, even if they aren't meant to have stones inside - even if they are in a salad/sarnie etc. Had a poor guy in yesterday who ate what he thought was a stoneless date, split his upper right premolar on it :shock: . Second time I've seen this happen now, the first was on an olive stone. It's a costly mistake either financially or to the adjacent teeth as he will need an implant or a bridge...(£2500 or NHS band 3 treatment £219...or other private bridge options costing up to £750).

...this isn't my picture unfortunately, don't think I'm allowed to ask patients if I can take pics of their teef! - wish I could though :mrgreen:

1616713538_crackedtooth.jpg.6714e835f3810dad4d851ad40f64d514.jpg

Makes me cringe, seeing that. Just renewed my relationship with dentist after a 10 year absence, I'm ashamed to admit. No reason really, just thought it'd be wise. Thought my teeth were tip top, tbh. Got there and got torn a new one!!!

Bit of superglue and a g-clamp to hold it together and he'll be sorted ;)

I hope your mrs keeps you clear of the lil one :shock:

Aside from your business skills, that little one could learn how to make losing teeth into a growing business with the right encouragement :lol:

After 5 years of being clear of a dentist, I have been booked in by Moo... Teeth are fine but could do with a bit of a polish... She gets to see my aversion to high pitched noises up close.

Makes me cringe, seeing that. Just renewed my relationship with dentist after a 10 year absence, I'm ashamed to admit. No reason really, just thought it'd be wise. Thought my teeth were tip top, tbh. Got there and got torn a new one!!!

Don't be ashamed, at least you're going 8-)

Got torn a new one? Many people don't realise they have gum disease/decay - you just know it's got really bad generally when it starts hurting unfortunately! Getting it sorted before it becomes a big issue will be worth it!

Bit of superglue and a g-clamp to hold it together and he'll be sorted ;)

Hahaha, if only!

After 5 years of being clear of a dentist, I have been booked in by Moo... Teeth are fine but could do with a bit of a polish... She gets to see my aversion to high pitched noises up close.

Oh yesh - I'mma take a before and after picture too! It's the ultrasonic scaler that makes the noise, not the polisher :mrgreen: also, imagine having to listen to that b*stard thing every day! :lol: And the annoying thing is *I* never get to have one myself - we're too friggin busy! And I still need 2 fillings done! :cry: ...need to hassle my dentist more...

I was thinking Araldite myself :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Something like a split molar would be the least of my dental worries!

When I was a young 'un, my diet was pretty much pizza, mars bars and diet coke; I used to smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish and I didn't brush my teeth nearly enough.

The result is that 20 years later; I am missing 4 teeth; I have badly receded gums; I have sensitive teeth; two of my molars are dead; one was root filled, then cracked and fell to bits so now I've got a crown; the other dead one isn't long for this world; most of the rest of my teeth have fillings; and some of my fillings are so old that they're beginning to leak and are having to be gradually replaced.

Something like a split molar would be the least of my dental worries!

When I was a young 'un, my diet was pretty much pizza, mars bars and diet coke; I used to smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish and I didn't brush my teeth nearly enough.

The result is that 20 years later; I am missing 4 teeth; I have badly receded gums; I have sensitive teeth; two of my molars are dead; one was root filled, then cracked and fell to bits so now I've got a crown; the other dead one isn't long for this world; most of the rest of my teeth have fillings; and some of my fillings are so old that they're beginning to leak and are having to be gradually replaced.

:( There wasn't enough dental education a long time ago, and tbf there isn't today either. Dentists don't get enough time to educate patients properly thanks to NHS making us farm patients in and out to meet quotas (we usually run late cos the dentist I work for makes the effort to explain how to improve oral health, cleans the patient's teeth, xrays, etc). I plan to go into oral health education - I'm going to ask my manager next week if I can go on the course in January - it's expensive but I'll pay for it myself if they won't. I want to help people whatever age.

Keep your regular dental appointments to catch anything before it worsens and I highly recommend seeing a hygienist to keep your teef and gums super healthy :thumb: - costs £40-ish per session but worth every penny. Also if you have receded gums don't brush them hard, brush gently with a medium bristle brush.

Btw, this is the sort of magic a hygienist can do (sorry if people think the pic is gross, but I think it's amaaazing!) :mrgreen: ;

1251035433_Seethehygienist!.jpg.c256274c017c78d4ae071e275410fde5.jpg

Good advice. Many years ago I broke a tooth on a burger of all things. It wasn't frozen or anything, just bit into it and thought "WTF is that"... :tumble:

That'd be a bit of underlying decay you didn't know about - anything can fracture a tooth that's partially hollow (the decay destroys the cementum under the enamel). It wouldn't have been like the vertical fracture I described/in the picture though - I'm sure a filling woulda fixed it 8-)

The mooolars can be a hell of a thing to go wrong, thanks for the advice, especially since olives are the staple diet here.

On a side note, there are loads of Scandanavian dentists here and when I asked one why, he told me that the cost of dental care in countries such as Norway was just above 'Whaaa how much????' So it is cheaper for those Vikings to fly out to Spain, have their teeth seen to while on holiday and get drunk every night.

