Base Layers , you don't have to spend loads of money !

Guest Arrow

Base layers are vital for bikers in the cold weather and in over 30 years of motorcycling I have tried just about every make you can name , they usually have lots of fancy technical claims and fancy prices and in general they work ! .

For a set of bargain thermals however , you can't beat Marks and Spencer's range , two sets of long johns for £22.50 , an awful lot cheaper than your name brands and having worn them for the last 2 weeks in very cold weather I can hnestly say they perform excellently , are comfortable and easily washable as are the long sleeve and short sleeve tops .

If you don't have loads of money to spend and you want to stay warm I recommend you give these M and S products a try !

Might give them a go!

I love my Aldi ones - some motorbike specific, some general compression and wind breaker. Trouble is the nice ones are hand wash only, which is FAR too much hassle :oops:

about £15 they have them in a few weeks

I'll second the Aldi ones l brought some last weekend Ski undergarments with reinforced knee elbow and back support about a tenner each for top and the bottoms

There's loads. I have a golf windproof t shirt that's pretty good on top of a compression layer, really is windproof! The merino wool thermals were pretty expensive by comparison I think 16 pound each (top and bottoms seperate). Compression gear is good and although they do 'motorbike' gear, the golf, cycling and running stuff is all pretty much identical anyway so I just mix and match if it looks good or is reduced!

Base layers are vital for bikers in the cold weather and in over 30 years of motorcycling I have tried just about every make you can name , they usually have lots of fancy technical claims and fancy prices and in general they work ! .

For a set of bargain thermals however , you can't beat Marks and Spencer's range , two sets of long johns for £22.50 , an awful lot cheaper than your name brands and having worn them for the last 2 weeks in very cold weather I can hnestly say they perform excellently , are comfortable and easily washable as are the long sleeve and short sleeve tops .

If you don't have loads of money to spend and you want to stay warm I recommend you give these M and S products a try !

+1 to you good sir! I have been wearing M&S thermals since last winter (not during summer ...) they're so warm i dont feel even slightly cold when i get to work.

I have been wearing M&S thermals...

Ooh, get you with your M&S gear! :-)

I wear my old ski stuff from Mountain Warehouse. Nice and toasty BUT it's really easy to overheat a bit and because they're not very breathable, you end up stinking. :-(

As you say anything with Motorcycle in the title is 5 times the price.

Take a look here http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Workwea ... als/sd3336

and also http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Webtex-Tactic ... 4d0dbf258d

I can vouch for the webtex gear I have just bought my second shirt and am still on the first pair of leggings

Got mine from MATALAN.. prices range from £6 - £10. I particularly like the high neck zip micro fleece tops for winter.. and the cotton based types for summer. Which are excellent for keeping me comfortable in all temperatures. On days off from riding.. just pop the lot into a washing machine then drier on the campsite and Im good to go. means that for trips over a fortnight I only need pack clothes for 8 days and most importantly of all.. they pack down really small and are great for both on and off the bike.

I went and bought a set of tresspass bass layers today. In a sale £15 normally 40. Top and bottom, tried them on a 3 hour ride today although not the coldest it could be i must say where i would have normally been chilly as i was wearing my leathers which arnt the warmest, i had no problems today, just a chilly head from my vents.