Anyone play in a band?

MarkW

Had a great gig last night just outside Harrogate in a pub full of pre-New Year revellers. I prefer playing to drunks because they are less discerning, and seem happy enough to endure my hopeless bass playing. One guy was so hammered that he fell head first into the cellar. Never seen that done before. The landlord checked he was OK and then unceremoniously booted him out into the night.

I took a bass along that I've recently been considering using as my main gigging bass, and it was epic. After a few years of using MusicMan, Fender, Warwick and various others I have settled on the new Cort A5 Custom SP. Ultra playable and fantastic range of tones. Looks nice too!

I got talking to a couple of bikers at half time, and one of them said he is also a guitarist. It got me wondering who on here plays in a band, and if so what instrument, what sort of music, and where. I'm going to make an effort to see more local bands in 2015, so if you're anywhere near me I may well try to get over to see you. :D

image.jpg.7cb04cec800dbdb00f5de8dec9e5b2c8.jpg

Im in a reggae band , i wanted to play the drums but the rest of the group said I wasn't good enough so they gave me the triangle to play..... I just stand at the back and ting .

Hi Mark, I've messed about with guitars in the past. I twang on my wife's Seagull acoustic sometimes but I also have an electric guitar made here in Wales.

You don't say what type of band/music you play?

Barcud

I've been in bands, duo's and solo since the late 70's. Started in a punk band, angry young man and all that crap and travelled and matured through rock, dance, Eagles tribute, the works. I have recently hung up my guitar as Spain has been the worst place I ever experienced for live music and it isn't worth the hag of dealing with w**ker landlords who rip off musicians all the time.

If you feel the buzz of playing live then do it! I don't want to turn this into a how to form a band post, so all I will say is get out there, look them in the eye and enjoy yourself. A band having a good time covers a multitude of errors and is infectious to the crowd.

Good luck with it.

As for instruments, despite my forum name, I am a Strat whore and just love the original single coil pickups. I also played piano for a while until I found girls prefer guitarists!

As for instruments, despite my forum name, I am a Strat whore and just love the original single coil pickups. I also played piano for a while until I found girls prefer guitarists!

I play, just for fun these days, a strat but I much prefer the sound of those humbucker pickups. Gibson Les Paul is my favourit.

Just noticed your bike. Shanks Pony! I have one of those too but rarely use it these days. Prefer the ZZR or car. Shit I would even take a bus rather than take the old shanks out these days! :wink:

So would I but my Daelim finally developed too many faults, the last being the clutch falling to pieces so until some money I am waiting on comes out from the UK, I have to hoof it everywhere. 1 hp, well at least it's 0.75 more than a Daelim. :lol: I have my eyes on a VFR nearby, it's just a waiting game.

I love the Les Paul as well but found it way too heavy for a night's work, old injury and all that. I am also a big fan of the Ibanez RG series. If the money were not a problem though, I would deffo have myself a Pensa Suhr Mk1...mm yeah.

Oh yes! I do love the sound of a good Strat.

I started playing bass as an 11 year old back in the mid 1980s, and spent seven or eight years in various local bands doing the pubs and clubs thing. I also played in a few jazz / big bands and in the orchestra pit for a couple of shows before hanging up my bass for nearly 20 years. No idea why really - I guess it just disintegrated as we all moved to different parts of the country and took up other interests.

Then about three years ago I decided to learn the guitar properly, and took a few lessons with a local teacher. One day I was noodling on the bass he had in his studio, and he mentioned that his band were looking for a new bass player. Having not played seriously for so long I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't be what they were looking for, but after a very informal audition I was in! Obviously I used this as an excuse to buy the Trace Elliot rig I'd hankered after since I was a teenager, and to make up for lost time when it came to buying basses (the collection currently stands at nine, although there will be some culling in the new year).

I love every minute of the band - there's nothing to beat the buzz of playing to an enthusiastic crowd. We are basically four middle aged blokes (bass, drums, guitar, keyboard & vocals) and a slightly younger female vocalist, knocking out covers of everything from Jackie Wilson, Stevie Wonder, Rolling Stones, REM, Blondie, G&R, Bon Jovi, Lynyrd Skynyrd and 70s disco stuff through to CeeLo Green, Taylor Swift and more modern offerings. Ian Dury's 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick' is my personal favourite - great fun to play and always goes down a storm!

Our guitarist is a pro, but the rest of us just do it for fun and don't take it remotely seriously. There are half a dozen pubs and clubs here that book us regularly, and we've also been the resident band at the Great Yorkshire Show a few times. We're not slick or polished, but we're good fun! :-)

And that is exactly how it should be, it warms the cockles of my heart to hear of people being in a band, having fun, playing pubs & clubs. Wish you many more happy years of it. I miss it like hell, one of the things that I found difficult to give up.

But they do say, never say never, so who knows? :)

We are very lucky where we live that the pubs/clubs

still support local bands!

I love a live band!

I'd love to feature in one!

I have a bass, a 6 string electric and an acoustic.

I can't really play any of them!

What I can do is sing :lol:

Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome to Wembley Stadium for one night only, The TMBF Band :yawn:

I'm in!

I'm hoping to organise a charity gig in 2015 to raise some money for a young musicians charity that was set up in memory of my oldest school friend, and a fellow biker. I might see a plan forming here... :lol:

I've been in a couple of bands many years ago. I played rock on a strat back then. I only play rhythm though, don't want to make it cry or sing.

My ex wife has most of my guitars in her attic all I have with me is the Eko Ranger . No room for the other five where I'm living at the mo.

I still play some (acoustic) rock as well as country and other stuff. But I only play for my own amusement these days.

I have a Fender Mexican strat, Boss GT-10 effects unit and various stomp pedals and a Casio Clavinova digital piano.

Only play at home though, don't have time to play in bands like I did throughout my teens and early twenties.

Often think about buying a 7-string but don't know how often it would get used

Mainly into metal/prog metal/rock but listen to all kinds

Dreamtheater, Moon Safari and Haken are top of the listens at the moment (hence temptation for the 7-string)