"sports" cars ...

XmisterIS

I was going to post this in NOTD, but on reflection, I just thought, "Ah! Bless!"

Coming up behind a so-called "sports" car in the outside lane at a red traffic light on a dual carriageway out of Bournemouth at the weekend, where it goes from 40mph to nat speed limit. (Mazda something-or-other, not that I care). I go to filter round him, he clocks me in his mirror, deliberately closes the gap and sits there eyeballing me.

Cue the lights turning green and he *floors* it. I really do mean ***floors*** it. Engine screaming, redlining in every gear before changing up, etc.

Cue me on my lil' ol' SV650, nothin' special, so I just sit a casual distance behind him, ensuring that my headlight is in his mirror. Occasionally, I wave to him to let him know, "Yup, I'm still here and nope, your stupid car isn't as fast as you think". Eventually he pulls over to the left lane and allows me to overtake.

Cue him catching me up at the next set of lights. I wave and give him the thumbs up and a nod. He won't even look at me. It was a shame, because I wanted to tell him that if he really wants to out-accelerate a motorcycle, then he needs to get himself a real performance car, not a hairdresser's car!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Haha.

Most stuff on the street won't touch a decent bike.

But most drivers know nothing about bikes, therefore they'll still give it a go.

I love fast cars, but Bikes give so much bang for the buck. A bike you can pick up for a couple of grand will thrash anything bar another fast bike, a supercar, or some tuned up sports car that's had thousands of pounds dropped on it.

Cue him catching me up at the next set of lights. I wave and give him the thumbs up and a nod. He won't even look at me. It was a shame, because I wanted to tell him that if he really wants to out-accelerate a motorcycle, then he needs to get himself a real performance car, not a hairdresser's car!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Forget a car get a bike! =D

Gotta pick ya fights though.

I once tried to take on a 911 when I had my Thundercat. I had him... For a few seconds.

Then he flew past me like I was standing still, haha.

I remember being out on the SP-1 and this red thing hammering up behind me. Turned off onto an old disused runway and nailed the bike, I only started to lose the car at about 155 (on my speedo), this thing was 'kin fast. Still have no idea what it was but it was covered in carbon bits and had a massive DTM style spoiler on the back. The guy caught up to me at the next roundabout (after I'd rejoined the road from the old disused runway) with the biggest cheesy grin ever, and giving me a thumbs up. Returned the thumbs up myself and was chuckling away in my helmet as I turned off. Credit where it's due, whatever it was, it was mental. :)

I was having a bit of a hoon around the other day and come up against an r6 at a set of lights who was in a bit of a hurry, couldnt resist lighting up all four wheels on launch control leaving him still slipping the clutch.

And he jumped the light the cheeky bugger

We've all done it I'm sure but the funniest example for me was back in the mid 90's when I was at Rykas (Boxhill) one Sunday afternoon. A fella in a Sierra Cosworth turned up and offered a race claiming he would win as he had spent £20k on the engine and that it would smoke any bike in the car park. A young lad on a FZR400R dressed in a paddock jacket, ripped jeans and trainers piped up and said 'I'll give you a race'. Long story short, they both set off and raced off up the A24. About 30 minutes later the lad on the FZR arrived and told everybody that the Cosworth had blown up about 5 miles away trying to keep up with him on some twisties. We never saw the Cosworth guy again :mrgreen:

I remember about 10 Years ago having a good blast with a then new 911 Turbo, I was on a Fireblade, got the better of him on a long air strip but he beeped and gave me the thumbs up when we went our separate ways.

I've had a couple of 'quick' cars and can say in the whole bikes are faster than most things,apart from the super expensive and rare hyper cars and even then they're very close.

I appreciate fast cars but in the Home Counties there's no point having one most of the time.

Had a similar good experience back in the summer with a bloke in a Ferrari F40. I thought it was a replica until I saw he was keeping up with me!! Any my steering damper was set to soft to go any faster - my bars were flapping everywhere!!

We got to the roundabout and thumbs up from both of us. Big respect for him to own and F-40 and be prepared to give it a good thrashing not just keep it in bubble wrap in an air conditioned garage...

Are people still saying the private road/ runway thing? :roll:

A couple months ago I had a bit of a play with a Ferrari 599 while my girlfriend was pillion. The fun was cut short when I got punched in the back of the head, got a bollocking for it, turns out she went airborne on a few occasions.

surprisingly kept up until that moment.