I am halfway there, just need the teeth bit. :cheers:

I am having a mare with my dentist.

I have been NHS at my dentist for years. A while ago I had to have root canal treatment. This was in a tooth which is basically a filling with a bit of tooth round it. At the time my dentist said we can take the tooth out for you or try to save it with fillings. I said leave it in and try to save it.

Any way my dentist has now retired and I have a new one. He is fresh out of dentist school and the impression I have is that he just wants me to spend lots of money on my teeth. My first check up with him ending with him saying i have a bit of decay under a filling in my tooth and it would be a good idea to have crown fitted. I said what happens if we leave it. To which he replied well we will end up having to pull the tooth out if it gets worse. But then a couple of weeks ago the filling dropped out of my tooth and I went down for an emergency filling. He then said after sticking the filler in my tooth that I need to decide what to do with my tooth.

I said well what are my options. to which he replied a crown which is guaranteed for a year at £250. Or a new style of crown which is guaranteed for 3 years at £350. I said well can't you just pull the tooth out. To which he replied he can't unless its either crumbling away ( which my tooth is) is causing me constant pain and is in effect unsavable. I said well if I leave it it will break and then need pulling out anyway. So thats my plan. I refuse to spend any more money on trying to save a tooth which is f***ed. My old dentist would always give me a scale and polish when I had a check up. But this new guy wants me to go to the hygienist and get her to do it at £35 a pop. F***ing money grabbing barsteward.

I am having a mare with my dentist.

I have been NHS at my dentist for years. A while ago I had to have root canal treatment. This was in a tooth which is basically a filling with a bit of tooth round it. At the time my dentist said we can take the tooth out for you or try to save it with fillings. I said leave it in and try to save it.

Any way my dentist has now retired and I have a new one. He is fresh out of dentist school and the impression I have is that he just wants me to spend lots of money on my teeth. My first check up with him ending with him saying i have a bit of decay under a filling in my tooth and it would be a good idea to have crown fitted. I said what happens if we leave it. To which he replied well we will end up having to pull the tooth out if it gets worse. But then a couple of weeks ago the filling dropped out of my tooth and I went down for an emergency filling. He then said after sticking the filler in my tooth that I need to decide what to do with my tooth.

I said well what are my options. to which he replied a crown which is guaranteed for a year at £250. Or a new style of crown which is guaranteed for 3 years at £350. I said well can't you just pull the tooth out. To which he replied he can't unless its either crumbling away ( which my tooth is) is causing me constant pain and is in effect unsavable. I said well if I leave it it will break and then need pulling out anyway. So thats my plan. I refuse to spend any more money on trying to save a tooth which is f***ed. My old dentist would always give me a scale and polish when I had a check up. But this new guy wants me to go to the hygienist and get her to do it at £35 a pop. F***ing money grabbing barsteward.

One word.

'Denplan'

I went private years ago and pay £20 a month and have had hundreds, probably thousands of pounds of work done and I don't pay a penny when I go in. I have to have hygienist every 3 months due to my diabetes so that's paid for half my monthly fee. Two root canals last year, each one the equivalent of about 5-6 visits for a filling. I reckon I am quids in. Any issues, just have an x ray, I get nice white fillings which are more expensive, and as a result my teeth are now excellent and I am a brushing and flossing nut.

I got in trouble at work this week cos I told someone ever so nicely that they needed to brush their teeth, after all I could smell their breath from 5 feet away which I think is a bit excessive and it was putting me off my food! It didn't go down very well unfortunately. I would rather someone told me if my breath was bad, it's horrible, although I am a bit sensitive about it after years working in a sainsburys petrol station and having people come in at 5am breathing their breakfast breath over me, YUCK!

I got in trouble at work this week cos I told someone ever so nicely that they needed to brush their teeth, after all I could smell their breath from 5 feet away which I think is a bit excessive and it was putting me off my food! It didn't go down very well unfortunately. I would rather someone told me if my breath was bad, it's horrible, although I am a bit sensitive about it after years working in a sainsburys petrol station and having people come in at 5am breathing their breakfast breath over me, YUCK!

And the ones that then get pissy and say "But I DID brush"...

Best reply is: With what? Dog shit?

If you have to talk to them again though, maybe suggest they floss and smell what comes out from between their teeth. And if the gums bleed there's an issue.

Will see them right.

• 2 weeks later...

Been dental phobic for years due to the minority bad dentist I got who was a butcher. Seem to have finally found someone who knows how to deal with a badly phobic patient and I'm getting there. Although my mouth is a total state now, and I'll hold my hand up that I has been my fault for not looking after them as well as I should. Can finally say I go to the dentist with only a minor panic attack :)

My niece has just got a job as a dental nurse and should start training proper in the next while. I can understand the satisfaction to be had making people's smiles more beautiful. A British stereotype is that we have bad, crooked, stained teeth.

I need advice from the resident tooth fairy, how do I care for the gaping hole left after having a wisdom tooth removed, dentist said to wash my mouth with salt water after eating, or drinking anything other than water. How long should I keep this up for? Hope I can stop soon because its rank.