1st problem?

Harri

Hi all, well I've picked up a bike. A Suzuki XF650 with the unfortunate model name 'Freewind' :lol: Just over 19000 on the clock and it's a bike I'm very happy with BUT.

When I picked it up the neutral light wasn't working. The seller said he hadn't noticed and it must have just gone. So I'm thinking no more than a bulb change. Then I read this :

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~joshua/xf650/xf650.html

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showt ... light-woes

http://dr650.wikia.com/wiki/Potential_p ... e_aware_of

I'm in the process of removing a load of fairings as it seems the only way of getting at the consul holding the bulbs. When I eventually find a 12V 1.7W bulb that is! (Not at Halfords or car spare shop.) I'm guessing as I go along. The digital manual photos are total crap and a waste of space!

Check out the links and tell me what you think - change the bulb - no change - get the cover off? Would you ride it in the meantime?

Barcud

moved to the right section

without reading the links I can tell you your problem if its not a bulb or wiring!

the pick ups very rarely go wrong probably one in a million!!

if the bulb and wiring check out fine then you need to remove the gear position sensor

place it on top of a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface with the contacts facing the sandpaper then sand the sensor flat

then remove the pin and sand the end of it

they end up with a fine film on them over time and it stops the contacts working pretty common problem on suzuki's

if the bike has fuel injection you will want to sort this out asap as the bike may not be running the correct fuel map

but you can check the voltage at the connectors to see if it changes when shifting through the gears to verify that it is actually working as it could just be neutral thats not been picked up which isnt a big problem

Okay stu, I should have posted in pitstop.

Is it a bulb change first then do you think?

And then a clutch cover removal?

Not sure what this means Stu - but you can check the voltage at the connectors to see if it changes when shifting through the gears to verify that it is actually working as it could just be neutral thats not been picked up which isnt a big problem

Barcud

well if its carbed as above I would probably just live with it rather then pull the clutch cover and sensor as it can be a ball ache

yeah swap the bulb first

as for checking the voltage you need to find where the sensor joins to the wiring loom and measure the voltage as you go through the gears with the bike ignition on......it doesnt need to be running

although with it not been injected it may not alter the voltage! ........the voltage is altered to tell the ECU what gear it is in as some injected bikes have different fuel maps and retarded ignition in lower gears

Okay, I only have half the fairings off. I started the engine, held in the clutch, let down the side stand, and the engine .......

....... stayed running :) So, that would point to a bulb failure or wiring problem ? Wotcha think ?

Barcud

yup sounds like it to me!

bulbs are cheap enough to replace although wiring is free to check

which one you do first is up to you

you could always pull the bulb and stick a few bits of wire on it and connect to the battery to see if it works