Re-chroming costs

MarkW

Evening all.

I have my eye on a bike that looks as though it might make a great renovation project for those dull winter evenings, and I'm trying to guesstimate the costs for what needs doing before taking the plunge. One thing that is immediately apparent is that most (if not all) of the shiny bits will need to be re-chromed, and I have no idea what sort of dent this will put in the finances.

Realistically it's going to be Thursday morning before I get chance to hunt down some companies and ask for prices, so in the meantime I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of a steer.

Thanks very much!

Do I bollocks !!!

It was a long time ago, and I don't miss the constant nosebleeds from chromic acid vapour, or cleaning metals with acid that stinks like 10000 farts. :lol:

Plus sodium cyanide (zinc plating) and the other extremely hazardous stuff.

Do I bollocks !!!

It was a long time ago, and I don't miss the constant nosebleeds from chromic acid vapour, or cleaning metals with acid that stinks like 10000 farts. :lol:

Plus sodium cyanide (zinc plating) and the other extremely hazardous stuff.

Don't be a wuss, just pop down to B&Q for a few dust masks and some tissue thin overalls and you're all set.

Says "Chrome look" on the advert.

Wonder what sort of stuff they use, as I used to work in electroplating and the chemicals were extremely poisonous and corrosive. :?

The photo gallery results look impressive though.

So do you reckon it's worth a go? I don't know anything about this to be honest (the last electroplating I did was at school with a beaker of copper sulphate solution and a graphite rod) but I could imagine that it might give a thin shiny cosmetic layer that doesn't stand up to as much wear and tear as a professional job.

If you think it's worth trying I'll give it a go - working in the pesticide industry there's very little in our lab that won't kill you, so we're well used to dealing with chemical and biological nasties :)

Says "Chrome look" on the advert.

Wonder what sort of stuff they use, as I used to work in electroplating and the chemicals were extremely poisonous and corrosive. :?

The photo gallery results look impressive though.

So do you reckon it's worth a go? I don't know anything about this to be honest (the last electroplating I did was at school with a beaker of copper sulphate solution and a graphite rod) but I could imagine that it might give a thin shiny cosmetic layer that doesn't stand up to as much wear and tear as a professional job.

If you think it's worth trying I'll give it a go - working in the pesticide industry there's very little in our lab that won't kill you, so we're well used to dealing with chemical and biological nasties :)

I had a read of the site earlier and as long as you're prepared to put the graft in, the results look good. As with any surface refinishing, you'll get out what you put in. Any pitting will need to be knocked back and filled with metallised putty or similar, then copper plate and finally chrome. Looks worth it for a restorer and got to be cheaper than sending stuff away.

What are you looking at re-chroming ? if it's a rusty mudguard that I reckon it would be tough, solid lumps of metal would be a whole lot easier to work with. You'd have to completely get rid of rust.