clutch cover removal - snapped bolt?

Harri

Hi all, managed to get the clutch cover off before checking out the neutral sensor - one bolt as shown in the pic just wasn't shifting, I could almost feel it twist, and gentle as I could, it still snapped! What is the best method guys for removing this bolt please? Top middle of the pic.

326637480_sensor1.thumb.jpg.a322a90fdc70b6c88de0bd7d1d4221a0.jpg

Okay Bob I think I can handle that.

I'm off to Halfords to get a 21 + 22mm socket as the sump bolt has to be a size I havn't got :cry:

Hopefully they will have something like an easy out :wink:

Many thanks as ever and I'd feed back later.

Hi guys, the advice is sound and I'll check things out in daylight in the morning. I have actually bought an extractor from Halfords now. I watched a video in a shop selling them a few weeks back, thought they looked and worked great, but thought I would never need one :roll:

A loonnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time ago I remember drilling a snapped bolt in a C15 then hammering in an allen key and turning it, it worked :lol:

Barcud

I bought a Laser screw extractor from Halfords today, before I saw any of your replies. I've also just read reviews for this kit and quite a few reviewers were not impressed at all after extractors snapped in bolts and screws :shock: Not sure if I want to use it now as a snapped extractor in a bolt is just gonna make things worse for me.

Barcud

• 2 weeks later...

I've always used screw extractors. Start with the tiny drill bit first then go up in size with the reversed screw sets. Shouldn't be tough getting out as they shouldn't be torqued that much anyway.

Not tried the left hand drill bits but certainly makes sens. May try it out next time I shear something.

But if you have got enough sticking out, the dremel way will be much safer especially with an impact driver (I bloody love those things! Got me out of many a tight spot).

Never had any joy with easy out extractors,they normally snap leaving hardened steel embedded in bolt.Instead of plus gas I would use shock and unlock from Halfords heat the area around the bolt then spray the bolt with S&U this helps to cool the bolt and hopefully it will contract enough to give you a bit of movement.This worked on my header bolts.