Sump bolt thread problem?

Harri

Cheers Stu. This place is quite close to where I live. There are also kits with a mix of different sizes. I'd just want something that is quality and not cheap which would hopefully give me a better chance of getting things right. Surely it would be better/safer than the current plug replaced with ptfe again :shock:

Barcud

Like I said Barcud, with the valve installations, you don't need to drill and tap a new thread, you just need to araldite or plastic metal the valve into the hole. As long as there's something to grip onto , the valve will seal!!!

Hi Mega, I almost forgot about that option as I've also been dealing with the sensor problem, and the snapped bolt problem. With the valve option I would be relying on the araldite to give me a seal which I thought might be a weakness waiting to be exploited. Though working as a valve if it did seal then it would never have to be removed again. It would be a brilliant choice as a replacement for a sound plug and hole. I guess the araldite part of it is making me a touch nervous :roll:

Something has also just sprang to my mind! The snapped bolt has been re-threaded before, so perhaps the sump hole and bolt should be checked in case it too has been re-threaded in the past?

Barcud

Hey Barcud, will the valve actually fit between your sump and your sump guard? A quick Google search hasn't found any pics of the belly of a Freewind so I dunno where everything is positioned. I'm sure you're probably safe but better to ask now than find out later :)

Hey Rant, the thought entered my head as soon as I posted the reply to Mega. It's the 37mm I need to check as that is the widest point. And I think that part of the valve would also be level with the plate. A modification to the sump plate guard wouldn't be too difficult I guess.

http://www.quickvalve.co.uk/F-111_dimensions.pdf

(Just watching stage 5 Dakar.)

Barcud

Edited by Harri

No spoilers, I'm recording it! My housemates are hogging the TV to watch a documentary about high-class sex parties :lol:

If you're thinking of chopping a bit out of the sump guard to make room for the valve, you'd want to be bloody careful if you ever took it off road - imagine having your sump bolt catch on a rock or root :shock: If your sump guard mounts similarly to mine then you could probably get away with grabbing some longer bolts and sticking some spacers between the frame and the guard, as a suggestion.

Just buy a valve, degrease the threads and screw the fookin thing in with a load of silicone on it. If it won't tighten up use some filler on it. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill mate, JFDI FFS.

C'mon guys......I can understand barcud's concern here......last thing you need is the bike dumping it's oil all over the rear tyre and then seizing...... :shock: Not saying your solution wouldn't work Alan......but I wouldn't be comfortable with that. The one time that I did strip the drain plug thread I was lucky in that a replacement sump pan was easily available (before the days of internet!!).

Personally I'd go with the one size up option......plenty of grease on the tap to hold the swarf.......and a copper washer on the new drain plug.......but that's just me....... :wink: Helicoil would be my next preferred option.