Sump bolt thread problem?

Harri

Hi all. the idea was to drop the oil today and see if anything materialised from the sump. i.e. 2 screws and a spring!

Firstly, the sump bolt didn't feel right as I was undoing it! There seemed to be more turning than there should be. When the bolt did come out it had been wound with ptfe. Is this the done thing?

Secondly, no bits from the sump. It looks as if there is a filter at the sump hole. The screws and spring will have to remain in the sump!

Thirdly. I was right to doubt the sump bolt. It has obviously been over tightened at some point and either the bolt thread is crossed or the crankcase? Hence the ptfe me thinks. The bolt just spins at the point where it should have tightened!

Is it a matter of putting fresh ptfe on OR getting a new sump bolt? We don't know if it is the bolt or crankcase crossed so what do you think guys?

Barcud

It'd be unlikely to have threaded the bolt - you'd see it on the threads anyway.

You can chance your arm with fresh PTFE (I've done worse and got away with it). A better option would be a heli-coil or re-tap the sump threads.

If you helicoil it you would be better off buying a gasket and dropping the sump to see if you can find the bits your looking for. Helicoil it while its of the bike.

Trouble is that the bike doesn't have a sump pan.......it would need a complete engine strip to split the crankcases..... :shock:

If you helicoil it you would be better off buying a gasket and dropping the sump to see if you can find the bits your looking for. Helicoil it while its of the bike.

Trouble is that the bike doesn't have a sump pan.......it would need a complete engine strip to split the crankcases..... :shock:

neither did my TL but I managed it without stripping :wink:

drill and tap it then once finished throw a load of petrol into the sump via the clutch cover remember to use a lot of grease on the drill and tap to stop swarf going everywhere

this will wash it out and any swarf with it

I know it works as I have seen it with my own eyes on my TL :lol:

you have to remember that the oil has to go through a filter and a strainer before it goes around the engine and you would have to be extremely unlucky for the engine to go pop from not washing it out properly

this was a tip given to me by an engine builder and TL racer who has done many like this with no problems :)

A company sells a valve that you can glue/ metal fill into the damaged sump bolt hole. You never have to remove the sump bolt again. There is a short tube and a valve off the end of the tube to allow oil draining. Costs about £35 though.

A company sells a valve that you can glue/ metal fill into the damaged sump bolt hole. You never have to remove the sump bolt again. There is a short tube and a valve off the end of the tube to allow oil draining. Costs about £35 though.

the problem with these is they sit further out than the sump bolt and they are susceptible getting ripped off!

I know of a few stories of this happening although this is on sports bikes that are generally low

This is the standard valve that is stated for my XF650. It would hang 10mm lower than my current sump bolt but this wouldn't matter as the original bolt sits above the bikes crash plate.

http://www.quickvalve.co.uk/f111_details.htm

But if the thread in the crankcase is knackered it will need rethreading. Then the 14mm thread on the valve would be too small.

Barcud

So wait... This nifty little number means one would no longer have to suffer oil all over one's hands, would allow a predictable flow of oil during draining and speed up the oil changing process?

Why do we all not have these already?

So wait... This nifty little number means one would no longer have to suffer oil all over one's hands, would allow a predictable flow of oil during draining and speed up the oil changing process?

Why do we all not have these already?

I'll defo be getting one of these on my next oil change. Fantastic bit of kit.

You need to measure the outside diameter of your sump bolt and how far apart the tops of the threads are to get the correct pitch. If you screw the valve thread into a damaged sump thread with arraldite or metalmend on it , it will become part of the sump and shouldn't leak again. You don't necessarily have to rethread it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-XF-650 ... 3390b75b38

This is the one I was told about. Bit dearer than yours though. Here's how it works

http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil ... EN_400.gif

The Quickvalve listed for your bike, Suzuki XF 650 Freewind (AC) 1997-2002 , is listed at £20 though?

Yes Mega, it looks interesting and it is just on £20 for a standard valve for my bike.

If I put this valve in with araldite or metalmend how sure could I be it wouldn't leak?

Barcud

If you flush all the oil out of the sump with petrol, warm it dry, then use brake cleaner on the sump and valve, apply arraldite or a plastic metal with lots of aluminium in it and keep sump warm while it sets, you should be successful. If it does leak, just remove it and fit a thread repair adapter, then clean up the valve and screw it back in with some silicone sealant on the threads.

Have you guys heard about self tapping piggy back sump bolts ?

A self tapping sump bolt firstly. As you are likely to remove and replace it a few times for oil changes and increase the chance of stripping the thread again, the tapped bolt stays in and into this goes another bolt that IS taken out when changes are needed.

I don't know much about them so will google and check them out now.

Barcud

Stu, when you drilled and tapped your TL what did you upsize the thread and bolt to? I think your TL had an original size M14 with a 1.25 pitch, yes? If so that's the same size as my XF.

Barcud