Water in the tank!

Guest vecie78

Hi all,

I have been having problems with my Yamaha XJ S Diversion '00 when switching the petcock from normal to reserve petrol. The bike just started choking.

Now it is not working properly although there is lots of gas. I guessed some external elements were sitting in the bottom of the tank.

What I did was removing the tank and empting it completely.

Water.

Yes there was some transparent liquid and lots of it.

After refuelling the tank with clean petrol, The bike is not working neither. It starts but does not respond well at all.

Actually there is an electric noise (kind of buzz) when it starts (sometimes) and when I switch off (some other times); the volume is fairly high and which I have never heard before.

My question is, could have the fuel pump suffered some sort of damages?

Tomorrow I am going to remove the tank again and this time empty/check the bowls of the carbs. I will not go too farther with this job since I cannot sync the carbs afterwards.

Perhaps I could do without removing the carbs and just drain the bowls by unscrewing the drain plug? You reckon?

I think I can do this work I will try my best before considering taking my dear to a mechanic; I am not an expert but somehow knowledgeable and stubborn....fingers crossed :P

Perhaps I could do without removing the carbs and just drain the bowls by unscrewing the drain plug? You reckon?

I think that is a good idea - it's certainly what I'd do! :-)

You might need to do a few cycles of bowl draining, switching on so the pump works, drain, pump, etc, etc until fuel comes out. It's worth a pop before you take it all apart.

You might want to replace the fuel filter while you're there, if you have water in the tank, there may be other nasties which have clogged it up.