Big bike conversion done, Mod 1 test advice

Hi

I will be doing Mod 1 soon. I have some training this week and hope to do test next week. A couple of parts worry me. I'm not very strong and was hoping to get some advice on the manual handling bit. The other part that worries me probably unnecessary is the emergency stop and getting up to the required speed for it. Any advice welcome.

Shirl

Manual handling is all in the technique, get the bike upright properly and it'll be fine. You can take as long as you need.

The tarmac is very grippy on the test centres all you can do is open the throttle when you come off the corner. It's not hard to do but you do have to give a bit of welly

Overall the Mod 1 is trickier i think. As if you've been riding on a CBT mod 2 is just a more sensible ride out.

Manual handling - Keep bike straight, look as if you were on a real road (left and right as you exit and enter cones)

Slalom - Focus on the Cone ahead of the one you're driving towards

figure of 8 - Turn your head, as soon as you pass the middle crank your neck and turn the complete other direction the bike will naturally move that way. Keep high revs and play with the clutch.

Slow riding - Pretty easy just keep revs high and play with the clutch, Rear brake if going to fast.

U turn - Similar to figure of 8, do your checks then crank your head round and focus on the END don't look at the white line or you'll go over it. High revs, Rear brake IF going to quick.

Speed test - Easy just leave it in second and rev it to buggery

Emergency stop - Watch your speed don't go faster than you need to. Firmly pull the front and rear brakes but don't do it to hard, Doesn't matter (i don't think) if you stall though try not to =)

Hazard avoidance - I struggled with so i spent most time training this one, Just leave it in second again rev high and then push down on the handlebar to the right then left to swerve past the obstacle.

The speed test/hazard advoidance you get can take a second try on ONE of them if you're not going fast enough (31mph i believe)

Just relax. Do your shoulder checks WHENEVER you move and if you're not sure what to do just ask. Do not start the bike before he says to and shake his(or her) hand when you meet them, Give them a reason to think you're a top chap! :D

Overall the Mod 1 is trickier i think. As if you've been riding on a CBT mod 2 is just a more sensible ride out.

Manual handling - Keep bike straight, look as if you were on a real road (left and right as you exit and enter cones)

Slalom - Focus on the Cone ahead of the one you're driving towards

figure of 8 - Turn your head, as soon as you pass the middle crank your neck and turn the complete other direction the bike will naturally move that way. Keep high revs and play with the clutch.

Slow riding - Pretty easy just keep revs high and play with the clutch, Rear brake if going to fast.

U turn - Similar to figure of 8, do your checks then crank your head round and focus on the END don't look at the white line or you'll go over it. High revs, Rear brake IF going to quick.

Speed test - Easy just leave it in second and rev it to buggery

Emergency stop - Watch your speed don't go faster than you need to. Firmly pull the front and rear brakes but don't do it to hard, Doesn't matter (i don't think) if you stall though try not to =)

Hazard avoidance - I struggled with so i spent most time training this one, Just leave it in second again rev high and then push down on the handlebar to the right then left to swerve past the obstacle.

The speed test/hazard advoidance you get can take a second try on ONE of them if you're not going fast enough (31mph i believe)

Just relax. Do your shoulder checks WHENEVER you move and if you're not sure what to do just ask. Do not start the bike before he says to and shake his(or her) hand when you meet them, Give them a reason to think you're a top chap! :D

:stupid:

I also held the door open for the examiner, which shocked him a little. I recommend doing that as he may think your manners transfer to the road. (and you should probably hold doors open for people anyway.)

In my opinion the mod 1 was far more stressful than mod 2. I failed first time. Purely stress related.

Second time I did it, I went in relaxed and calm. Sailed through.

Keep calm relaxed and confident.

good luck.

Sorry guys! by now you'll probably have gathered I failed yesterday, just about getting over it now :-/ I thought I had failed because I kicked the inner cone on the hazard avoidance ( I did that a lot in training, any tips? ) But as it turned out I had already failed as my second look on the U turn was too late. I've booked another for Christmas eve at a different test centre due to availability. I can't say I'm all that confident but will go for it, what will be and all that, If I fail again will have to look at some intensive training the day before or something. Its a pain as the cost is a lot when using a school and their bike .

Sorry to hear that.

Hazard avoidance advice. Don't look down at the cones. Look forward.

Stick with it. It's all worth it in the end.

:stupid:

This. Look ahead and push hard on the bars to the right to zip round and then back to the left. Make your trainer let you practice it untill you can do it 3 times in a row without fail. As for U-turn.. It's a silly mistake but it's easily done. Don't beat yourself up Mod 1 is probably the harder of the two most will agree. Do lots of practice with your trainer untill you can do it flawlessly ;)

Sorry to hear your not so good news. I think I was lucky to pass mine the other week.

Much easier to say than do but as with any exam relax... I nearly failed my mod 2 through stupidity not doing what I would normally do as it was test conditions....

For the MOD 1 I practised the in a big empty car park on the 125 weaving round the parking bays seeing how much lock I could get on how small I could do a U turn how tight a figure of 8 I could then finding what was comfortable.

I tried braking on front brake only then back brake then both brakes, I spent a good whilst just playing around. My instructor noted my improvement next lesson.

I cannot give you any solid advise on the swerve bit my instructor used to get me to weave around manhole covers, white lines etc when on the roads doing less than 40mph. I did the same when I was on the 125 just to get used to doing it, always traffic permitting (although its a great way to get the car behind to give more space :wink: ).

For my swerve test first attempted I was well under speed. Second attempt coming out of the bed I was WAY off pace I thought stuff it if I am going to fail its not for going to slow. I gunned it I got up to speed and swerved ok but looked at the blue cones and thought I have to stop for them! I ended the manoeuvre with the back we wheel slightly off the ground!

Good luck on Christmas Eve fingers crossed for you...