Broken My Leg :(

Rik398

Not on the bike. Literally the slightest slip down the stairs, but was holding my son and so couldn't let him fall. Focussed on that rather than grabbing banister and yeah... broken in 2 places. in a cast at the moment and may need plates depending on X ray results in a weeks time.

First, I know recovery time is very dependant on person etc etc, but does anyone have any experience of how long it will realistically be before I can get back on the bike? (left leg, so the gear one :()

Second, I am sort of in the job hunting game to get a feel of what else is out there other than teaching. Had to go to one the day after the break as it was previously arranged. Think they are after someone quickly so busted leg is probably a disadvantage for me. Though they seemed impressed that I came in lol.

Do you think there is no point still trying to get interviews while it's broken? Or just keep going? Not really sure what people would think, either think I am keen and determined, or just be practical and wonder why they should hire the guy with the broken leg over a currently able person. It is all office work mind...

So yeah just a few opinions would be helpful. :)

Keep up with the job hunting. Worst that happens is they say no which is no worse than if you didn't try.

Not bust a leg but did fracture my elbow recently and mangled my spine earlier in the year. I was back riding in 2 weeks out of necessity with the elbow, it hurt like hell if I had another option I would have taken longer off the bike. So unless the bike is your only transport I'd take as long off as the Doc's recommend.

Whatever you do get well soon

I've fractured and broken bones in that area, it will take about 6 weeks before the bone has set, possibly longer... Probably going to be 3 months before you can hop back on a bike! Even then, the area will be weak for a few more months.

Sorry if that's bad news, but I hope you get better fast! :)

Around 4 weeks i would say, the cast will ususally be on for that long on a leg to gaurentee the healing process, once its off you could feel good as new or a little tender.

What kind of jobs you applying for are they active?

Keep job hunting, and when asked in interviews about your leg just say "ah its nothing, just a little inconvenient at the moment, but its not stopping me from doing anything I need to".

That way the interviewer will get the idea that you fight on regardless of what problems you encounter instead of giving up and sitting home watching TV.

Use it to your advantage ;)

Mostly office jobs. Analyst positions really. Had an interview with Triumph as a business analyst and though I didn't get it, likes the sound of what it was all about so yeah. Having a gander lol.

Hopefully not 3 months! Bandit will have corroded to nothing being stood still in the winter for that long :/. May need to get some acf50 going.

And yeah... looks nasty. problem is it just doesn't hurt that much so I almost forget about it and then realise that it is actually fairly bad news.

I find out about needing plates next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chat with consultant.

Broken both sides, but on one of the sides it is a small fracture, so no pins luckily, as they got lucky when the cast was put on and it is sitting in a decent position.

Having cast off on new years eve. Allowed to put small weight on it, so trying that as much as possible without over-doing it.

Got a job... and am going to accept it. had interview day after the break. ;)

May get some motocross boots or something, should be on the bike again soon, can stand on both feet now, but not walk obviously.

So yeah, not too bad. He said it was healing really fast. Going to be 5 weeks in cast for double break, could have been much worse.

Also means I will be out of cast before start date of new job, which is a bonus :)

Got a performance and reporting analyst job locally. Which I am very happy with as there is not much of that kind of thing going in my area so all good :)