I'm angry for him ...

Phooey

If your young it's worth putting your excess as high as it can go to bring the price of the policy down.

Then tick the box for excess insurance.

Then if you have a claim you can claim back your excess.

You do need a few £££s behind you though. Because you still need to pay the excess before you claim it back.

As for declaring the claim on the new insurance.

I've just renewed my car insurance.

One of the questions was have I been in any motoring accidents/thefts regardless of a claim being made. Asked by 3 company's

Why is my insurance so cheap anyway.

On my 125 it was only £220. On the 600RR it's only £240. And I've got a claim from when my gf crashed my car.

On my 125 it was only £220.

For the above rider MCE as with me was probably the only way to get on the road (in terms of providing an affordable insurance quote), i'm unable to understand what factors caused the excess on his policy to be so ridiculously high but I don't own the same bike so can't compare quotes to to my policy in this case.

Young riders can only dream of such a figure, of which at that point will make riding bikes more enjoyable (just because the running costs are alot cheaper).

Getting on the road for the first time is always the worst as I've told friends just because it's all money money money until you get up and running.

Who knows how the insurance market works "££££££" would be my guess.

I had the same with my car actually. It wasn't MCE but the same company as their actual name is Hastings and that's what I had my car insured with. My car is old and only worth £500 which is ok I don't mind but someone has vandalised my car and the total cost of repair was about £200. Mirror and Windows on one side. my excess is £150. They said that my car was a write off... They did nothing... And said we have no one to claim the money from so here you go... a write off... Though when they write it off they should pay you regardless. I couldn't argue. I'm Glad my car is so cheap. I just insured my bike with them and it only occurred to me that it's the same company. Let's hope I won't participate in any accident or theft [CONFOUNDED FACE]

Insurance is there to make you road legal and protect third parties.

Any additional cover (comp, TPFT etc) should be evaluated carefully. Any contact with your insurance company regarding damage of any sort will have a negative affect on your insurance history.

Work out repair costs and excess BEFORE contacting your insurance.

Work out repair costs and excess BEFORE contacting your insurance.

Totally agree Guinnless except notifying the insurance company of even the slightest knock is a legal requirement and could be very costly if found out!

I haven't reported every tiny little knock or scratch but I am supposed to!

Didn't someone post something like that on here once? Something about having a minor prang, settling it with the other driver (who admitted responsibility at the time) there and then, agreeing not to mention it to their insurance companies, then a short while afterwards the other driver made an insurance claim stating it wasn't his fault, and the bike owner was up a certain creek because they didn't notify their insurer about it...

Didn't someone post something like that on here once? Something about having a minor prang, settling it with the other driver (who admitted responsibility at the time) there and then, agreeing not to mention it to their insurance companies, then a short while afterwards the other driver made an insurance claim stating it wasn't his fault, and the bike owner was up a certain creek because they didn't notify their insurer about it...

If that was the case then people would be reporting "accidents" all the time with a view to claiming whiplash etc by picking out any registration and reporting them to your own insurance saying they hit you??

It's the other way around. If you try to claim off somebdy else who did hit you and they haven't reported it then you have a difficult job tryinging to get them to report it so you can claim the money. I'be been in that situation, I couln't get any money until he had reported it to his own insurance.

notifying the insurance company of even the slightest knock is a legal requirement

According to which statute?

It might be a requirement under the contract of insurance between you and your insurer, but it's not a statutory requirement.

Only time you need to involve insurers in my view is when there's a potential claim situation. Otherwise it's none of their business.

notifying the insurance company of even the slightest knock is a legal requirement

It might be a requirement under the contract of insurance between you and your insurer, but it's not a statutory requirement.

Only time you need to involve insurers in my view is when there's a potential claim situation. Otherwise it's none of their business.

That was badly worded Bogof, it may not be a legal requirement but insurance company require you to report all incidents regardless of whether a claim was made or not.

Most go unreported.. If your bike drops off its stand and breaks the clutch lever, you're not likely to report it are you!

Or if you reverse into someone in a quiet car park, you can save £100s that way :cheers:

Most go unreported.. If your bike drops off its stand and breaks the clutch lever, you're not likely to report it are you!

Only if you cause damage to the tarmac :wink:

That was badly worded Bogof, it may not be a legal requirement but insurance company require you to report all incidents regardless of whether a claim was made or not.

Do they though? Surely they are only interested in losses, changes to your licence status or modifications to your bike that affect performance or desirability.

Mr Guinnless here : I've scuffed the righthand mirror

Mr Guinnless here : I've scuffed the lefthand mirror

Mr Guinnless here : I've scratched the fairing undoing a screw

Mr Guinnless here : I've blown the fuse to the brakelights

Mr Guinnless here : I've fixed the fuse to the brakelights

Mr Guinnless here : I've screen has got a stonechip

Mr Guinnless here : I've screen has got a second stonechip

Mr Guinnless here : I've screen has got a third stonechip

etc

:D

The problem is we have spawned a monster with vehicle insurance

The real money is compensation and repairs and the insurance company's are well aware of this and want to facilitate claims

Insurance almost seems like a lost leader to the majority of bikers (old and with NCD like me :D ) because they cant really make any real money out of us with comparison sites ,that's why youngsters are being fleeced...because they can .

shocking on a product required by law

Do they though? Surely they are only interested in losses, changes to your licence status or modifications to your bike that affect performance or desirability.

Mr Guinnless here : I've scuffed the righthand mirror

Mr Guinnless here : I've scuffed the lefthand mirror

Mr Guinnless here : I've scratched the fairing undoing a screw

Mr Guinnless here : I've blown the fuse to the brakelights

Mr Guinnless here : I've fixed the fuse to the brakelights

Mr Guinnless here : I've screen has got a stonechip

Mr Guinnless here : I've screen has got a second stonechip

Mr Guinnless here : I've screen has got a third stonechip

etc

:D

My wife works for LV and they require every incident to be reported. As in actual incident like scratched on the gatepost reversing in not bulb blown or fuse blown. Even if no claim is made it then gives them a driving history on which to base any future quotes.

I know not all companies want this but they often ask when you ring for a quote, any incidents claimed or not claimed. Maybe your ins company don't but LV and I know some others do.